Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 349 Judged!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: CAC 349 Judged! Reply with quote

I'll be grading/judging these cards using my patented F-A grading system. Lots of good entries, and thanks for playing everybody! You're all winners in my book! Wink

skeven wrote:
Voyage trough the underworld 2B
instant uncommon
Exile target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control with 2 -1/-1 counter on it.

the travels can be harsh in this place, i hope i get back to the living
lost soul

"edit maybe its better costed at 1b"

Very clever and versatile card. I can envision using this on one of my own creatures to save them as well as eliminating a blocker, or picking off smaller creatures. Instant creature exiling with a drawback is more of a white ability, but it flavourfully works for black here with the name and flavour text. Great job! A

radioactivez wrote:
Dark Cartographer 2B

elf

When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a swamp and put it onto the battlefield tapped.

Tired of harvesting the forest, she decided to put her talents to different use

1/1

This is simply a green card made black. Lazy submission and doesn't inspire or excite me. Thanks for playing though. C

Stucco wrote:
Undermine the Law........R
Sorcery............................U

Target player reveals his or her hand. You may choose a blue or white card from it. That player exiled that card.

The opportunity to harass Azorius mage's is one no self-respecting Rakdos member can ignore.

I'll admit it decently fits the criteria for this create a card, but due to it's near inplayability I don't like it. As only a sideboard card I think you should have added a damage factor (deals 2 damage to the player no matter what) and maybe made it an instant, making it not seem like a terrible card. C+

Jinete_dV wrote:
1G Catapult
Instant

As an additional cost to cast Catapult tap a creature you control with 2 or more power.

Sacrifice a creature you control. Catapult deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power plus 2 to target creature or player.

"Did ye just shoot me wife at the enemy?!" - General Hancock

A fling that additionally has you tapping a creature +2 damage. This, "throwing a creature", thing has been done to death and there is nothing new or exciting here. This is just fling in green. D

Duodax wrote:
Darkness Spike 1B

Instant

COMMON

Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn, or target player loses 3 life.

Again, this is just incinerate in black. There's nothing that makes it feel black, it just feels like a black incinerate. I don't think much effort was put into this, and I really don't like it. D

Grok wrote:
Goblin Librarian -- 4RR

Creature - Goblin - Rare

When Goblin Librarian enters the battlefield, you may look at your library and put it back in any order.

At the beginning of your end step, shuffle your library.

2/2

Best librarian I've ever seen. At least until he tripped and knocked over the shelves like dominoes.

Wonderfully done! Fits the CaC criteria, very flavourful, very funny, great name, great quote, and feels red though it's not a red ability. A+

kamphgruppe wrote:
The Illusion Is Real - U2 (Rare)

Sorcery

Destroy target land
If target land's controller has 3 lands or less in play return target land to it's owners hand instead.

Love the name, and the card is really neat. I don't think this should be a rare, as Boomerang is an common and Tectonic Edge is an uncommon, but I really like what you did here. Some flavour text would have been nice. I think you could have been more aggressive with the casting cost as well, maybe even making it UU and/or an instant. It's probably not playable as a sorcery, but it's clever. Good job. A

ShamedShadow wrote:
Galewing Dragon 4RR

Creature - Dragon [Mythic Rare]

Flying, haste

When Galewing Dragon enters the battlefield, return all other creatures to their owners' hands.

4/4

Playable, but doesn't illicit any kind of emotional response. Dragon that makes it windy and blows creatures away, I get it, but overall a stale card. B

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
Nature's Bonds
1G
Enchantment
Uncommon

Target Creature cannot attack or block, and it's activated abilities cannot be activated.

At the beginning of enchanted creature's upkeep, put a 0/1 Green Insect token onto the battlefield.

When being restrained by the woods, it's inhabitants begin to watch.

I think the tokens should have been plant tokens, imo. There's a very similar card that turns the creature into a 0/4 Treefolk from Lorwyn. This card seems a little subpar and wordy and the flavour text has me scratching my head. B-

OctoOoze wrote:
Evict - 2W
Instant U
Exile target creature that entered the battlefield this turn. That creatures controller reveals their hand. Choose and exile any number of cards with the same name as the exiled card from that hand.

This card feels very White, and as such I don't feel it fits the criteria for this CaC. F

kenny18O wrote:
new card

natural selection 2G

sorcery common

draw 3 cards, then discard 2 cards unless you discard a creature card

With over 15K cards in circulation, it would be naive for me to think everyone should know every card, but this has the exact same name as a very iconic green card that is still relevant in todays Legacy format. I do very much like the card though, reminiscent of Compulsive Research (one of my fave card drawing cards) with a green flavour to it. New name and some flavour text may have helped, but since this is just a near direct copy of another card I'm not going to grade as well as you might have hoped. B-

johnpyp wrote:
Deal With the Drunk 4BB
Sorcery - Mythic

Choose 2 target creatures at random, they fight.

At the end of the turn, creatures that have dealt lethal damage to creatures are exiled with 2 time counters on it and gains suspend. This effect is checked first.

At the end of the turn, each player sacrifices all creatures not dealt damage this turn.

Very expensive, wordy card that seems awkward to cast. The, "Dealing with drunks", part is slightly amusing and flavourful, but the flavour of black dealing with drunks doesn't make sense. This seems like a white ability, arresting and detaining people after a drunken brawl. Sacrificing all other creatures makes zero sense to me flavourwise either. Not sure what you were going for. This should have been a low casting cost white card that only dealt with the 2 creatures involved. Poor wording, bad card, low grade. D-

And the winner is Grok with Goblin Librarian! Great job, very fun card. Thanks for participating everybody.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forgot me Sad
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt participate in this CaC. When i saw grok's card, i thought "well, gg wp"
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, your card was in quotes for some reason and I thought you were commenting on someone else's card. Why did you do that?

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Fire in the Coffin XR
Instant R
Exile target creature with a converted mana cost of X or less from a graveyard.
Fire in the Coffin deals damage to target creature or player equal to the exiled creature's power.
"Fire in the Coffin? No. Fire in the hole!"
Hey Ball Lightning, Vexing Devil or Tarmogoyf: fire in the hole! It's a new type of Fling.

I suppose this is a black ability made red. I'm having trouble gauging the power level. I can't tell if it's overpowered or not, but it doesn't excite me. Sorry for missing it, but it's no winner. B+
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At most it's a nice combo with Death's Shadow (13/13 for B) or Phyrexian Dreadnought.
T1 Play Death's Shadow
T2 Play fire in the coffin
T3 You got 3 mana to make 7 damages

I don't think it's overpowered.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys wrote:
At most it's a nice combo with Death's Shadow (13/13 for B) or Phyrexian Dreadnought.
T1 Play Death's Shadow
T2 Play fire in the coffin
T3 You got 3 mana to make 7 damages

I don't think it's overpowered.

huh?
skeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: CAC 349 Judged! Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:

skeven wrote:
instant uncommon
Exile target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control with 2 -1/-1 counter on it.

lost soul

Very clever and versatile card. I can envision using this on one of my own creatures to save them as well as eliminating a blocker, or picking off smaller creatures. Instant creature exiling with a drawback is more of a white ability, but it flavourfully works for black here with the name and flavour text. Great job! A

would it get a higher rating if it was 1B? and i use otherworldy journey as my inspiration of this card, a colorshifted version, like some cards in the timespiral block
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Turn 3 kill at most like a lot of combo, isn't it?
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: CAC 349 Judged! Reply with quote

skeven wrote:
Jacois wrote:

skeven wrote:
instant uncommon

lost soul

would it get a higher rating if it was 1B? and i use otherworldy journey as my inspiration of this card, a colorshifted version, like some cards in the timespiral block

1B with 1 -1/-1 counter may have been an A+, yeah. It's not like a have a strict formula. A's pretty good. :S
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamphgruppe wrote:

Sorcery

Destroy target land
If target land's controller has 3 lands or less in play return target land to it's owners hand instead.

Love the name, and the card is really neat. I don't think this should be a rare, as Boomerang is an common and Tectonic Edge is an uncommon, but I really like what you did here. Some flavour text would have been nice. I think you could have been more aggressive with the casting cost as well, maybe even making it UU and/or an instant. It's probably not playable as a sorcery, but it's clever. Good job. A

I was planning on adding flavor text but I made this submission at work and was never able to get back to it. I am working 5 12 hour shifts in a row.

This does kill a land if they have more than 3 in play so I think a 3cc is appropriate. The standard for land kill is 4cc at sorcery speed these days, 3 mana if non-basic only. That is what I based the CC on. I was thinking about having the card go on top of the library instead of to back to the hand as well, that may have been better. I like the idea of it as an instant as well. Thank you for your comments.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My submission was Lazy for a reason. You asked us to do something that should not be done. To break the color pie rules. There is a reason why each color has certain strengths and weaknesses and I approve of them. I am very strong in obeying and following the rules. Something that WOTC rarely does. Phyrexian mana, hybrid mana, the new Wastes mana even these are only small examples of when WOTC has offered us the "forbidden fruit" and each time it has hurt this game. Do not think me salty because I am not. Congrats to Grok for winning with a unplayable 6 drop. I just think WOTC should focus on colors more than trying to tease its players.
VintageFish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CAC 349 Judged! Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
Undermine the Law........R
Sorcery............................U

Target player reveals his or her hand. You may choose a blue or white card from it. That player exiled that card.

The opportunity to harass Azorius mage's is one no self-respecting Rakdos member can ignore.

I'll admit it decently fits the criteria for this create a card, but due to it's near inplayability I don't like it. As only a sideboard card I think you should have added a damage factor (deals 2 damage to the player no matter what) and maybe made it an instant, making it not seem like a terrible card. C+

I think this card is totally fine. I think it would make red decks in Vintage a little more viable (as there are none now).
VintageFish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CAC 349 Judged! Reply with quote

kamphgruppe wrote:

Sorcery

Destroy target land

I don't get it. You bash cards for other-colored versions of a card like a "black incinerate" yet you gush over this blue stone rain? Blue cards don't destroy lands.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging is never totaly fair
some cards, you love them and some other, you don't
OctoOoze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to criticize your judging but I don't see how making someone reveal their hand feels white, I thought that was in blue and black.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2