Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 354 - Judged

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
AlexPistols

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split-Eye Witch
Shards of Alara - common
Creature - human shaman
BB
1/1
Sacrifice a creature: put a +1/+1 counter on Split-Eye Witch
Grok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging:

TheRealPlaty wrote:

The Dragon Winds 3G

Global Enchantment - Common - Scourge

Whenever a dragon enters the battlefield get a 1/1 baby dragon.

The problem with this card is that it wouldn't work in the current set of Scourge because, as you said, it only had 5 dragons. Wizards doesn't print commons that only interact with rares. Another minor quibble is that the dragon tokens don't have flying or firebreathing or something. An enchantment that creates a token each turn is nice for rewarding you to play more of a certain creature type, but the design has been done a million times before.

radioactivez wrote:
Avacyn's favor W
Instant

Prevent the next 3 damage to target creature. If that creature is an Angel you gain 5 life.

This card is basically just a reprint of Healing Salve with a slight flavor tweak. Gaining 5 life as an upside to a combat trick is a real benefit, which might make this playable in some draft decks. Still, this card isn't doing anything interesting, and the flavor seems weird to me. Shouldn't you get the benefit when Avacyn protects humans, not other angels?

GreenBear wrote:
Unspeakable island Land - common

Unspeakable island come's into play tapped. When Unspeakable Island comes into play put the top card of your library into your graveyard.

Tap add U or R to your mana pool.

To find, such an island is one thing to tell of it another.

This is a nice little common fixer in a set that, as you point out, lacked dual lands. I like that the UR land has the effect of milling your top card, which might work with soulshift in limited or Top in constructed. However, it seems that you are implying that all lands in this cycle would also mill a card. I think this is a real missed opportunity for other small, unique effects like the common tap lands in BFZ (Mortuary Mire). It would have been way cooler if each land also synergized slightly with what that color combination was doing in limited.

Thelemys wrote:
Collapsing Rampart 2RR
Instant C
Target creature with defender gains trample and +X/+0 where X is it's toughness. It loses defender. Destroy it at the end of the turn.
A higher wall means more havoc when it collapses.

I really love the flavor of this card. It reminds me of Crumbling Colossus, but for any wall. I think you could have pushed the power level even more here by making it cheaper, or making it into a repeatable effect that is also a wincon like Vent Sentinel (although that may have worked better at uncommon). I also like how you tried to improve the draft format by giving walls more support and flexibility.

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
General's Aide
1W
Common
Creature-Human Soldier

Exalted

1/3

A nice, simple common that would fit perfectly into M13. However, this is functionally identical to Ethercast Knight from Alara Reborn, albeit easier to cast. I like that you chose to go simple with your design, but I wish it filled a hole in the Exalted deck (there is already a common 2 drop in White) and that it wasn't a color-shifted version of an existing card.

Stucco wrote:
Resolve of the Kami......1WW
Sorcery...........................C

Target Spirit creature you control gets +1/+1 for each other Spirit creature you control and gains lifelink until the end of turn.

It began with a whisper. It grew to a roar. In the end, nothing remained.

A cleanly designed reward for drafting Spirits. I actually think this card could be a little stronger, or at least count the creature it is targeting as a Spirit. Your first design wasn't far off from being a common, if you consider recent finisher cards like Swarm Surge that pump your team and give a conditional benefit. I think it would have been balanced at 5 or 6 mana, which is when you want to be casting it anyway. Anyway, there's not much to complain about here, but also not much that inspires me. I think that's the problem with both designing and critiquing commons: there is a very fine line between a great common and a bland common, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Thorn Light WG

Instant - Common

Target creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.

Thorn Light deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Under the sunless dark the blood moon goblins thrived, but the thorns they hated and the light they despised.

I don't like breaking the color pie as it stands today, but I'll give you a pass because you are designing a card as if you were in 1994.

This card is very weird, and even disregarding the color pie violation it is way too efficient and powerful for a common (you can play it as a 2 mana Lightning Bolt that can split the damage over 2 targets). I'd like it better if it said "Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Thorn Light deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature." That way it actually feels like two different color's effects are stapled together on one card focused on combat, rather than uninteractive removal.

Jacois wrote:
Golgari Familiar BG
Creature - Zombie Frog

Deathtouch
Spells you cast cost B or G less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of coloured mana you pay. (For example, if you cast an instant with mana cost 1BG, it costs either 1G or 1B to play)
More than any other battleground, the sewers gives the advantage to those who know it best.
1/1

This is a very powerful card with a very powerful effect for only 2 mana. I like the design and it fits right into the set; I especially like the updated take on a Familiar that reduces a color cost instead of a generic cost. However, I really don't see this being printed at common even in Ravnica. Having Deathtouch means this card will almost always give you free mana and trade for a creature, an effect that is printed at rare in Shadows Over Innistrad. Additionally, I don't see what this card adds to what Golgari is trying to do. They already have Stinkweek Imp as an early blocker and Signets and Karoos at common for ramp and fixing. I wish you had applied your design skills to making a card that fixed a weakness in Golgari, or at least didn't repeat an existing effect.

ShamedShadow wrote:
Cleanse the Blood 1W

Instant [Common]

Remove two counters of a type of your choice from target player or permanent.

Draw a card.

This is the kind of card I was looking for; it does something unique that makes sense in the block, but was missing from it (because Maro didn't want you to be able to remove poison counters at all, but that seems silly in retrospect). I think this card could possibly do away with the clause that targets players if Maro is still strict in that belief, and you might want to revise it to say "Remove up to two counters..." so it can always be cast. Overall, great design, perfect fit in its environment, and it's so flexible that it inspires players to build around it a little. You can remove poison counters from yourself, buff creatures with -1/-1 counters, tick down yours or your opponent's noncreature artifacts, etc.

McDonalds wrote:
Chicken Licken - 3R - Creature - Chicken - Common

Whenever Chicken Licken deals combat damage to an opponent, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Use Chicken McNuggets as counters.

3/2

I hope you brought sleeves!

I must have missed this set when it came out. Was it a promotional expansion that came in Happy Meals or something? Either way, this card could only be printed in an Un set of course. That being said, Shoe Tree is one of my favorite cards ever, and this design is reminiscent of that while limiting growth to how many nuggets you have access to and can stack. It is important to have upper limits on growing cards like this for limited.

kamphgruppe wrote:
Beast Caller G1 (Common)

Creature - Human Druid

Tap Sacrifice Beast Caller: Search your library for a Beast card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

2/2

Eddstone was said to be impenetrable. Grog spilled his blood in the middle of the town square. They will soon find out.

I don't think this card would work at common. Tutor effects are usually uncommon or rare, and this one is particularly strong. Early it's an efficient beater, and later it transforms into an expensive Beast. I have absolutely no clue what the flavor text means, perhaps someone can enlighten me? It looks like you wrote three completely unrelated sentences from different stories.

AlexPistols wrote:
Split-Eye Witch
Shards of Alara - common
Creature - human shaman
BB
1/1
Sacrifice a creature: put a +1/+1 counter on Split-Eye Witch

Another simple, elegant common. A similar card already exists in that block (Scarland Thrinax) but I like that the Witch can be played in a Grixis deck where you can take advantage of sacrificing your unearth creatures. I think the card would be better served to have a higher casting cost with a smaller commitment to Black as well, because everyone is playing 3 color decks and this will rarely make the cut at BB.

Results:

The winner is ShamedShadow with an awesome way to interact with counters, and the runner up is Thelemys with a creative but underpowered synergy card.

Last edited by Grok on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
radioactivez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only submitted a card because I felt I should since I replyed. I had no favorite set 100% because I like to draft and only like sets that are good for limited.. some sets like ROI/ISD were horrible for limited as they were just a pain to draft. this can happen for many reasons. BFZ/KTK were amazing to draft as archetypes were all over the place and drafting was rewarding. sets like GTC/FRF/DTK were simply undraftable as they did Nothing for limited or worse. sometimes I make exceptions for certain sets because of theme and what not. in the case of ISD/ and now SOI also the DFCS just are too much. also ISD was uninteractive in the effect that you could do nothing to stop yourself from losing once you got even a smidge behind. I like Balanced draft formats with much interaction.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2