Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 340 (Judged)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Grok

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
how did a vinalla do nothing win??? makes zero sense

Actually, I think it's refreshing to see a card that isn't stuffed with unnecessary abilities and complexity win for once. Derflippi asked for a very specific flavor, and IvanDano's card delivered on that. He didn't say he was judging based on power, creativity, or uniqueness. Therefore I think he made the right choice.

However, I do want to chime in and say that I don't understand the choice of runnerups. As much as Makindi Refugee perfectly captured the design challenge, neither Grog nor Dejik make any sense. First of all, both of them have the Ally creature type, which means they work to trigger other Ally creatures. How can a deserter still benefit all of his previous allies that he has now abandoned?

Dejik is way too complicated, and it doesn't make any sense flavorfully. Other allies are willing to help untap him, but then he also eats his allies to get stronger? Why does the weaker untap ability cost mana, but the stronger sacrifice trigger doesn't? Why is a white and red creature getting abilities from blue and black's color pie? This card is a mess.

Grog is a little better, because exchanging control of him represents the desertion, I guess. It still doesn't address the flavor you asked for in the design challenge, namely an Ally that has left his duties and his courage. Grog is still courageous, he just doesn't listen to a master who won't send him into battle. As mentioned previously, the Ally creature type doesn't make sense either. Grog is clearly a berserker who works best alone.

I know I've said this in previous contests, but I really wish some of you guys would read Mark Rosewater's design 101 articles. They are really effective at getting across the basic concepts of building a Magic card. Once you get the fundamentals down, your designs will improve exponentially.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe but i feel it did not even try to follow the rules.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Vanilla" was spot on, 100% fulfilling the challenge.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of all of them i think it was the worst as it did not even read the challenge
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2