Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 328 - Dinosaurs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Grok

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: CaC 328 - Dinosaurs Reply with quote

You are designing a two-set block: Dinosaur World. Humans and dinosaurs coexist in Set 1, but the humans are primitive and the dinosaurs are dominant. In Set 2, a meteor impacts the plane, setting off an extinction event. Dinosaurs are weak and dying, while humans and other mammals grow in power to fill the void.

Your job is to design two cards. The first card can be anything that would flavorfully fit in a Dinosaur World for Set 1, where dinosaurs are king. Then, design a card that would fit in Set 2, after dinosaurs are in the process of dying. The cards could be the same creature at different points in time to show the changing world. Or your cards could be story elements, like a representation of the meteor.

I've never judged one of these before (the last contest was the first I entered) but I guess I'm looking for flavor first, then creativity, then balance (could Wizards actually print this?). Good luck!
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spined Tyrannosaur 3RG

Creature - Lizard Beast [Mythic Rare, Set 1]

Trample

Devour 2

When Spined Tyrannosaur enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target creature equal to the number of +1/+1 counter on it.

6/4

--------------

Urk, the Tyrannosaur Hunter RG

Legendary Creature - Human Berserker [Mythic Rare, Set 2]

T: Put a 1/1 red Human Berserker creature token with haste onto the battlefield.

2RG, Tap three Humans you control: Destroy target creature with power 5 or greater. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on Urg, the Tyrannosaur Hunter, where X is the destroyed creature's power.

2/2
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hatchery for Carnivores RG
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature dies, you may pay R, if you do put an egg counter on Hatchery for Carnivores.
Whenever a player draws a card, you may pay G, if you do put an egg counter on Hatchery for Carnivores.

Sacrifice Hatchery for Carnivores: put X 2/2 green Lizard creature tokens onto the battlefield where X is the number of egg counters on Hatchery for Carnivores.

Quote:
Homo Sapiens 2
Creature Artifact - Human R
Whenever Homo Sapiens is equiped, equip cost is 0.
Science without conscience is but the ruin of the soul! Rabelais
1/1

Last edited by Thelemys on Sun May 24, 2015 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
IvanDano

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadly Kronosaur

2UU

Rare

Creature - Lizard Beast

If an opponent controls an Island, you may untap Deadly Kronosaur at the beginning of that player's combat step and Deadly Kronosaur gains first strike until end of turn.

4/4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tusko, Leader of the Herd

2GGG

Legendary Creature - Mammoth

Mythic Rare

Trample

Other Mammoth creatures you control get +1/+1.

At the beginning of your end step, you may put a 3/3 Green Mammoth token with trample on the battlefield.

5/5

Last edited by IvanDano on Sun May 24, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallgrass Raptor | 1G

Creature - Beast | U

First Strike; Deathtouch

2/1

Desert Raptor | R

Creature - Beast | U

Double Strike; Haste

1/1
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reptile's Sledge - 2RR
Instant (uncommon)
Reptile's Sledge deals 4 damage to target creature. If you control a Lizard, it deals 4 damage to that creature's controller.

Crater Hero - 1RR
Creature - Human Warrior (uncommon)
Double Strike
Protection from creatures with converted mana-cost 4 or more
2/2
Grok

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0NPROJECT wrote:
Well um, since Grok appears to have been banned, IvanDano is the runner-up winner if that's the case.

I'm still here. I'll judge tomorrow.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Rex, the Despot Tyrant 2RR

Legendary Creature - Lizard Beast [M]

BB: King Rex, the Despot Tyrant gains deathtouch and wither until end of turn.

GG: Target creature you control fights target creature. Activate this ability only during your turn, before attackers are declared.

He was big on wasteful excess. Also, he was big.

2/8

Fire Exaltation WRB

Artifact [U]

Tap, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated this turn.

My cards represent the objects of worship in the dominant cultures before and after the extinction event. Note that suicide-bombing zealots aren't popular among the wild (Green) or the scientific (Blue).

Last edited by saurgoth on Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Csquared08

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veloxa, Queen of the Raptors - 3RR

Legendary Creature - Dinosaur (M)

Haste, first strike

Whenever another red dinosaur creature enters the battlefield under your control, it gains haste and first strike until the beginning of the next end step.

4/4

If you can see her, you're already dead.

(The art features a regal, ruthless velociraptor after a successful hunt)

Veloxa, the Last Raptor - 2RR

First strike

If Veloxa, the Last Raptor is the only dinosaur creature under your control, she gains vigilance and lifelink.

3RRR: Return Veloxa, the Last Raptor from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if you control no dinosaurs.

3/4

The dinosaurs are extinct, some say. Too bad no one told Veloxa, not that she would have listened.

(The art features a weary, battle-scarred velociraptor surrounded by dead bodies)
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/376332112584609348/
Grok

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco:

Quote:
Jaws of the Thunder Lizard ........1G
Instant..........C

Target creature gets +3/+3 until the end of turn. If that creature is a Lizard, instead it gets +5/+5 and gains trample until the end of turn.

Spear of the Neanderthal...........1R
Instant............C

Spear of the Neanderthal deals 1 damage to target creature or player for each human on the battlefield.

Good parallel design. Simple, direct flavor demonstrates how the world has changed from being dominated by dinosaurs to humans on simple, well-balanced cards that hint at a tribal theme without making it mandatory. I have a couple of quibbles with the designs, though. First, Spear of the Neanderthal should probably only deal damage based on the number of humans you control, as that is how Wizards templates cards these days. Second, I wish you (and everyone else who posted a card) wasn’t afraid to use the dinosaur creature type instead of Wizard’s pathetic “lizard” cop out. I know that any “dinosaurs” printed today are lizards, but I guarantee that if they ever make a dinosaur set they will adopt the dinosaur creature type. I won’t take off points for that, I just wanted to mention it.

7/10, the flavor and design were sufficient to tell the story but the cards didn’t excite me.

ShamedShadow:

Quote:
Spined Tyrannosaur 3RG

Creature - Lizard Beast [Mythic Rare, Set 1]

Trample

Devour 2

When Spined Tyrannosaur enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target creature equal to the number of +1/+1 counter on it.

6/4

--------------

Urk, the Tyrannosaur Hunter RG

Legendary Creature - Human Berserker [Mythic Rare, Set 2]

T: Put a 1/1 red Human Berserker creature token with haste onto the battlefield.

2RG, Tap three Humans you control: Destroy target creature with power 5 or greater. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on Urg, the Tyrannosaur Hunter, where X is the destroyed creature's power.

2/2

This is a much more splashy way to demonstrate the changing world, with two legendary creatures that are clearly designed to be the chase rares of the block. The Tyrannosaur will presumably have an easy time either devouring or destroying humans in the first set, while in the next set a human hunter has arisen to challenge him with an army. I think this is a flavor home run, but the design of the cards is a little wordy and probably a little too powerful to see print. The Tyrannosaur is mostly fine but I could see it losing trample or costing another mana. Urk just has way too many abilities, which somewhat obscures the flavor. If the tokens he generated did not have haste, and if he didn’t gain counters from destroying a creature, I think the card would flow better. Also, the “destroy target creature with power N or greater” is usually in White’s color pie.

8/10, great flavor but the cards are too cluttered and too powerful.

Thelemys:

Quote:
Hatchery for Carnivores RG
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature dies, you may pay R, if you do put an egg counter on Hatchery for Carnivores.
Whenever a player draws a card, you may pay G, if you do put an egg counter on Hatchery for Carnivores.

Sacrifice Hatchery for Carnivores: put X 2/2 green Lizard creature tokens onto the battlefield where X is the number of egg counters on Hatchery for Carnivores.

Homo Sapiens 2
Creature Artifact - Human R
Whenever Homo Sapiens is equiped, equip cost is 0.
Science without conscience is but the ruin of the soul! Rabelais
1/1

I like what Hatchery is trying to do, but I think you needed to either change the name (why do Carnivores care about drawing cards?) or one of the abilities. Also, it seems strange that a hatchery would be something ethereal, like an enchantment. This card might have been better served as a creature with defender, an artifact, or a land with a lower power level. Homo Sapiens is interesting because you hint at an equipment theme, which makes sense in the second set; if humans want to compete against dinosaurs, they need better tools. The actual text of the card wouldn’t work, though, and should be changed to something like “You may attach equipment you control to Homo Sapiens without paying its equip cost.”

6/10, good flavor but the card design needs to be heavily revised.

IvanDano:

Quote:
Deadly Kronosaur

2UU

Rare

Creature - Lizard Beast

If an opponent controls an Island, you may untap Deadly Kronosaur at the beginning of that player's combat step and Deadly Kronosaur gains first strike until end of turn.

4/4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tusko, Leader of the Herd

2GGG

Legendary Creature - Mammoth

Mythic Rare

Trample

Other Mammoth creatures you control get +1/+1.

At the beginning of your end step, you may put a 3/3 Green Mammoth token with trample on the battlefield.

5/5

Kronosaur just doesn’t make sense to me as a blue card; it’s a 4/4 for 4, which is extremely efficient. It cares about Islands, but not for attacking. And it has an ability that grants first strike, which basically never happens on a mono blue card. If this card was tweaked to ambush in a different way (maybe give it flash) or the color was changed and it was flavored as a raptor instead of an ocean creature, it could work. As for Tusko, YES I LOVE MAMMOTHS. You have no idea how long I’ve wanted a mammoth lord, and this card checks all the boxes while showing how mammals supplanted dinosaurs. I wish you invented a unique mechanic that felt particularly mammothy instead of just designing a really efficient creature that spawns more mammoths, but it’s still really cool.

7/10, one of the cards doesn’t make sense flavorwise.
(Mammoth lord: 10/10)

Bejeezus:

Quote:
Tallgrass Raptor | 1G

Creature - Beast | U

First Strike; Deathtouch

2/1

Desert Raptor | R

Creature - Beast | U

Double Strike; Haste

1/1

I love the symmetry here which mostly comes through the names, showing how the lush, forested world was transformed into a desert. The different abilities kind of make sense with the change too, as the Tallgrass Raptor is clearly undefeatable in combat, but becomes smaller, weaker, and thus has to learn how to be faster in the desert. I can see the whole story. However, these cards are hilariously overpowered. Such a cheap creature that wins every combat (first strike, deathtouch) is not only too strong for an uncommon, but probably wouldn’t be printed at rare at that cost. Desert Raptor would be broken in constructed, as it’s basically a strictly better Goblin Guide.

8/10, I really love the design and the way you conveyed flavor with simple cards, but those cards are so absurdly broken that I can’t give you a higher score.

McDonalds:

Quote:
Archaeopteryx - 3BB
Creature - Dinosaur [R]

Flying

When Archaeopteryx enters the battlefield, you may destroy target Human. If you do, gain life equal to the destroyed creature's toughness.

3/3

New at McDonald's: sirloin human burgers. Get yours before he does.

--------------------------

Dino McNuggets - 1B
Creature - Dinosaur [C]

Flying

Whenever a Human enters the battlefield, sacrifice Dino McNuggets and you gain 5 life.

1/1

Our tender, juicy, Archaeopteryx McNuggets are made with USDA-inspected white meat. They're tempura battered and cooked to golden perfection.

Dinosaur McNuggets do sound delicious.

4/10 for literal “flavor.” You lost points for being a corporate shill.

iSperia:

Quote:
Reptile's Sledge - 2RR
Instant (uncommon)
Reptile's Sledge deals 4 damage to target creature. If you control a Lizard, it deals 4 damage to that creature's controller.

Crater Hero - 1RR
Creature - Human Warrior (uncommon)
Double Strike
Protection from creatures with converted mana-cost 4 or more
2/2

Sledge is a simple card that is a bigger version of Draconic Roar. Unoriginal, but effective at showing the focus of the set. Crater Hero demonstrates how much stronger the humans are becoming (although he can still be killed by Sledge which is not a creature) and presumably has protection from any dinosaur big enough to kill him, assuming the dinosaurs in this set all cost 4 or more. Hero’s design evokes Mirran Crusader.

7/10, your cards reflect the story of the block but the designs themselves are too heavily based on existing cards to wow me.

Saurgoth:

Quote:
King Rex, the Despot Tyrant 2RR

Legendary Creature - Lizard Beast [M]

BB: King Rex, the Despot Tyrant gains deathtouch and wither until end of turn.

GG: Target creature you control fights target creature. Activate this ability only during your turn, before attackers are declared.

He was big on wasteful excess. Also, he was big.

2/8

Fire Exaltation WRB

Artifact [U]

Tap, Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated this turn.

My cards represent the objects of worship in the dominant cultures before and after the extinction event. Note that suicide-bombing zealots aren't popular among the wild (Green) or the scientific (Blue).

I like the story idea you had, but I’m not sure I would have been able to interpret the connection between the cards without your explanation at the end, which means the cards themselves failed to convey the story. King Rex is a cool card I would want to play with, but I can’t figure out why a mono red card has such high toughness; Wizards moved high toughness to black recently. Fire Exaltation looks extremely powerful and fun to use, but the idea of suicidal zealots doesn’t immediately tell any story. Who are they bombing? What does the artifact actually look like? The name Fire Exaltation sounds like a ritual rather than an object.

7/10, you designed very interesting cards but they didn’t really tell a story by themselves.

Csquared08:

Quote:
Veloxa, Queen of the Raptors - 3RR

Haste, first strike

Whenever another red dinosaur creature enters the battlefield under your control, it gains haste and first strike until the beginning of the next end step.

4/4

If you can see her, you're already dead.

(The art features a regal, ruthless velociraptor after a successful hunt)

Veloxa, the Last Raptor - 2RR

First strike

If Veloxa, the Last Raptor is the only dinosaur creature under your control, she gains vigilance and lifelink.

3RRR: Return Veloxa, the Last Raptor from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if you control no dinosaurs.

3/4

The dinosaurs are extinct, some say. Too bad no one told Veloxa, not that she would have listened.

(The art features a weary, battle-scarred velociraptor surrounded by dead bodies)

Finally, someone uses the dinosaur subtype! Your first card is balanced and powerful, but not particularly exciting. What really pushes your submission over the top is the second card, which effortlessly tells the block’s story. After the meteor, Veloxa is slightly weaker but has learned how to survive on her own. I love the callback to Thrun. The names, flavor text, art description, and mechanics all come together to effectively show the changing world through the eyes of a creature I feel sorry for. It’s difficult to make cards that evoke emotion, but I think you succeeded here. My only quibble is that mono red probably shouldn’t get lifelink or vigilance, so you might want to make her multicolored or change the abilities. Moving the phoenix ability to a dinosaur that just refuses to die is a neat idea, but it should probably only work at sorcery speed.

9/10, you created balanced cards that told an emotional story, although I think you need a better reason to break the color pie.

The winner is Csquared08 with two versions of Veloxa that told the story of the same dinosaur slightly more effectively than the runner-up, Bejeezus. The story portrayed in Bejeezus’s submission subtly showed changes in the environment rather than a single character, but he loses out because the cards he designed are way, way too strong for their cost.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Veloxa
Csquared08

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
Giving mono red access to lifelink is nearly unprintable. The cards were pretty awesome tho...

It was something I struggled with, but it worked so well flavorwise, and it was a mythic, so I figured why not.
brianhri
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouncing Raptor 1R

Creature - Dinosaur Rare

Flash

When Pouncing Raptor enters the battlefield destroy target creature with toughness 3 or less.

2/2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The end 3BB

Enchantment Mythic

When The end enters the battlefield put an evolution counter on each creature in play.

When The End leaves play, exile all creatures with evolution counters on them.

Creatures with evolution counters on them are 1/1 humans with no abilities.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2