Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 325 - Retreads

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
saurgoth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: CaC 325 - Retreads Reply with quote

Remodel an existing non-creature card.

Examples: Worn Powerstone (non-broken Sol Ring), Mulldrifter (modal Divination), Seal of Primordium (color pie), or simply Dragon Fodder appearing in the new block.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merfolk Thoughtmolder 1U

Creature - Merfolk Wizard [Uncommon]

Islandwalk

When Merfolk Thoughtmolder enters the battlefield, you may look at the top X cards of your library where X is the number of Merfolk you control, then put them back in any order. You may shuffle your library. Then, draw a card.

1/3

-------

A play on Ponder, with some added Merfolk flavoring.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpeteer of Deafening 1WW
Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)
3, tap: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by target creature this turn.
A blast, an echo . . . then silence.
1/4

-----
A play on Horn of Deafening, with some added Fallen Empires / Homelands flavoring.
IvanDano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealed in Doom

2B

Instant

When you cast Sealed in Doom, you may pay X black mana.

Destroy target non-black creature. If X was paid, you may destroy X target non-black creatures on the battlefield. Creatures destroyed by Sealed in Doom cannot be regenerated.

Last edited by IvanDano on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original card: Birthing Pod

Quote:
Birthing Beast 3G
Creature - Beast R
1G, Sacrifice Birthing Beast: Search your library for a green creature card with converted mana cost of 4 or less, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice.
5/5

Last edited by Thelemys on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal Keeper - 2BB
Creature - Human Wizard (rare)
Players skip their draw steps
Sacrifice a permanent: draw a card. Any player may use this ability.
2/5

this is some fantasy on posessed portal Smile
saurgoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
I am the nightmare from which you never awake.

And Stucco zooms into the early lead!
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging?
saurgoth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I had hoped the new post was another entry.

Judging on Friday.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tier 3
Merfolk Thoughtmolder doesn't really feel like a Ponder/Portent to me. It's certainly a value uncommon, but because of the cantrip ability, P/T, and evasion, the card it immediately reminds me of is Raven Familiar.
The card Birthing Beast wants to emulate is clear, but I can't get over how different it is. You can only use it once, and not in response to an impending death. Despite being that much weaker, it's still a 5/5 for 4 mana with an additional ability... small wonder the card got banned.
Jon gives me the impression that Cloud Crow is closer to trolling than an actual entry.

Tier 2
I recall liking Sealed in Doom before the edit, and of course it was obvious which card was being reprinted, but now it's just an overpowered removal spell that should probably have the keyword Strive or Replicate.
Trumpeteer of Deafening is actually a very good conversion of the Horn, which I would have identified as the inspiration had I ever seen the card before. You get a Boo! Hiss!, however, for copying the flavor text and passing it off as "added FE flavoring".

Tier 1
Portal Keeper is a nice take on its artifact predecessor, and all the stats seem right (see Magus of the Abyss/Tabernacle). I may or may not have identified the original without your comment, but then again it's a 10-year-old junk rare.
And the winner is Ygoth, Serial Reaver! Immediately identifiable as Recurring Nightmare? Yes! Matching the original's functionality surprisingly well (basically gives the enchantment summoning sickness and makes it more easily removed). Yes! Trolling the whole concept of the reprint challenge with the-card-that-just-won't-go-away? Yes, yes, and yes! Also, nice flavor text.

First place to Stucco, second to iSperia
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go next!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1