Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you consider the "poison mechanic" somewhat pop

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks

Among casual players, do you consider poison a "popular" mechanic?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 31

Quetzilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Do you consider the "poison mechanic" somewhat pop Reply with quote

BEFORE VOTING:

By "popular" I mean to ask: do people like it? I am not asking, is poison popular in the sense that it gets played a lot. The point of this poll is for me to determine if people like the poison mechanic enough that they would like to see it elaborated on and made more interesting/playable.

Please ask anyone you can to vote as I only have a few days to use this information :O

Thanks
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played a newer player who wasn't bad, he just didn't know the past of magic. He stomped me the first game with a ld deck. I then proceeded to tally up the poison counters in g2 and he looked at me in disgust, said "Thats Gay!" and stormed away from the table... Baby... Sandler, you know who he is... I loooove poison... I was realy hoping Betrayers would reintroduce it because of all the snakes...
SOAD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison mechanich os cool Cool
kikimikejiki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are we voting on this i dont see the relevance
punkjay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikimikejiki wrote:
why are we voting on this i dont see the relevance

Why did you write this message i dont see the point

Anyway, I like the mechanic but unfortunately pretty much all the poison creatures are just so bad I've never been able to make a proper deck out of them. You can just get so much better creatures with same mana, beating for ~30 damage in the same time...of course if you're playing against some sort of "life gain deck" it's a different story...
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concepcion wrote:
I think its a boring mechanic. Its too similar to death by life totals (just substituting 10 counters for 20 damage).

So is mill. It's like substituting 60 cards for 20 damage, and mill is very popular in the casual crowd.
Quetzilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main purpose in asking this has to do with the "Great Designer Search" contest on www.magicthegathering.com (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/designersearch/round1).

Question 3 asks how you would improve an existing popular mechanic, and I wanted to see if poison could be considered "popular" enough to qualify. The fact that in its current state it is largely unplayable but (to me) still fairly cool, is why I want to use it as my mechanic to *improve* upon.

I hope that answers any questions as to the point of this poll. Please keep finding people to vote! Yes for Poison currently has the lead, but it would help to have a sizable margin one way or the other!
Laplie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicqaz wrote:
Concepcion wrote:
I think its a boring mechanic. Its too similar to death by life totals (just substituting 10 counters for 20 damage).

So is mill. It's like substituting 60 cards for 20 damage, and mill is very popular in the casual crowd.

mill is different. When you mill someone, you're removing some of their play options in the process. If you mill away, o Jester's Cap, or Cranial Extract a person's only remaining win conditions, you can take your time to beat them.

OTOH, poison counters is extremely similar to losing life. For example, almost all the poison creatures require an attack to give poison counters. If you have to attack anyway, its much easier to simply use more efficient creatures to reduce their life total.

The two advantages of poison counters is that you only need 10, and fewer people have ways of removing poison counters in their deck than do lifegain. However, the fact that you only need 10 counters is overcompensated by the cost/weakness of the poison creatures. And in most formats lifegain is irrelevant so you're not gaining a big advantage in that department either.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1