Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eldritch Moon Drafting guide Black

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
radioactivez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Eldritch Moon Drafting guide Black Reply with quote

Welcome to my 1st attempt at this.

I feel that Since this is the first time I am doing something like this I should give a little background on who I am. I am Mike Lints. I have been playing magic since Mirage. I started being serious about my play Around Odyssey block. I only Play Limited Seriously. I dabble in standard. I play edh mostly for fun and Casual. I consider myself a decent to Tier drafter. I have done 20+ drafts of EMN/EMN/SOI already and done fairly well in each. After the Prerelease I'll be doing more drafts weekly with my group. I may seem very narrow in my thoughts but this because I only Focus on drafting. I will be Doing this Very Similar to LSV.

Links to other colors
White http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/about18716.html
Blue http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=177993#177993
Black
Red http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=178009#178009
Green http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=178013#178013
Artifact,Lands,Colorless,Multi http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=178017#178017

My Rating System is best of 5. I'll include where in the pack I would look to draft said card and how I feel about the power level of each card. I mostly Still use the BREAK system of drafting.
Bombs: these are amazing and you Slam these down no regrets
Removal: self-explained. Kill things
Evasion: strong flyers, menace. Hard to deal with
Acceptable: I'll play it... but I want to upgrade.
KRAP: Refuse to play. I will scoop before I play.

Without Further Delay Lets dive in shall we,

Black

I would look for this mid pack. This is removal in my book. Its a littles low but it works. Also good for delirium. If you have the right creature you could use this as a buff, but I would not do it.

I would look for this mid to late pack. The pump on this is too small actually to matter. But there are so many guys in this format with a 1 butt that I could get behind this as removal.

2.5-3
I would look for this late pack. This is ok. I would not try to play this early as it messes up tempo. There are plenty pf zombies to make this a free card but do not be afraid to use it whatever your bomb may be.

I would not look for this. I understand this is removal but at 6 mana it is not enough. There are many better choices and using this would have to be a last resort. The 2 life loss and gained is not enough for me to be happy about this. Using this in my eyes is certain death.

3- (if you can make the discard work for you then 4)
I would look for this early to mid pack. Being perfectly honest the modes on this are not really amazing. You get a duress, a dead weight, or a syphon soul. I would be more inclined to use this for modes 1 and 2 with a madness card in my hand or a recurring creature that i want to yard easy.

I would look for this mid pack. This is a fine 1 drop that makes late game dead draws useful. Also black has so many creatures that can recur from the yard as does blue. Using this for a discard outlet is very nice.

2 .5(if Zombie deck 4)
I would look for this mid-pack, if i was dedicated zombies i would look for it earlier. Be warned this is not only a token maker. In a dedicated zombie deck, this can be a dismember effect. You can make zero zombies and just kill something granted you have enough zombies already.

I would not look for this.at 7 mana a 4/5 flyer is just not playable. At 5 mana this is just awful. If you can consistently make this 5 mana then cool beans. But you did all that work for just a cheaper flyer.. I could not make this worth the work. I suggest you not fester up the materials either

I would look for this mid pack. This guy can be a tad slow 4 mana for a giant spider without reach is not very good. But the ability to be more of a threat as other threats are dealt with can prove powerful. This also works fine when you sacrifice your own creatures for other uses.

I would look for this late pack, the more zombies i have the more i look. I am perfectly fine just playing this and never using the ability. Making all my zombies evasive is a fine thing for me. If I have creatures in the yard that have no business there then sure why no9t make them work overtime.

1 (if you have the other half 3.5)
I would not look for this unless I had the other half and you will find these late pack.This is a filler creature.Unless you have the other half then this is 100% worthless. Most likely you will play this early and chump or trade then get it back with scrappers to complete the mold.

3.5-4
If you can complete this meld, which is the easiest than cool, you get a very powerful overrun creature for a turn.Warning do not try to blink this guy because he will come back broken in half and then have to be remelded.

I would look for this early to midpack. At 4 mana this is marginally playable. The way you play this is to discard it and recur it for 2 mana, getting 2 bodies here makes either case worth it but there are plenty of ways to get this in the yard and to make use of it.

I would look for this early only. It will not be there after pick 3. Yes I gave Lilly a 5 she does it all. Her plus can kill many creatures in this format or make most of them too weak to factor for 2 attacks. The effect last through your combat and the opponent's. Her minus 2 helps you with delirium at a price but the ability to keep getting back threats will overwhelm them soon enough as there is only so much removal they can aim at your guys. Her ultimate (not that you need to ever use it) is a slow but Eventual death. You get an army of zombies every turn. They do not come tapped (so many effects make zombies come tapped). All around I feel she is power waiting to be tapped on. (go get her Chandra). Wink

I would look for this mid to late pack. The more things dead the better here as 3 mana for a 5+ buff can be amazing. It is a zombie so all the perks are there. Not to mention with discard outlets you can use the ability as a combat trick by discarding more to make her bigger.

I would look for this late pack. Without haste, this is too weak I feel. A 4/3 lifelink for 5 is fine but with such a small body i feel this will not survive in most cases to get over summoning sickness. If you can make this haste 75% of the time then play it happily. I will not play it unless it has haste.

3.5 with other half 3.5
I would look for this early to midpack.I like this guy without his other half just fine. There are plenty of good 3 drop or less creatures to make this a gravedigger most of the time. It can also survive many combats and be a hamper to your opponent's offensive.

I would look for this early to midpack. This is simply removal and very effective at it. It would be Murder to not run this.

I would look for this early. Six mana for a 5/5 is not much but if they try to kill this, they still have to deal with the left behind zombie. There are enough effects to put counters back on this guy that you could set up zombie armies off this. Keep note this works on cast and on both players so if you try to buff this in combat he will make a friend before your spell resolves.

I would look for this early to mid pack. This is a cruel edict 75% of the time. If you actually have a walker to use with this that is nice. There are many cases where an edict may be bad and be ready to side it out when you must.

I would look for this mid to early depending on how badly I need discard outlets. This is a fine outlet for dropping cards in the yard. You can give this flying as many times as you like in one turn. This is aggressive enough to be powerful and utility enough to be a favorite in my decks.

I would look for this late pack. This feels like a blue card. In a tempo deck this can be good but I am not sure there is room for such a deck. The 3 life loss is nice and can be effective but the card ability is their choice so all you do really is stop them from drawing for a turn. Which can be good given the right board state.

I would look for this early-mid pack, like picks 4-6. Keep note that this both yards and makes the creature into a zombie. No opponent will enjoy you taking their bomb and smacking them around with it. Be wary of blink effects as the creature will revert back to owner.

4 4.5(if you can abuse it)
I would look for this early and after I get 2 copies I would stop. The hardest part about this is sacrificing a creature. But to kill 2 of theirs is a price I can normally pay no problem. This gets around indestructible. Most of the time the discard is meh at best or you can make it work for you by discarding something useful. Just once I want to play this and kill 3 things by discarding a fiery temper. That would be so ruthless

I would not look for this unless I needed filler at 3 mana. The ability on this does not exist in my book. This is one of the worst discard outlets I could think of. I am kicking myself to use this. No thanks. I see situations where this could be good but those take more set-up than just passing this and picking a better card.

I would look for this mid to late pack. The first half of this is ok but its when you get delirium on this really shines as a 1 mana giant growth that stays in effect. Notice additional in the text. That's very nice.

2.5-3(to dedicated vampires)
I would look for this mid-pack as I doubt this is early drafted unless someone Really wants to be Vampire. The one per turn makes this a tad bit slow but if you can get enough vampires it becomes an anthem most of the time.

I would look for this midpack. What happened here? This is a 3 mana sign in blood. Well I guess 1 more mana for instant speed is acceptable. No no no it is not. I must not succumb, but it is so tempting to use this. Feel free to be tempted.

I would be looking for this midpack. A 3 mana warpath ghoul is not very exciting but a 3 mana 4/3 menace.. that sounds like a dog I can get behind. This hound will be biting many people I feel and I would prefer to be holding the leash.

4 (if you get Triskaidekaphobia then you Achieve greatness)
I would look for this very early as it will not be there later. With or without the other half this is a problem for your opponent. To start with this is a 0/13. Let that sink in. There is Very little in this format that can kill this.There are not many ways to get instant death-touch so you can block freely almost. Once this lives 1 turn and you get to use the ability if becomes that much harder to kill. Any aggressive deck would run smack into this tree and be hindered until it falls.

I would look for this midpack. A fine 1 drop as it is hard to block and has lifelink. The 3 drop zombie from SOI is slightly better yes but this is not bad either.

3-4
I would look for this early to mid pack.At 5 mana this is horrible. If you can madness this than it is worth it as a 3 mana 3/3 flyer is fine. Transforming this is hard but worth the investment if you can get enough tokens or creatures that you do not mind killing, you can wreck their board. The smart play is to drop this for 5 late game and sac 3 guys on the spot.

You could not pay me to look for this. Not only is this a weak creature but it is an auto 3 for 1. No thanks. I do not like having a horrible card mill away my bombs or good cards. I know the all the talk about self-mill being good for you at times. I have had it be bad enough at times that I just quit going for it.

I would only look for this as filler. I am not a fan of hill giants. Even the madness is not too amazing here. This is one vampire who may be too weird to be played.

3.5-4
I would look for this mind pack. One of the worst cards ever in limited is Mind-rot. They get to pick their worst cards and discard them. This is not that. This is hymn. Now a hymn effect I can get behind and they cannot chose to abuse this as the random is amazing. If you can get delirium this is a true hymn. Be warned, though if they are dedicated madness, let me lower my voice here. Side this out.

That wraps up black. I feel black got a very nice removal package but the creatures are lacking I would put black as the dead center of the rating scale 3 out of 5.

Last edited by radioactivez on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
skeven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rise from the grave is such a good card, during my first draft, P1p1 was emrakul and got like 2 rise from the grave, back to back and that was my game play trying to reanimate emrakul on turn 4/5, its almost unbeatable when he comes down so early, noted you dont get its cast effect so it wasnt that bad, a 13/13 flyer with protection from sorceries is great hence the removal in emn-emn-soi is so much sorcery based
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeven wrote:
rise from the grave is such a good card, during my first draft, P1p1 was emrakul and got like 2 rise from the grave, back to back and that was my game play trying to reanimate emrakul on turn 4/5, its almost unbeatable when he comes down so early, noted you dont get its cast effect so it wasnt that bad, a 13/13 flyer with protection from sorceries is great hence the removal in emn-emn-soi is so much sorcery based

he has protection from instants
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1