Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with a rule.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Argent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, give up on the extension ideas. Wether they be for time or turns. They arn't enforcable or acceptable here. Now if my suggestion of takeing the Game 2 winner as the tie breaking way this will actuly HELP prevent stalling. If you're going to win game 1, then yes stalling MAY help aid you under the current rules. Under the G2 winner, stalling game two doesn't make sense. If the game is already going long you NEED to win game 2 and then get into game 3 to have any hope anyways. Stalling in game 2 would give that person, even if they are certain of winning game 2, the possibility of haveing a very limited game 3, and luck becomes more and more an issue. To the point a last turn burn will kill anyone. It'd be to the G2 winners advantage to have TIME to play G3 either for a quick win or time to come back to tie at least if he/she got down. The logic isn't crystal clear on this, but statistics would show that stalling wouldn't help makeing it into G3.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even better than G2 winner is flipping. That's the best and only fair way.
Argent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Why do many people insist that flipping is acceptable form of deciding a match? It invlolves no skill, takes nothing about the matchup into consideration, and has nothing to do with MTG! At the very least come up with some other possible solutions with the guidlines of no extensions (time or turns), takes the skill of the players involved in to account, and is easily interupritable and enforcable by the judges.

I have a few other ideas that fit those guidlines myself, but I'll see if there is any more discusion on this beyond whinning and 'coin flipping' first.
Argent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, those are fairly valid points regarding not picking one of the two games. How about this for a suggestion instead. Withing the same guidlines, no time extension, relying on the skill of the players. The tie breaker goes to the player who has the largest life differnce of the prev games. Pretty simple, player A won game one 16-0 and player B won game two 12-0, player A would have the largest differance and thus would be the winner of the match. When a player conceades a game (as is often the case) you take thier life as 0 for these calculations. I dont see any easily exploitable ways to stall your way to victory in this case, nor do I think its difficult for people playing here to grasp it. If we can remember complex card interactions and obscure rules, we can remember these simple numbers. If AGAIN the players are tied as both games were won by the exact same margin, then perhaps a coin flip or other random method is acceptable. Not before then. What do you think?
Volcanon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule I dont like is the "no extra turns", etc, because nearly every mini I ever entered here featured an opponent who tried to slowball game 3.
Senadai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
How would you handle games that are won through milling?

greetz Nico

or win the game or lose the game cards ;|.

~Senadai
Argent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the odd case of milling or alternate win conditions, thats up for discussion. Either take the life as is it but the looser at 0, or some preset number like 10-0 for the winner. Simple to take the life as is and might encourage decks like millers or alt winners to play faster so as to preserve thier life totals from dipping to low in a game. (like they would be REALLY worried about a tie g3 as they would probably be less life at time of end g3 anywyas) Please feel free poke more reasonable holes in the theory (and if so perhaps come up with alternatives if you can, it makes for a smoother process)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2