Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Walk

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Sprouts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Time Walk Reply with quote

Hello all

Back in 2009 (or 2010) I made a deck I really liked, It was based on taking as many turns possible by recurring time warp and exhaustion, and finishing the opponent off with a rude awakening. The deck worked very well, winning around 90% of games 1, unfortunately, the deck was very hard to pilot, and post side games were more complicated. I stopped playing mtg shortly after, without getting to develop the deck the way I really wanted to

After meeting a friend who plays mtg, I've been back to playing a bit, and would like to give this concept another chance. Back in 2009 I believe it was extended legal? I would like to gear the deck towards modern, I'm sure many cards have appeared that could benefit the deck, and some are gone (the finisher, Rude awakening for example), so any help is appreciated.

Here is the decklist I used to play with, from memory, so some numbers might be off. (Also I cant remember the sideboard at all.. it was very meta specific, and lots of stuff against burn which is the only bad matchup)

4 breeding pool

4 flooded grove (I think there was no misty rainforest?)

15 island

4 ancestral vision

4 boomerang

4 jace beleren

4 howling mine

3 kami of the crescent moon

4 gigadrowse

4 exhaustion

4 time warp

3 reclaim

3 rude awakening

Thanks everyone. Glad to see the league is still going strong.
Sprouts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the comments

Very nice to see this archetype has been independently worked on by other people and achieved at least some result

The original deck wasn't intended as an unlimited turns deck (It actually wasn't capable of going anywhere near that), It just wanted to survive until turn 8 or 9 when you could swing with Rude Awakening

I actually found a rather big forum dedicated to this archetype,

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/571235-time-walk

ancestral vision being banned certainly explains its lack of appearance in decklists.. a shame, I really liked the cards because it often made the game more skill intensive (though perhaps often less?)

Cheers
EternalChaos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a version i played that was pretty hilarious that isn't covered (at least in the main primer) to some decent success at FNM's for a while

4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of hand
4 Manamorphose
4 Remand
4 Cryptic Command
3 Snapcaster
3 Time Warp
4 Pyromancer's Acsension
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Electrolyze

22 Lands

SB:
2 spellskite
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Pestermite
4 splinter Twin
1 Kiki Jikie
It's absolutely hilarious as early turns people expect you to be storm when they see sleights or the early pyro, then all of a sudden their early pressure is being remanded and crypticed away, as you slowly build your graveyard and getting supervalue off all your spells, and start double and triple bounce-drawing their lands away, or keeping their board tapped while drawing cards.

Once you have multiple pyro's online you can infinite draw your deck by casting manamorphose, let two copies resolve, cast remand, have the copies of remand target original morphose and original remands, repeat. Then you just fire off your bolts for 9 damage each and laugh you ass off.

Then once your opponent goes on full tilt you full board into early style combo twin because they have no removal in their deck and laugh even harder.

PS I actually won a win a box event at a Mana-Deprived Super Series side event with it. It was the greatest thing ever.
Gul_Dukat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: , Reply with quote

I was joking to my friend today how the new timewalk in BFZ is the only new modern playable card.

it would fit great in here.

I also know someone won a 150 player tournament here with it, he did got VERY lucky though Razz

I tried this deck a few times though and I think the new time walk will have a huge impact since with awaken that can just be your wincon and you don't have to mill them with jace.

of course when you are taking infinite turns you are already winning..

but I don't remember jace being that great, I hate how awkard howling mine is against all the k command decks though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1