Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you ashamed of playing Magic?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Are you ashamed of playing magic?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 41

Void06

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dude magic is super cool
Thorns

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started secondary 1 (grade 7, I live in Canada), we were a group of about 15 people playing MTG. Over the course of junior high (grade 7-8 ), the popularity of the game dwindled to about 7 players. In sec 3, we were perhaps 5 who played on a regular basis, and 2 or 3 who would join occasionally. What was cool was that I actually had teacher who played, so he started a club during lunch time, which brought the popularity up a little, though Yu-Gi-Oh was superior. In sec 4, we lost another 3 players who decided to go for the easier Yu-Gi-Oh, so we were down to 3. I gradually quit, but played whenever I had time. The reason for me doing this was that I was involved in the school's variety show, doing backstage, so my time was mostly dedicated to that. I am now in sec 5, and the year has just started. I plan on playing Magic at least once a week, but this may prove difficult, due to graduation buisness, work, backstage duties, student council duties and driving lessons. I know that at least two players will keep on playing, but I hope more players will join this year, because all three of the major and experienced players (including myself) will be graduating this year and therefore, there will be no one to keep the game going at school. I would know of any younger players.
That being explained, I have never been ashamed of playing Magic, why should I? I was often asked what I did during lunch, and I would honestly answer "I play Magic, which is a card game, with my friends and Mr. Purdy." The answer I would go most often was "What?! You play a stupid card game?", I would then answer "Yes I do, would like to learn?" Obviously, the answer would be no. Sometimes, the conversation would go on with the known reply: "You watse your money on pieces of cardboard." This always amused me, my answer would never change: "Waste is a big word, you my friend, waste your money on soccer equipment (or any other given sport/hobby). Besides, it occupies me." This would always offend whomever I was talking to.
I've been playing less and less lately, but I sometimes go back to the cardroom to play and check out what's going on. Sometimes I sit down for a quick game and someone comes around looking for me, and they are always surprised to see me playing a CCG. I'm not the popular guy, but I am fairly known and respected, and people always find it surprising I play some "lame" card game. I have never found a reason to be ashamed of my hobbies, and no one should.

If you chose to play MTG, its your choice, people might criticize, but don't let yourself be influenced, they have nothing to complain about.

And as for your ex-girlfriend, ElvishGod, what can she do about your hobbies? If she liked you, it was for who are, and your hobbies are part of whom you are.
Thorns, signing off... Wink
Wiley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this one time I got laid cos i was like 'hey bitch I'll trade you an isochron sceptre for some sex' and she was like 'sure thing I'm trying to get a playset of those'

true story
Thorns

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_PREDATOR wrote:
Hey, me and another friend of mine are "Jocks" and both play magic, as did about 10 players on our team. Worse yet, we would always talk about it in the lockeroom. We play football (American) and he couldn't catch worth a damn, so for a week straght he found a copy of Stone Hands inside his helmet. Very Happy

I think you forgot to type part of your story there... Confused
Paellin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its seems theres allot of people who play magic in addition to sports, kinda weird and works against a stereo type wich is cool, but n.e. way, no, im not ashamed to play magic, and even showing up to a tourny full of over weight people doesnt bother me THAT much! (all though the unbaethed thing does.) Why should you be ashamed that you play a card game? thats like saying im ashamed that i enjoy cooking (wich i do).
Fools

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

a hobby is a hobby... i do remember one thing though about mtg irl...

i was at my local shop and a friend of mine brought his binder full of crap so i figured as a joke i would take a bunch of stuff and then at the end of the day give it back.. when no one was looking i took like 300 dollars worth of stuff from the binder. Only problem was, it wasn't my friends binder. it was this 300 lb scary dude. i didnt know that at the time though so i just went around laughing for about 20 minutes until i hear this monstrous dude saying "where the hell is all my stuff? someone stole my cards." and all his cronies were like ahh man who would do that shit and stuff like that. i finally put the pieces together and realized i took his stuff.. i went up to him and said i was sorry and that it was a joke i meatn to play on my friend and that all his stuff was there. he didnt say anything for about 3 minutes and just stared at me. i thought i was gonna piss my pants this guy was huge and angry. then he put his hand on my shoulder and said "if you had actually played it on your friend it would have been funny but you didnt. you are lucky i dont kick your ass." then i did piss my pants. he left two minutes after that and everyone said the dude had a history of beating the shit out of people... even little kids (which was me at the time)... thank god that guy had a sense of humor...

well thats it.. dunno how relevant it is to the topic but one of the few things i remember from mtg irl (i havent played mtg in about 2 years now).

and i will never be ashamed of something i like doing. if poeple say something then its o well. in high school and middle school when people would say stuff. i just said i made money from it (i really didnt though, i was garbage at mtg) and people said oh ok whatever.
GarbageDay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I hear someone say that Magic is for nerds, I invite them to visit the local store for a FNM tourny. 6/10 people there can kick their judgemental ass and 2/10 are just too polite to do it. Hell, one guy who plays the game at my store beats the shit out of people for a LIVING. I am ashamed occasionally though when people say it's for nerds and weird people, because in the back of my mind I know that there is still another 2/10 I missed, and that is, yes, for the nerds. Whenever I go to a pre-release tournament and see the fat, greasy, smelly guy with the glasses and a "Free Hot Dog *arrow pointing down*" shirt on, I die a little on the inside.

Not really a story, more of a point, but I know guys who bring their girlfriends to FNM tournaments occasionaly. And strangely enough, they don't even mind it. Now that's true love.
Sprie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend finds it kind of cute that i play magic and a little surprising. I took her to a pre-release one time and she was little shocked that a guy like me played it at first(I'm 6'5 200lbs black football player) but now she is trying to learn how to play. I'm not ashamed to play magic, when I meet people that say its a game for nerds and such, I tell them I play and their view usually changes about the game. I love the game. Its a game that forces you to think outside of the box and is a great way to meet people and make new friends. Some of the nice people and best-friends I have, I have meet be playing magic.
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eidolonz wrote:
you know, this thread almost sounds like that one a few weeks bakc after that joke sexual harrasment thread.

I'm not ashamed, I keep it as one of those things that if it comes up I'll explain why I like playing

And the link to that.. It's a big part of my life, seeing as how my lady calls me a dork daily. Confused

http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3897

I'm not ashamed, but I do tire of people who don't know the ins and outs thinking im a "nerd/dork/immature" for playing.
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a 7'8" professional basketball player and i play magic
snoopster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait.... EG doesn't play mtg anymore?
snoopster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telling people you play magic is the nut low
Laplie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_Moo wrote:
@everyone who votes yes in the poll - Quit.

I would have to disagree with this (though I am not ashamed). People are ashamed of doing many things, that doesn't mean they should stop doing it. Some people are ashamed of having sex before marriage, or masturbating even though both of those things are perfectly ok (at least by my value system).

Just because you are ashamed of something you do, it doesn't mean you can't also have fun doing it.
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kebe wrote:
YAH I WHERE MY JSS NATS SHIRT AND MY JSS BACKPACK TO SCHOOL EVERYDaY
and then i tell ppl that my structure and force deck iS SAVAGAGEGAGE
btw inviting any1 to a cardshop is a great idea for making new friends yall need to try it

yeah i meet most of my friends doing this

btw eg wrestling doesn't really count. you can wrestle, play lacrosse, run track/cc and be a nerd/not a jock
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mentioned wrestling as though it hypothetically might have kept you from being a nerd
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3