Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic-League Championship

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
Bluejay216

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Magic-League Championship Reply with quote

I was wondering if you guys would be interested in doing a Magic-League Championship. It would be a tournament at the end of the year like SCG does (MTG Players Championship). We could treat it like a master for the top X players. We would only do it once a year and it would only include specific players. We might be able to put in prize support like you do for a master.

I would have to discuss it with flippi, Kaesh, and Oppl, but if we were to do it the format would be Day 1: Draft one of the big Side Sets of the year (3 rounds) followed by Modern (4 rounds). Day 2 Draft the most recent Standard legal block (3 rounds) followed by Standard (4 rounds). Top 8 would be Standard, the decklist are the same that you used for the Day 2 Standard. This is the same format that they use at the Players Championship.

This could help out Magic-League by giving players a goal to shoot for. We would do it at the end of the year and we could make it so points do not reset at all throughout the year. It also gives players an extra incentive to do well. If we could throw in prize support, you know that if you are in that top X of players you have a shot at the money or whatever we would put up for the winner. The format would be more competitive than a regular master since it is multiple formats. The Tournament would also be held over multiple days (2 or 3) so it isn't just 5 hours and done, you would have to put in time if you were to judge the tournament or play in it.

To keep track of the points since we would have to run multiple tournaments to make this viable is we could set up a forum on reddit or Magic-League to keep track of decks and points. This way you know how many points you have, and you can also see how many points others have.
AlexPistols

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic-League Championship Reply with quote

Bluejay216 wrote:
I was wondering if you guys would be interested in doing a Magic-League Championship. It would be a tournament at the end of the year like SCG does (MTG Players Championship). We could treat it like a master for the top X players. We would only do it once a year and it would only include specific players. We might be able to put in prize support like you do for a master.

I would have to discuss it with flippi, Kaesh, and Oppl, but if we were to do it the format would be Day 1: Draft one of the big Side Sets of the year (3 rounds) followed by Modern (4 rounds). Day 2 Draft the most recent Standard legal block (3 rounds) followed by Standard (4 rounds). Top 8 would be Standard, the decklist are the same that you used for the Day 2 Standard. This is the same format that they use at the Players Championship.

This could help out Magic-League by giving players a goal to shoot for. We would do it at the end of the year and we could make it so points do not reset at all throughout the year. It also gives players an extra incentive to do well. If we could throw in prize support, you know that if you are in that top X of players you have a shot at the money or whatever we would put up for the winner. The format would be more competitive than a regular master since it is multiple formats. The Tournament would also be held over multiple days (2 or 3) so it isn't just 5 hours and done, you would have to put in time if you were to judge the tournament or play in it.

To keep track of the points since we would have to run multiple tournaments to make this viable is we could set up a forum on reddit or Magic-League to keep track of decks and points. This way you know how many points you have, and you can also see how many points others have.

Top players of eternal, other or constructed?
Bluejay216

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we have a few options. We could change from the rating system and move to a system where we just follow the over all points of players. What this does is it lets people have a bad tournament and it doesn't hurt them as much. Or we could try and take the top 12 from constructed and top 12 from limited.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I would ever play in this, but I do not think the format should change mid event because that excludes some players as Some players do not play certain formats. Even the pros do not understand Each format. I personally would never bother with a tourney that was std 1 day, draft the next and modern another. I would see Zero point as those are 3 different formats. Some players are not able to transverse those and they should not be punished for that as some formats Suck.
Bluejay216

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying but like i said, this is the exact format of the Players Championship. You look at the people that go to this Players Championship every year, they play these formats and they play them well. They are all pros because they understand these formats and are very versatile.
DuckyNinja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking draft + 7 rounds day 1 and draft + 7 rounds + top cut day 2. That's just not possible without getting people into the same time zone. And quite frankly, I don't know anybody who would be interested in that without some legit prize support.
dschidi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a REALLY great idea. Fantastic!
Its exactly what is missing on magic-league. a greater goal to go for. it will motivate players to become better and play often. and the top players who are fighting for seats will have to learn the formats of the championship if they want to compete.
I think the rating system is very good to generate seats. even when u play a bad tourney u are either out or u will eventually drop if its ur 2nd or 3rd loss. so that means u have to fight back in other tourneys, but its not the end of the world.
Maybe we can get a sponsor for the event? i guess we need to provide an incentive to make it more comfortable for the players (and maybe judges) to invest that much time.
when i can help in any way i would like to do it.

great idea...really...
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really similar to the annual ML Invitational that we already have
Lord_Cuddles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Top 3 of each format ranking, top team winners, and the winner for each Master gets in.

Would that be suitable?
Lord_Cuddles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe End of Season too, not year.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I personally would only do the draft portions. since anything else would be a waste of time. This why I assume Team mtg is a thing because you have teammates who maybe suck at std but are awesome at modern, and then you find a person who sucks at modern who can std with the best. Then you just need a top drafter and thats your teams. To have 1 person excel at all is pointless and impossible.
AlexPistols

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we'll do team tournament?
Gracco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
This sounds really similar to the annual ML Invitational that we already have

I agree. The idea in the OP seems like a very overdone version of an idea that is largely redundant.

Plus ML does a big Christmas event every year also. The Christmas event could definitely use more planning and visibility though.

More planning in advance for the Invitational and the Christmas event would be very good.

Maybe we could get a more consistent schedule for Trials also. And maybe try to advertise Trials and Masters more from the perspective of a locals online and advertise ML with more of a slant on community.

Honestly I see ML as a sort of online LGS. I have made many friends in the ML community over the years I have been here and even though I may very rarely top trials the community here at ML is what matters the most to me.
Steveman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1