Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 317 - Window Dressing (Judged)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Livermush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: CaC 317 - Window Dressing (Judged) Reply with quote

Quote:
The Multiverse—a boundless expanse of worlds, each different from the last. These worlds, called planes, differ as widely as the imagination. One plane might be covered entirely in dense jungle, for example. On another, city has replaced nature entirely. Still others are volcanic, icy, barren, or more like our own world, with many varied elements.

Depending on how long you've been addicted to this vile cardboard crack, you're probably already well aware of all the different planes of existence which make up the exotic locales within the Magic: the Gathering universe. Mirrodin has artifacts, Ravnica has guilds, Kamigawa has... Asians? The thing is, as much as WotC insists each plane is different, the actual differences are only superficial. The art styles and stories do vary greatly, but at the end of the day, it's still the same midevil fantasy we as nerds have been bombarded with since Lord of the Rings happened.

My challenge to you, create a card from a set that's atypical for Magic. This could be anything from a cyberpunk setting, a giant robot anime setting, or even a retelling of your own insignificant, hum-drum life.

Pay special attention to card interactions between your theoretical set and authentic Magic releases, the goal here is to adapt something drastically different from Magic as we know it while keeping the internal logic constant. For example, say you created a card for a character whose primary means of attack is an impossibly-sized rocket launcher, but you gave his attack a value of 3. Remember: rocket launchers are vastly superior to bears, perhaps you should rethink the rocket launcher (or R&D should reconsider the relative strength of a grizzly).

Judging will be based on proper usage of rules text, creativity, and adherence to proper balancing and will take place sometime before Wednesday.

Last edited by Livermush on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
kenny18O

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death note 3

artifact equipement rare

equiped creature has "tap : put a death counter on target human creature."

at the end of each opponent turn , destroy each creature with a death counter on it.

equip 1

1 The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
2 If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of the subject's name, it will happen.
3 If the cause of death isn't specified, the victim dies of a heart attack in 40 seconds.

Last edited by kenny18O on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbytg wrote:
2 If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of the subject's name, it will happen.
3 If the cause of death isn't specified, the victim dies of a heart attack in 40 seconds.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Predator 2GBB

Legendary Creature - Hunter M
3: Predator gains Hexproof until end of turn
3: Put two -1/-1 counter on target creature
If a creature attacked, blocked or targeted by Predator would die this turn, exile it instead.
"What the hell are you?"
5/5
pantheismftw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guts, the Black Swordsman BR

Legendary Creature - Human Berserker

First Strike, Haste

Pay 10 life: Guts deals 2 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only once per game.

"They call him the hundred-man slayer, but he earned that nickname in his youth. He now hunts demigods."

3/1

Last edited by pantheismftw on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Canabiest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private Eye
BW
Creature - Human Advisor
Uncommon

Whenever Private Eye is dealt damage, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.

1/3

This one of course is a Noir trope. Getting hit during their investigation and exposing secrets is what every good noir investigator does.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tauntaun - (G/J)(W/J)

Creature - Camel [Common]

Banding, protection from snow.

Creatures banded with Tauntaun have protection from snow.

Tap, sacrifice Tauntaun: Regenerate target Human. Each player loses 2 life.

1/2

And I thought they smelled bad .... ..... on the outside!

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/empirestrikesback/tauntaun.jpg

(J is the Jedi mana symbol)
IvanDano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watchers

Colorless

Legendary Creature - Visitor

Mythic Rare

When The Watchers enter the battlefield, choose one:

* Exile a creature an opponent controls on the battlefield. The owner of that creature cannot play spells until end of turn. Return that creature to the battlefield on your next end step.
* Search your library for an artifact card and put that card into your hand. Shuffle your library.

2/2
Livermush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco

Quote:
Contraption............ 0
Contraption - Unassembled......U

Tap an untapped Rigger creature you control: Put an assemble counter on this Contraption.

When this Contraption has 3 or more assemble counters, flip it.
-------------------------------------------
Mounted Flame Thrower
Contraption - Assembled...........U

Each creature you control with defender has, "Tap this creature: This creature deals 3 damage divided any way you choose among any number of attacking creatures of your choice."

I only have one question: would this be printed like Delver of Secrets or Bushi Tenderfoot? I like the idea of hidden information in revealed zones. You Thoughtseize me, see a Contraption in my hand. Maybe it's the crappy "gain 2 life" one, or maybe it's the mythic rare "destroy everything and smack your opponent in the face" card.

Your submission falls somewhere between the two, though probably more on the overpowered side of the spectrum, depending entirely on the set it would be printed in. Being able to block with your defenders AND have them shoot fire at things afterwards seems good, though it forces you to have an entirely defensive plan, meaning you'll either have a very small and interruptable offensive prescence or you will require an alternate win-con. Is that enough to balance this card? Probably still a little over-powered for uncommon.

Rules Text: 5/5
Creativity: 2.5/5
Balancing: 2.5/5

Total: 10/15

bobbytg

Quote:
death note 3

artifact equipement rare

equiped creature has "tap : put a death counter on target human creature."

at the end of each opponent turn , destroy each creature with a death counter on it.

equip 1

Yay, Death Note. That was sarcasm, but don't worry, I won't take off points because I don't like your reference. I also won't take off any points for your lack of capitalization and punctuation as all the rules text seems to be in order.

I do have a few gripes with your submission. First is there's really nothing new here. Were this not a reference to an anime, it would fit in with any Magic set. Second, at rare, this card just feels underwhelming, but mostly due to the "target human creature" clause. I think you could've made this an uncommon and it'd be at the perfect power.

What you did right: the second part of the rules text, "at the end of each opponent's turn". That's good designing.

Creativity: 1/5
Balancing: 3/5

Total: 9/15

Thelemys

Quote:
Predator 2GBB

Legendary Creature - Hunter M
3: Predator gains Hexproof until end of turn
3: Put two -1/-1 counter on target creature
If a creature attacked, blocked or targeted by Predator would die this turn, exile it instead.
"What the hell are you?"
5/5

If you asked me 10 years ago if this card was over-powered, I'd smack you for asking such a dumb question. However, in this brave new world of Monsters: the Gathering, I think our tentacle dredlocked homie is probably balanced. Probably. The only hesisitation I have is that his activated abilities, For one, I think they should have colors, 1G for the first and 1BB for the second. Secondly, putting 2 -1/-1 counters on a creature, I think that pushes him over the edge. If he had to tap to do that, I'd say it was fair. But you pushed and even if you went a step or two too far, fortune favors the brave, no?

Also, really, Predator? C'mon.

Creativity: 1/5
Balancing: 4/5

Pantheismftw

Quote:
Guts, the Black Swordsman BR

Legendary Creature - Human Berserker

First Strike, Haste

Pay 10 life: Guts deals 2 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only once per game.

"They call him the hundred-man slayer, but he earned that nickname in his youth. He now hunts demigods."

3/1

You guys are starting to stretch my vast knowledge of things I have no interest in. Never watched Berserk, but if you can't tell, I have friends who do, and they annoy me about these things to no end, but on to your card. I'm gonna ignore his activated ability, it's obviously a reference to his story and it's....interesting? Not quite playable, but then again, paying half my life to shock a guy isn't why I want him in my deck, and believe me, I want this guy in my RB Aggro list.

Still, nothing much new here. He'd fit in anywhere in the Magic universe. Also, a slap to you for forgetting the rarity. I'll just based off this being rare. You may have meant it to be mythic, but this just feels like a rare to me.

Rules Text: 4/5
Creativty: 1/5
Balancing: 5/5

Canabiest

Quote:
Private Eye
BW
Creature - Human Advisor
Uncommon

Whenever Private Eye is dealt damage, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.

1/3

I think we could both argue over what colors a private investigator would have. I suppose it depends on the individual. Personally, I'd think most would UB. That's just a superficial argument and bares no influence on your score. The 3 toughness, however, is that an expression of the Private Eye's tenacity, how you can shoot him 10 times and never fully kill him? Also, his ability, from a designing standpoint, is risky. I could see a lot of things going wrong here, cards getting banned, people crying.

Still, a solid submission considering you were about the only person to grasp that I wanted something other than a licensed character. I wanted an entirely new universe that was still Magic, a-la Innistrad, and you delivered.

Creativity: 5/5
Balancing: 4.5/5

Total: 14.5/15

Saurgoth

Quote:
Tauntaun - (G/J)(W/J)

Creature - Camel [Common]

Banding, protection from snow.

Creatures banded with Tauntaun have protection from snow.

Tap, sacrifice Tauntaun: Regenerate target Human. Each player loses 2 life.

1/2

And I thought they smelled bad .... ..... on the outside!

Initiating nerd rage cycle in 3...2...1...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS IS A CAMEL. <I start foaming at the mouth, hurling cuss-words and furniture across the room until I remember that I'm not a particularly big Star Wars fan.>

As for the card, I like you introduction of Jedi mana. I'm assuming there's a Sith counterpart, maybe even something to do with smugglers or the Trade Federation <ducks objects being thrown at me for referencing something from the prequels>. Only thing I really have a gripe with is both players losing 2 life. There might be something I'm overlooking, just doesn't seem to fit. Kudos, however, for adding the tap before you sacrifice Tauntaun. As lame as it sounds, it amuses me that he'd get turned sideways before he dies, as though he were laying on the ground. Sigh, simple minds are easily impressed.

Creativity: 2.5/5
Balancing: 5/5[i]
Total: 12.5/15

IvanDano

Quote:
The Watchers

Colorless

Legendary Creature - Visitor

Mythic Rare

When The Watchers enter the battlefield, choose one:

* Exile a creature an opponent controls on the battlefield. The owner of that creature cannot play spells until end of turn. Return that creature to the battlefield on your next end step.
* Search your library for an artifact card and put that card into your hand. Shuffle your library.

2/2

I think this is a reference to the Enochian watchers, angels and/or aliens that, depending on who you ask, come here for various reasons ranging from helping out humanity to giving us the ole probe. Had you made this reference a decade ago, I'd give you serious occult chops and assume that you spent most of your time in a new age bookstore. In this day and age, I think you watch Ancient Aliens a lot.

Things that I like: it's colorless, it's devastating removal that comes with a 2/2, and it's a tutor that also comes with a 2/2. Things I don't like: something beyond the stars, something greater than anything this planet knows, could be killed by a Kird Ape. I'm sure there's a joke about getting killed by the common cold, but the 2/2 body just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Also, a 3cmc removal spell that Silences and gives a Grizzly Bear? So good, it would be in every deck. More over-powered than Jace the Mindsculpter.

[i]Rules Text: 5/5
Creativity: 3/5
Balancing: 1/5

Total: 9/15

Well, there were a lot of licensed characters in this CAC, so much so that if WotC were to even think about printing any of these cards, they'd get sued into next week.

Winner: Canabiest
Runner-up: Saurgoth

Thanks to everyone who submitted a card. Now stop watching so much anime and read a freaking book!
saurgoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:
both players losing 2 life. There might be something I'm overlooking

It smells SOOOOO bad. Noxious fumes envelop the plane.

Also, yes I envisioned Sith mana counterpart. A "Red vs. Blue" block is something Magic could actually do, though it wouldn't be Star Wars or Halo themed for obvious reasons.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly made him black and white because that is the color scheme of noir films.
The ability sure is on the strong side but that part is development. I thought it is kind of an interesting mechanic. The toughnes was there because usually that investigator character is a pretty tough guy and it also makes the mechanic a bit more interesting than just being a death trigger.

The new challenge will be up soon.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all go next
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1