Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passworded Tournament Rooms (and how they are complete BS!)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

should rooms be allowed to be passworded?
ban passworded rooms
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
allow passworded rooms
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Gigabyte9000

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Passworded Tournament Rooms (and how they are complete BS!) Reply with quote

At your local game store im sure when your in a tournament and your match is finished you like to go around and look at the other players playing. could you imagine when playing in a tournament at your lgs if when pairings happened you were locked in a room with your opponent and only judges could enter. and when your match was finished you had to sit in a waiting room and wait for other players to finish? sounds horrible right. well thats the way tournament organizers are allowing tournaments to go on on magic league. "its a players right to conceal deck information" is what one tournament organizer told me and honestly i can understand "wanting" to do that but magic is a spectators sport as much as it is a competitive sport. if this were the case we wouldnt be able to watch pro tours and such. its just complete bull to allow passworded rooms like this. and when i asked if it was my right to allow spectators in my match as well as my opponents i was told i dont have that right. he has the right to password the room but i cant let people watch. this is absurd. please people voice your opinions on this matter because i dont feel like passworded rooms should be legal like this. its unfair to the players and the spectators alike.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The introduction of spectating creates an opportunity for a player to gain an unfair advantage over a possible future opponent in a Trial or Master.
FF3Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic-League is not your local game store. Playing magic on a computer is fundamentally different than playing live. Sequestering games is a big aspect of that difference.

I can imagine a place where you are figuratively locked in a room and scouting is impossible--and it's great. Especially for limited. There is a reason why limited Grand Prix top 8s are sequestered now. Part of the appeal of the game is analyzing how to play around wide ranges of possible cards, or coming up with new tech for constructed that might take an opponent by surprise.

If you really want your friend to sweat your game stream it or share screen on Skype.
_Godica

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Passworded Tournament Rooms (and how they are complete B Reply with quote

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
At your local game store im sure when your in a tournament and your match is finished you like to go around and look at the other players playing.

Magic-League is not your LGS.

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
could you imagine when playing in a tournament at your lgs if when pairings happened you were locked in a room with your opponent and only judges could enter. and when your match was finished you had to sit in a waiting room and wait for other players to finish? sounds horrible right.

Were you aware that this not only exists, but does so as a commercial product that generates almost $100 million per year? That's right, you just described Magic Online. (Which is horrible, but for other reasons not relevant to your argument.)

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
magic is a spectators sport as much as it is a competitive sport.

Do you believe there are people who spectate M-L tourneys for entertainment only? If so, what is your evidence for believing this?

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
if this were the case we wouldnt be able to watch pro tours and such.

Do you think that any argument which applies to a Pro Tour should also apply to a M-L tourney? If so, why do you think that?

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
and when i asked if it was my right to allow spectators in my match as well as my opponents i was told i dont have that right. he has the right to password the room but i cant let people watch.

Yes -- when two things conflict, they cannot possibly both be "rights." That would be a contradiction, a bit like saying "you have the right to free speech, but I have the right to not be told I am wrong" -- one of those things is not a right, even if I might prefer it to be.

Gigabyte9000 wrote:
its unfair to the players and the spectators alike.

You haven't provided a convincing argument that it is unfair to any player. Furthermore, you haven't provided any reason to believe that there *are* any spectators -- people only spectate when they are playing in an event, and either want to see what a potential opponent is playing or cannot think of another way to entertain themselves.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Passworded Tournament Rooms (and how they are complete B Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:
That would be a contradiction, a bit like saying "you have the right to free speech, but I have the right to not be told I am wrong" --

Tell that to Israel.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that a Balfour/McMahon joke?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no idea who that is.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contradictory promises made by the British government during WWI concerning the formation of Israel/Palestine.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a history buff so I would not know about that, my understanding of Israel/Palestine is the issue goes back way further than that. I was simply referring to the fact, that in the mainstream media currently if you criticise Israel, for what is thinly veiled genocide you lose your job and in fact any criticism of Israel is censored in the west.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, scouting is cheating. At my lgs when my round ends i normally leave the store and sit outside and wait, most other people take smoke breaks and such so no one in the tourney really watches other people's games.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1