Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 343 [Judged]

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Grok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: CaC 343 [Judged] Reply with quote

Your challenge for this week is to design a mechanic that is useful in the early game and in the late game, and showcase it on a card. The mechanic should smooth out draws, increase consistency, and reduce manascrew and flood. Think of this mechanic as primarily a tool for limited, where players want to draft flexible cards that are useful at any point in the game.

Some examples of smoothing mechanics include Cycling, Evoke, and Bestow. As a limited player, I find that I enjoy draft formats where a mechanic like this is present, because it prevents games from being decided by who drew fewer lands.

I'll judge in one week. Good luck!

Last edited by Grok on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
radioactivez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1R
Goblin Aid

Creature type: Goblin

Assist:2RRR (may only be paid on opponents turn during combat, before damage.)

If the assist cost is paid:Goblin Aid enters the battlefield blocking target creature.
When Goblin Aid enters the battlefield it and target creature each get first strike and +3/0.

2/3
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvan Apprentice 1G

Creature - Elf Druid

COMMON

Manaflash: Add G to your mana pool. (Reveal Sylvan Apprentice in your hand: Add G to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if no lands entered the battlefield under your control this turn, only any time you could cast a sorcery and only if you did not used a Manaflash ability this turn. You can't play lands until end of turn.)

2/2
sonan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavern of colors RARE

Cavern of colors enters the battlefield tapped.

(T): Add <> to your mana pool.
1, (T): Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Outclass 2. (Pay 2, sacrifice Cavern of colors: you may search your library for a non basic land, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I posted a card already.. but that card was kinda hard to figure out so i have a Better one now.

Karmic Avenger 1RW

Creature Type Human ally

Enrage X: When Karmic avenger enters the battlefield it gets a +1/+1 for every creature that died this turn.

Flying

2/2

You who hath killed my brothers. You will know true pain.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferocious Hunt WG

Instant [Rare]

Target creature an opponent controls gains Bounty until end of turn. Target creature you control gets +1/+1, then fights another target creature with Bounty.

------

Bounty: when a creature with Bounty dies, the controller of the source that caused it to die draws a card.

Last edited by ShamedShadow on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychic Seal - 1U
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Transmitt 3 (Reveal the top three cards of each library. You may put all onto the bottom of their owner's library at random.)
Draw a card.
johnpyp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychic Seal 1U

Sacrifice Psychic Seal: Target player reveals his hand.

Truth of the Martyr
(When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, sacrifice X permanents that share a color with it or can generate a color that is used to cast it[not sure of this wording]. Draw X cards.)
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Goblin Rambler 1R
Creature - Goblin Unco

Mountain Traveller (When this creature enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may discard a card. If you do that, search your library for a Mountain card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library)

Sacrifice a Mountain: Goblin Rambler gains haste and +1/+0 until end of turn.

"Travel broadens the mind"
1/1
You may stay one land short and discard all lands of your deck, turn after turn. Travellers will have discard/graveyard/sacrifice abilities to use Land Travelling cards.

Last edited by Thelemys on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
McDonalds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jungle Gorger -- 1G

Creature [U]

Put a +1/+1 counter on Jungle Gorger each time you activate a McDiscount.

McDiscount - You may present this card to any McDonald's cashier for an instant discount of X%, where X is the number of lands you control in the current game. You may only apply one McDiscount to each order, once per game.

2/1

Early on, it's a passable creature. Later, it's a huge discount. I'm Lovin' It!
OctoOoze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cove of Treasures-Rare-Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool
Tap, Discard a land card: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
1, Tap: Flourish 2. (Sacrifice a land at random. Search your library for 2 basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your library. Only activate this ability if you have not played a land this turn)
IvanDano

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2GG

Ardent of Vigor

Creature - Elemental

Rare

Vitality (Discard this card from your hand to search your library for a land card that contains a mana symbol in this card's casting cost, reveal it to your opponents and add it to your hand. Shuffle your library.)

Whenever you activate or cast a spell with Vitality, Ardent of Vigor gains +1/+1 until end of turn.

4/4
Grok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to judge!

Duodax
Quote:
Sylvan Apprentice 1G

Creature - Elf Druid

COMMON

Manaflash: Add G to your mana pool. (Reveal Sylvan Apprentice in your hand: Add G to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if no lands entered the battlefield under your control this turn, only any time you could cast a sorcery and only if you did not used a Manaflash ability this turn. You can't play lands until end of turn.)

2/2

I like what you are going for here. It's a bear you can play whenever, but if you happen to not have a land drop early or late, it will help pay for itself or something bigger. However, I don't think this works as a "fixed" Elvish Spirit Guide. Free mana is very easy to abuse, and I can't imagine this is printable. Still, it's probably fine for limited, which is what matters here.

Sonan
Quote:
Cavern of colors RARE

Cavern of colors enters the battlefield tapped.

(T): Add <> to your mana pool.
1, (T): Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Outclass 2. (Pay 2, sacrifice Cavern of colors: you may search your library for a non basic land, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)

Interesting mechanic. I'm having a hard time visualizing how a limited environment would be built around non-basic land tutoring, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. At the very least it helps you swap out an Unknown Shores for a spell-land, assuming you drafted any.

Radioactivez
Quote:
Karmic Avenger 1RW

Creature Type Human ally

Enrage X: When Karmic avenger enters the battlefield it gets a +1/+1 for every creature that died this turn.

Flying

2/2

You who hath killed my brothers. You will know true pain.

I'm assuming you want me to judge this card as your entry? I like this mechanic a lot as a simple update of Morbid that scales. Kind of like Bloodthirst, it changes the way you have to think about attacking and blocking for the entire limited format. This is a simple and effective design that can be a decent body early, but forces tough decisions if you chump attack into a board stall.

ShamedShadow
Quote:
Ferocious Hunt WG

Instant [Rare]

Target creature an opponent controls gains Bounty until end of turn. Target creature you control gets +1/+1, then fights another target creature with Bounty.

------

Bounty: when a creature with Bounty dies, the controller of the source that caused it to die draws a card.

Pretty interesting. Although this card will almost always result in you killing a creature and drawing a card, I like the idea of Bounty as a mechanic, even though this particular use of it doesn't do anything creative. Putting a Bounty on your own creatures might incentivize sacrifice shenanigans, and assuming Bounty sometimes persists for more than a turn it can complicate combat. I'm not entirely seeing how this is one of those mechanics that smooths out games, though. Bounty doesn't do anything by itself except help draw cards, which is dependent on the creature dying, and setting a bunch of bounties early doesn't help you if you're mana screwed and can't collect on them.

Derflippi
Quote:
Psychic Seal - 1U
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Transmitt 3 (Reveal the top three cards of each library. You may put all onto the bottom of their owner's library at random.)
Draw a card.

So it's sort of like a super scry/fateseal, except you can't change the order of the cards if you leave them on top, meaning you can't even control your next draw? Obviously there are corner cases where one player reveals 3 lands and the other reveals no lands, but in general I don't see how this card actually smooths out games. Technically it's a cantrip though, so it's basically cycling.

Johnpyp
Quote:
Psychic Seal 1U

Sacrifice Psychic Seal: Target player reveals his hand.

Truth of the Martyr
(When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, sacrifice X permanents that share a color with it or can generate a color that is used to cast it[not sure of this wording]. Draw X cards.)

Stealing Derflippi's name to try to make a better card? Shots fired. I like the mechanic, which lets you cycle though a bunch of permanents you don't need anymore. The only problem with this card is that it doesn't affect the board if you play it on turn 2. Sure, you gain information, but it won't change your fate if you get mana screwed. This is basically a late game draw engine that you can put a down payment on early for very little benefit.

Thelemys
Quote:
Goblin Rambler 1R
Creature - Goblin Unco

Mountain Traveller (When this creature enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls more lands than you, you may discard a card. If you do that, search your library for a Mountain card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library)

Sacrifice a Mountain: Goblin Rambler gains haste and +1/+0 until end of turn.

"Travel broadens the mind"
1/1

Here we go, I love this design. Obviously a 1/1 for 2 is below the curve, but it lets you tutor for lands if you are behind, it uses those lands to pump itself, and using its ability triggers future Travellers. And later in the game you have a purpose for excess basic lands. Very nice, circular design. Plus, if you go second you will always be one land behind for Travellers so you don't even have to skip your land drop. My only worry is that land sacrificing abilities are dangerous because some players don't realize the cost of losing a land. I might change the ability to limit to one sac every turn and give +2/+0.

McDonalds
Quote:
Jungle Gorger -- 1G

Creature [U]

Put a +1/+1 counter on Jungle Gorger each time you activate a McDiscount.

McDiscount - You may present this card to any McDonald's cashier for an instant discount of X%, where X is the number of lands you control in the current game. You may only apply one McDiscount to each order, once per game.

2/1

Early on, it's a passable creature. Later, it's a huge discount. I'm Lovin' It!

I was about to call this mechanic broken, then I saw that you could only activate it once per game. Still, it would be easy to build a huge deck entirely made of lands and ramp spells so that you could get a 100% discount after playing half an hour of Magic. You wouldn't win the game, but you would win a meal.

OctoOoze
Quote:
Cove of Treasures-Rare-Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool
Tap, Discard a land card: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
1, Tap: Flourish 2. (Sacrifice a land at random. Search your library for 2 basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your library. Only activate this ability if you have not played a land this turn)

I have to say, I think this card is beyond broken. Remember Dreamscape Artist? That card was insane in limited, and it traded 2 cards for 2 cards. Cove of Treasures actually ramps you up, draws you a land, and only has a small chance of sacrificing itself. Plus, the drawback of only activating it if you haven't played a land doesn't work because you can just play one after. This isn't so much a comeback card as an instant win card. I'd first pick it every time.

IvanDano
Quote:
2GG

Ardent of Vigor

Creature - Elemental

Rare

Vitality (Discard this card from your hand to search your library for a land card that contains a mana symbol in this card's casting cost, reveal it to your opponents and add it to your hand. Shuffle your library.)

Whenever you activate or cast a spell with Vitality, Ardent of Vigor gains +1/+1 until end of turn.

4/4

Really great design here. I love cards that have 2 or more roles in a deck, although I think there probably needs to be some mana cost to searching up the land besides discarding or it might be too strong. It also encourages you to play more cards with vitality in your deck, and once you already have a lot of lands and don't need to discard them for more lands, it benefits you for it.

Results:
Overall, the strongest designs were Thelemys's Goblin Rambler and IvanDano's Ardent of Vigor. I felt that these two cards best completed the design challenge by being truly useful in the early game to catch up from a bad position, and still relevant in the late game with abilities that fed into themselves. However, there can only be one winner:

Thelemys wins with Goblin Rambler because I found the design to elegantly support itself at all points in the game, and support other cards with the same mechanic.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG all
Go next
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1