Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research project questions involing mtg

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Nasher99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Research project questions involing mtg Reply with quote

I am doing the AQA EPQ prodject as part of my A-Levels. I wondered if anyone on here had and ideas of what I could do that involved MTG.
Thanks in Advance.

p.s if this is not allowed just tell me and I will remove it
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to specify what AQA EPQ and A-levels is, as more than 50% of magic-league users come from non-American countries.
Nasher99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not American either but a brief summary of EPQ is that is stands for Extended project Qualification.The extended project is a single piece of work of your choosing that requires evidence of planning, preparation, research and autonomous working. It concludes with either a large written report or the production/ development of something. It is design to take in exsess of 75 hours so needs a lot of research behind it.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something related to statistics:
Reminds me of http://magic-league.com/article/622/knowledge_of_the_masses_innistrad_sealed_ii.html
Maybe you can analyze if in BFZ Sealed, it's best to run 17,18, or 19 lands?

Or something more related to project management:
Drafts.in allows a maximum of 8 players to join their sealed/draft pods. Then again it can only start if all those players joined. Now, magic-league Sealed Trials are up to 40 players. Also, the person opening the room has to be in said room as it starts. How can magic-league host events in a good way with drafts.in ?
Everyone should have easy access/knowledge where to join on drafts.in(URL). Every participant should have a deckhash provided by drafts.in by the end of deckbuilding. This deckhash has to be made available to everyone (potential opponents), even outside the drafts.in room. - That's a practical problem where the solution would help ML grctly Smile Sealed is not very popular because the on-website deckbuilder is not the most userfriendly.
Grok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derflippi wrote:

Or something more related to project management:
Drafts.in allows a maximum of 8 players to join their sealed/draft pods. Then again it can only start if all those players joined. Now, magic-league Sealed Trials are up to 40 players. Also, the person opening the room has to be in said room as it starts. How can magic-league host events in a good way with drafts.in ?
Everyone should have easy access/knowledge where to join on drafts.in(URL). Every participant should have a deckhash provided by drafts.in by the end of deckbuilding. This deckhash has to be made available to everyone (potential opponents), even outside the drafts.in room. - That's a practical problem where the solution would help ML grctly Smile Sealed is not very popular because the on-website deckbuilder is not the most userfriendly.

I was just discussing this with seebanane and others during the last sealed trial. They were understandably concerned with the amount of time it would take judges to organize a trial using drafts.in. In my opinion, someone needs to try it once, just to test it. If it's really unbearable then we can think about other solutions, or talk to Aeos about implementing a version of drafts.in that can accommodate Magic League's needs. Actually you should do that either way. Have you done that yet?

The plan would require the judge to open X/7 rooms on drafts.in, where X is the number of players in the event. Then divide up the players into groups of at most 7, and give them the appropriate URL to get into their room. Because the judge is the 8th player in every room, they will be able to copy and paste all of the deck hashes onto Magic League, which would be posted in the same place used for sealed deck codes now.

After that, everything should work the same, assuming players are linked to a tutorial explaining how to download a deck and basic lands from drafts.in, which is easier than the current ML builder. Of course they will have to ignore the drafts.in pairings and only refer to the official ML tournament page for pairings and deck hashes after they download.

It would require more work for the organizer, but I think the payoff would be huge. At the very least you should experiment with it once. More people would join, because everyone on Cockatrice already uses drafts.in to play limited. People would also keep coming back because drafts.in allows you to sort by curve and color, and actually identify cards by their art which I'm sure more players have mental shortcuts to than card names.
Gracco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the x/7 idea is flawed. It would make the TC have to draft a deck in every pod....

As for a project idea.....maybe something involving game and set theory and the statistical impact of the decision making process in game with actual games being played to gather the data.
Grok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracco wrote:
the x/7 idea is flawed. It would make the TC have to draft a deck in every pod....

We're not talking about draft, we're talking about sealed. In a sealed pod on drafts.in, the judge doesn't have to submit a deck for everyone else to be able to. It's just a way to generate a pool and a deck hash.

A draft pod can only have 8 players anyway which is why we currently use drafts.in for drafts on Magic League.
seeBanane
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done that in the past, grok, and it wasn't pretty. It takes a lot of time to make sure that everybody has a spot, that noone is in two rooms, we can't make sure that names are correctly attributed to the players on m-l (people could wreck and troll us by joining with fake names), it takes long to hand out the links to everyone, you don't automatically get lands added in your sideboard and you're unable to do so without changing the deck hash, people can easily change their hash tag at all times and they're harder to keep track at, you need more judges..

Also, the ml builder works just fine. It's not beautiful, but it's functional.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound like the fun police but what I'm going to say to your here, is when picking projects like this you need to consider who is marking it. As a rule never choose an area some one is an expert in, as they will expect to much from you. But you also need to pick an area the person marking has some knowledge understanding of. If your tutor plays magic this maybe great, but if not its going to be very hard for him to relate understand, the topic your writing about. Which in turn will more than likely result in a bad grade.

I think it's a fantastic idea but it's not the right level of education for doing something like this.
Grok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeBanane wrote:
We have done that in the past, grok, and it wasn't pretty. It takes a lot of time to make sure that everybody has a spot, that noone is in two rooms, we can't make sure that names are correctly attributed to the players on m-l (people could wreck and troll us by joining with fake names), it takes long to hand out the links to everyone, you don't automatically get lands added in your sideboard and you're unable to do so without changing the deck hash, people can easily change their hash tag at all times and they're harder to keep track at, you need more judges..

Also, the ml builder works just fine. It's not beautiful, but it's functional.

Fair enough, if you tried it and it didn't work then there's no reason to keep doing it. However, I highly disagree that the ML deck builder is functional. For any reasonable person who has built a deck in paper Magic, on MTGO, or on Drafts.in, trying to use the ML builder for the first time will be incomprehensible. I've used it dozens of times now and I still build worse decks there than I would anywhere else because I can't sort the cards by mana cost, color, or card type. Maybe you can keep all of that information in your head, but Magic is a very visual game, and many players are visual learners. Changing the building process to text guarantees that only the most dedicated players will bother to show up to a sealed trial on Magic League.

I think something has to change. Obviously derflippi doesn't have the development resources to program a visual deck editor, but I think my suggestion to contact Aeos and work with Drafts.in is the right way to go. You could arrange some sort of ad revenue sharing to justify the time he would spend building a room that can support more than 8 people. If you don't do something different, the limited community of Magic League will continue to languish.
seeBanane
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a surefire way to get a sealed event of, say, up to 60 players on drafts in and remove the problems attached to it, I'm sure we'd consider that, but as I said it does make keeping track of hashtags harder, too.
I don't think that my deckbuilding suffers from the ml builder, but then again I play quite a lot and know all of the cards
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot to be considered about card evaluation in various formats (restrictions, card pool, meta, availability), but idk if there's enough for 75 hours of work.
mchosa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

develop a card sorting machine. sort by set rarity color etc. if you have a good plan there are dealers out there willing to invest in this to sort their bulk
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1