Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 350 - Judged


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Author Message
TheRealPlaty



Joined: 04 Jan 2016
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Creation of Time 2WUBRG

Sorcery

Mythic Rare

When you cast ~ you may sacrifice a permanent of every color. If you do summon Time Itself. If you don't sacrifice a permanent of any color and search your library for another permanent that shares a color with that permanent. Put it onto the battlefield but it gains echo where echo is its mana cost.


Time Itself (all 5 colors)

Creature

Token

When Time Itself deals combat damage to a player take an extra turn after this one.

(Skulk)
(Double Strike)
(Haste)
"Alligned" - If you have taken exactly 10 turns this game when ~ deals combat damage to a player. Target opponent loses the game.

1/1



P.S. you said nothing about balanced so I thought why not Razz
Back to top
McDonalds



Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food Cart Peddler
2W
Creature/McDonald's Employee/Uncommon

Whenever you or a teammate buys you a menu item from McDonald's for the first time each turn, put a 1/1 McDonald's Customer creature token onto the battlefield for each individual McDonald's menu item you own.

2/2

The hardest part is not eating the food between each round.
Back to top
kamphgruppe



Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gathering Might BG (common)

Instant

Target creature gets +2/+2 and Deathtouch until the end of turn


symbiosis (If you cast this spell from your hand exile it as is resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep you may cast this card from exile without paying it's mana cost. You may choose to allow a teammate to cast this from exile during their upkeep instead without paying it's mana cost, if they do target creature gets +4/+4 and Deathtouch until the end of turn.)

Death is a part of nature Grog had explained, so Xan reluctantly teamed up with him. Once Xan witnessed the power of the horrors emerging from the breading grounds he knew this relationship would last a long time.
Back to top
Thelemys



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 910

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will make a lot of work to judge this
Back to top
Grok



Joined: 08 Feb 2015
Posts: 138

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:
Father's Farewell 1WB

Sorcery [Rare]

As an additional cost to cast Father's Farewell, sacrifice a planeswalker you control.

Search your library for a creature that shares a color with the sacrificed planeswalker and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

"I will return, one day. Keep watch until then, my child." -- Sorin, to Avacyn


This is a really cool, flavorful card, and an obvious prequel to Anguished Unmaking. I also like how it makes sense as a color-shifted Natural Order that is a lot harder to use because you need a Planeswalker, which fits the criteria of teamwork. The card tells a story without being too narrow (I can imagine an inferior version that only searches for Avacyn) and it makes me feel bad knowing what is in store for these two characters the next time they meet.

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
Mishra's Falling
2 B/P U/P
Sorcery
Mythic Rare

Destroy target legendary creature. If this card would go to the graveyard in this way, return it to the battlefield under your control. This creature is a black artifact in addition to its other types.

When I saw my brother during the war, he was not human anymore. I had to destroy him, even if it meant causing an Ice Age.
-Urza


I'm not familiar with what I assume is a reference to the Brother's War in the Magic storyline, but your card gives me a decent idea of what happened. The ability is about as narrow as ShamedShadow's card, requiring a legendary creature rather than a Planeswalker to be relevant. The Phyrexian mana cost seems out of place at first, but I'm guessing the Phyrexians had something to do with the transformation of Urza's brother. The only issue with the card is that it doesn't directly evoke teamwork; however, I'll give it a pass because it kind of shows the end of teamwork, stealing someone's brother to the other side of a war.

AlexPistols wrote:
I was your creator, and I will kill you
B
Instant
Rare
If you control planeswallker with type Sorin, exile all legendary creatures with "Avacyn" in its name.


Well, names don't get any more direct than this. Rather than how ShamedShadow tried to capture a different moment in the story told by Anguished Unmaking, it seems like you are just creating a more narrow, alternate version of the same moment. I feel like cards can get way too specific and become slaves to their own flavor, which is what happened here. I don't even mind that the card would never see play; it's a poor mechanical design driven entirely by a shoehorned story idea that is accomplished better on an existing card. Also you are treading a thin line, because this card is about the end of teamwork rather than working together.

kenny18O wrote:
burned earth 3R

sorcery

each players sacrifice a land.
if you and a teammate played a land that turn, each opponent sacrifice a land instead


I like the idea behind this card, basically taking Surge and applying it to effects beyond mana cost. However, the flavor doesn't really do anything for me. I know I said you could choose either mechanics or flavor, but this doesn't create an emotional response which was also a requirement. I think with a reworked name and some flavor text this card would be greatly improved. Try to create a memorable image in the reader's mind of you and a teammate on a precipice as the earth crumbles beneath your feet, leaving only a few square inches of solid ground while your opponents fall into a chasm. At least, that is what I would do.

radioactivez wrote:
Decree of War or Peace

4WW Enchantment Rare
Flash

When ~ enters the battlefield starting with you each player Votes for War or Peace. If Peace wins out all creatures get +0/+7. If war wins out Deal 7 damage to all creatures in play. If there is tie exile all creatures instead.

When forced to choose between war and peace and stuck at indecision, Urza shook his head in disbelief and decided to just End all fighting.


This card creates an interesting tension. You can cast it after blocks and see if everyone agrees to end the fighting before damage is dealt and everyone dies. Flavor-wise, I'm assuming it's an enchantment rather than an instant because a decree is a solid piece of paper. I think the main issue with the card is that there is no mechanical difference between dealing 7 damage to things and exiling all creatures. Both will almost universally result in everything dying anyway. A potential fix is to only deal damage to attacking or blocking creatures; that way the people who aren't involved in the fighting aren't affected by the decree. Still, it's a cool card that creates an opportunity for teamwork in a multiplayer game.

Jacois wrote:
Deadly Duo 2BB
Creature - Zombie Wizard *Uncommon*

When ~ enters the battlefield, return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.
When ~ or the returned creature leave the battlefield, exile the other.

"Finding your soulmate in life is much more satisfying."


2/2


Immediately I love this card for the name, which is kind of a pun because one of the members of the duo is recently deceased, and because the flavor hues closer to love and friendship than servitude like most zombie-related cards. So far this card best captures the literal meaning of teamwork, as one cannot exist without the other (and it's risky for either to enter combat), and I'm imagining one member of the duo dragging the other with them into the grave. Nice job.

Thelemys wrote:
Overflow GG
Instant R
Reveal five or more creatures from your hand: target opponent chose one of them.
You may put the chosen creature onto the battlefield without paying it's manacost.
"Unity is strength"


This is an interesting "punisher" card, giving your opponent a choice in exchange for a reduced mana cost. Of course, the trick is to get a hand full of absurdly powerful, expensive creatures so it doesn't matter what they pick. I think this card would have still been balanced if you only needed to reveal 4 creatures, if only for the humorous and unlikely scenario that you get 4 of a kind so they actually don't have a choice. I guess the flavor here is that once you have enough creatures working together, things get too crowded in your hand so they literally push one of them out? I don't know, the flavor text seems to contradict the name of the card. This is a unique design, but I'm not entirely on board with the flavor.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Freg, Obsessed Auntie BR

Legendary Creature - Goblin - Rare

Whenever a creature in your graveyard is put into your hand, Freg, Obsessed Auntie deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

B, Discard a card from your hand: Target player discards a card.

3/2

"Obsessed? Yes, but with whom, can you guess?"


I like what you've got going on here, from the very flavorful Lorwyn name to the rhyme in the flavor text (although I'm not sure who it is referring to). However, the abilities of the card are kind of all over the place and their connection to teamwork is very tenuous. I suppose the discard ability helps put creatures into your graveyard for you to return to your hand, but it doesn't require you to discard creatures. I think this is an example where slightly more narrow abilities would have worked better. For example, if she only triggered from returning Goblin cards to your hand, tribal is suddenly relevant and feels a lot more like teaming up with other Goblins. And if the discard ability only allowed you to discard Goblins or creatures, it would encourage you to use cards that make sense flavorfully together. I think you're close, just a few tweaks away from a cool card that would have fit directly into Lorwyn block.

GreenBear wrote:
The champions 2BW (mythic rare)

Enchantment

If you control 11 Legendary Creatures you win the game.

Die Meister, Die Besten, Les grandes équipes, the champions.


This card is simple, but it gets across it's flavor quite well. A super team of legendary creatures win the game merely by showing up to work together. I wish there was more here, like an ability that would almost always lead to you winning the game but showed what these creatures were doing together (like deal 2X damage to a player equal to the number of legendary creatures you control). It also doesn't make sense in black; green and white are generally the colors of massive amounts of creatures working together. Black is usually about winning alone.

Jinete_dV wrote:
Spartan of Legend (B)
Zombie Warrior

When Spartan of Legend enters the battlefield lose 2 life.

Whenever a player casts a creature with 2 power or 1 toughness put a +1/+1 counter on each Warrior you control.

Tap three untapped Zombies you control: Return this card from the graveyard to the battlefield.

True spartans never leave the battlefield.

2/1


I sort of get that you need three zombies to tug this Spartan back from the underworld and onto the battlefield, but I really don't understand how its other abilities relate to each other or to the flavor of teaming up. I guess you lose life when it comes into play to balance out the recursion and punish you? But still, tapping 3 creatures is a pretty big hoop to jump through, and losing life seems unnecessary. I'm also not sure what 2/1 creatures have to do with warriors. Obviously more copies combo with itself, but then it also gets counters if your opponent plays creatures with these stats? The card just doesn't come together for me in an elegant way, and I think with fewer abilities, or abilities that fed into each other, it would have been a stronger submission.

johnpyp wrote:
All-for-one And One-for-all......GG
Sorcery..... M

All creatures you control fight target creature your opponent controls. You pick the order in which they fight.

At the end of the turn, if no creatures you control died this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

At the end of the turn, if a creature you control died this turn, sacrifice each creature you control.

If you fight, we fight with you, if you fall, we fall as well. You are never alone, as none of us are.
-The Hunters, to Garruk.


Okay, I think I understand what you're going for here. You're putting each creature in the same boat; either everyone lives or everyone dies. That's definitely a cool concept, and fighting is probably the best way to depict it on a card. However, the way you designed the card essentially turns it into a riskier Prey Upon for more mana. I assume when you say that you get to pick the order of fighting, you are also changing the way fighting works by having each creature fight one at a time. That means you would always just choose your biggest creature to fight first, killing the opponent's creature, and preventing the rest of your team from fighting. I think a much cooler version of this card that mechanically works the way you want would be that each creature you control fights each creature your opponents control. That way you don't get to easily decide the outcome, because each creature has to be at least as big as each of your opponent's creatures, or everyone dies at the end of the turn. The payoff is also much better, turning into a one sided board wipe (but in green it depends on your creatures, so that's fine).

Biggestpcats wrote:
The Creation of Time 2WUBRG

Sorcery

Mythic Rare

When you cast ~ you may sacrifice a permanent of every color. If you do summon Time Itself. If you don't sacrifice a permanent of any color and search your library for another permanent that shares a color with that permanent. Put it onto the battlefield but it gains echo where echo is its mana cost.


Time Itself (all 5 colors)

Creature

Token

When Time Itself deals combat damage to a player take an extra turn after this one.

(Skulk)
(Double Strike)
(Haste)
"Alligned" - If you have taken exactly 10 turns this game when ~ deals combat damage to a player. Target opponent loses the game.

1/1


It worries me that you are implying this card isn't balanced; if you're saying that it is too weak to see play in any format, you would be right. But if you think it is powerful, consider the set up cost; you not only have to pay one mana of each color, but you have to have already cast a permanent of every color, sacrifice them, and be able to attack assuming your opponent has nothing with power 1 or less. The abilities make no sense together, "Aligned" is strange and has no flavor connotations to me, but I guess it fits within the teamwork frame because you need so many things to set it up. Still, this card is a mess.

McDonalds wrote:
Food Cart Peddler
2W
Creature/McDonald's Employee/Uncommon

Whenever you or a teammate buys you a menu item from McDonald's for the first time each turn, put a 1/1 McDonald's Customer creature token onto the battlefield for each individual McDonald's menu item you own.

2/2

The hardest part is not eating the food between each round.


I have to agree with the flavor text of this card; it will be unplayable simply because each turn you will have to not eat the food sitting in front of you. In long tournaments where you don't have time to get a meal between rounds, I can't even imagine this making a single token. Once again McDonald's provides us with unplayable trash, which is no surprise considering their food is inedible trash. Seriously though, it is shameful that Magic League accepts these endorsements from McDonald's. It's a deal with the devil if you ask me. Maybe that's the teamwork aspect of the card they were going for?

kamphgruppe wrote:
Gathering Might BG (common)

Instant

Target creature gets +2/+2 and Deathtouch until the end of turn


symbiosis (If you cast this spell from your hand exile it as is resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep you may cast this card from exile without paying it's mana cost. You may choose to allow a teammate to cast this from exile during their upkeep instead without paying it's mana cost, if they do target creature gets +4/+4 and Deathtouch until the end of turn.)

Death is a part of nature Grog had explained, so Xan reluctantly teamed up with him. Once Xan witnessed the power of the horrors emerging from the breading grounds he knew this relationship would last a long time.


So it's a team-driven version of Rebound? I suppose that is interesting, but the fact that you don't even need a teammate to recast it, and that it doesn't get much more powerful, makes it feel like that part was tacked on. By contrast, Surge gets absurdly powerful in a 2 headed giant game because both players get the immediate benefit of casting everything for half price every turn. This doesn't have much of a payoff, although it is cool that you can basically "give" the spell to your friend. The other issue is that you could have just targeted their creature anyway, and ask what they want pumped, so giving them control doesn't add much. If it only targeted a creature you control that part of the ability would make more sense. I think this idea has potential, but you needed to showcase it on a more interesting card.




There were a lot of good submissions, although not everyone fulfilled the basic requirements of making their card reflect teamwork. Still, I think everyone tried in spirit. The winner of the contest is ShamedShadow with his heart-wrenching card Father's Farewell. The runner-up is Jacois for creating a funny, team-up version of a reanimation spell.

Maybe I should have restated it in the original post, but the best way to win my favor during these contests is to create cards that get across their flavor in the fewest number of words and abilities as possible. Elegance and simplicity show a true mastery of card design. Just about anyone can pack dozens of effects onto a single card (looking at you, The Creation of Time). Good luck next week.
Back to top
Thelemys



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 910

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all

yeah I could have made it 4, still it wasn't my objective to break it with 4 same cards

I don't like blue decks, this card was a way to pressure control decks as it is a low mana cost and you can play it at instant speed during opponent end phase

go next
Back to top
radioactivez



Joined: 14 Aug 2015
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um mine Was an enchantment....with flash.
Back to top
Lord_Cuddles



Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent link for the Brother's War: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Urza#The_Brothers.27_War

Summing up, Urza and his brother Mishra started a war of their machines for decades on end. When they finally met each other face-to-face after all this time, Urza realized that his brother had been corrupted by Phyrexian influence. Responding to this, he activated an artifact that caused an Ice Age (much like the set).
Back to top
Grok



Joined: 08 Feb 2015
Posts: 138

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
um mine Was an enchantment....with flash.


Right, I know, I was trying to figure out why you made it an enchantment with flash rather than an instant, because those card types end up doing the exact same thing. The only difference is that as an enchantment it only has an enters the battlefield trigger, meaning that once it's in play it stays there doing nothing. Normally in those situations you would just make the card an instant so it doesn't stick around, clogging up the board.
Back to top
radioactivez



Joined: 14 Aug 2015
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grok wrote:
radioactivez wrote:
um mine Was an enchantment....with flash.


Right, I know, I was trying to figure out why you made it an enchantment with flash rather than an instant, because those card types end up doing the exact same thing. The only difference is that as an enchantment it only has an enters the battlefield trigger, meaning that once it's in play it stays there doing nothing. Normally in those situations you would just make the card an instant so it doesn't stick around, clogging up the board.


I see but that was mainly because of it being a "a decree" Also I had to rewrite it several times and may just have left it as an enchantment.
Back to top
Grok



Joined: 08 Feb 2015
Posts: 138

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
Grok wrote:
radioactivez wrote:
um mine Was an enchantment....with flash.


Right, I know, I was trying to figure out why you made it an enchantment with flash rather than an instant, because those card types end up doing the exact same thing. The only difference is that as an enchantment it only has an enters the battlefield trigger, meaning that once it's in play it stays there doing nothing. Normally in those situations you would just make the card an instant so it doesn't stick around, clogging up the board.


I see but that was mainly because of it being a "a decree" Also I had to rewrite it several times and may just have left it as an enchantment.


I understand, and that's exactly what I said during judging:

"Flavor-wise, I'm assuming it's an enchantment rather than an instant because a decree is a solid piece of paper."

The unique flavor of being an enchantment that stuck around was actually a point in your favor, not a criticism.
Back to top
kamphgruppe



Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



So it's a team-driven version of Rebound? I suppose that is interesting, but the fact that you don't even need a teammate to recast it, and that it doesn't get much more powerful, makes it feel like that part was tacked on. By contrast, Surge gets absurdly powerful in a 2 headed giant game because both players get the immediate benefit of casting everything for half price every turn. This doesn't have much of a payoff, although it is cool that you can basically "give" the spell to your friend. The other issue is that you could have just targeted their creature anyway, and ask what they want pumped, so giving them control doesn't add much. If it only targeted a creature you control that part of the ability would make more sense. I think this idea has potential, but you needed to showcase it on a more interesting card.


Yes a team version of rebound. The thought was that you could still play this if you don't have a teammate as a regular rebound card. If you are playing a team game and you do choose to let your teammate get the effect, it doubles. I certainly should have made it so you can only target your own creatures. Thanks for your comments.
Back to top
GreenBear



Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 901

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you got the reference or not you maybe American, the card was referring to the champions league the most prestigious club football competition in the world. I posted it Friday night right before Juventus played Bayern Munich in Munich. The quotation people were correcting me on was the champions league theme tune. The colours were black and white as I am a Juventus fan, so I guess its apt the card did not win.
Back to top
Grok



Joined: 08 Feb 2015
Posts: 138

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
I'm not sure if you got the reference or not you maybe American, the card was referring to the champions league the most prestigious club football competition in the world. I posted it Friday night right before Juventus played Bayern Munich in Munich. The quotation people were correcting me on was the champions league theme tune. The colours were black and white as I am a Juventus fan, so I guess its apt the card did not win.


Hah, yes, I am American and I don't pay much attention to sports. Sorry for missing the reference.
Back to top
AxiomBlurr



Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 411

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROK! My card Freg, Obsessed Auntie

She is obsessed with Squee!!! Freg and Squee = constant discard and constant directed damage!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy