Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 315 - Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: CAC 315 - Judged Reply with quote

Many actually put the mechanics into two new colors. Which is fine with me.
A bit of a focus on Dredge. I would rather have seen some of the other mechanics get attention too.

Livermush wrote:
Predict Doom | RB
Sorcery (Rare)

Predict Doom deals 2 damage to target player. That player discards a card at random.

Forecast - RB, Discard a card, Reveal Predict Doom from your hand: Predict doom deals 2 damage to target player. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

---------------------------------------------------------

The forecast also enables Hellbent!

This seems like a good Blightning variant, could be setting up Blightning itself in some Discard deck.
There is a good twist on the mechanic, making Forecast actually cost a card. But in some decks this might just be right to close out the game. I can see some interesting choices happening with this. Different from the usual ones in burn spells (creature or player).
Predicting doom is a fine flavor for Forecast also.
Rarity and power seem to be okay. It certainly can be a very good card.
I rather like it.
8/10

pantheismftw wrote:
Gravebolt R

Sorcery - Uncommon

Dredge 2

Gravebolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Exile 3 creature cards from your graveyard: Exile Gravebolt from target player's library. Any player may play this ability.

The day the Golgari Shamen discovered the consuming power of pyromancy was a mournful day for almost all of Ravnica. Wurms are no longer the most voracious force in all of Ravnica, the fire that cooks their food is.

Another recurring burn spell. That turns much attention to each players graveyard.
Exiling Gravebolt from the library seems to be a bit wonky, i think you meant graveyard?
It is a better darkblast, so there is that. Seems to be at home in Uncommon.
The flavor is more of an explanation in the text. Which takes up much room on an allready wordy card. So a slight deduction of points I would say but not bad or anything.
The drawback again is what makes it different from other dredge cards.
Okay contribution.
5/10

Stucco wrote:
Reformat the Mind........1UU
Instant.............................U

Scry 3

Dredge 3

Jace scoured his friends thoughts and beliefs, desperately removing the pieces corrupted by Phyrexia.

Merging two mechanics can be fun. Neither is out of place and I like that just two mechanics work as a combination.
The scry thing has been done with Buyback before. But with dredge there are some more choices. You know which cards you would lose. I like this depth.
Memory in connection with dredge works and tieing a broken mechanic to Jace makes sense as well.
Nice card.

7/10

IvanDano wrote:
Rakdos Enslaver

1BR

Creature - Demon

Rare

Haste

When Rakdos Enslaver deal combat damage to player, Detain target creature target player controls.

(Until your next turn, that permanent can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)

3/2

Interesting shift here. Detain can make sense for red. But I would have put it as a pre combat thing, to prevent blocking. The way this one does it, your opponent will have an untapped blocker with your next attack. Which is fine in flavor but can turn out to be kind of a drawback.
The phrasing of the ability would either not need to name the "target player" or you mean "that player" as in the one that was dealt damage. But it is a fine card in either reading.

7/10

derflippi wrote:
Murder of Vulture 2BB
Creature - Bird
Flying
Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard, Murder of Vulture gains Battlecry 1 until end of turn.
2/1

I like the flavor of the whole card from the name to the mechanics.
The balance seems to be good too. I would have liked to see a rarity though.
I however asked for a guild mechanic, so even if Battlecry was only in two colors and is a good fit in a way, I have to deduct some points. Which is a pity. Could have been a contender.

5/10

ShamedShadow wrote:

Torrent of Blood XB

Sorcery [Rare]

Torrent of Blood deals X damage to target creature you don't control. You gain life equal to the amount of damage dealt this way.

Overload XXB, Pay X life

Blood magic is never without spectacular results.

Overload works in about every color and the blood magic flavor is a good port over to black. The life cost is a good ceiling but will be offset by the gain. Which also makes sense.
It almost is a colorshift of Street Spasm. So nothing we have not seen before. Still well executed.

7/10

Thelemys wrote:
Landscape Renewal 4GGG
Sorcery R
Put all lands on top of their owners libraries
Forecast 2GGG - Each player put a land he or she controls on top of his or her library
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before - Robert Wilson Lynd

This can lock games pretty well if you are ahead. In either mode. Using the forecast is almost the decision to never play the spell itself, unless you have another way to produce the mana. But that is a new twist on the mechanic as well.
However there is a problem with making Armageddon effects fun. This might be priced right but will not make the game all that much fun anyways. So I can't get too excited about it.
Not a bad design in itself though.
6/10

saurgoth wrote:
Hoplite Weaponsmith 3W

Creature - Human Soldier [U]

Heroic Whenever you cast a spell that targets Hoplite Weaponsmith, put two +1/+1 counters on Hoplite Weaponsmith.

Graft 2

0/1

Another merger of abilities and these two work well together. White has had a theme of +1/+1 counters in recent sets. So this is a pretty obvious shift and still fitting.
Smithing weapons is a good flavor explanation for Graft though and easily communicated by the name. Also the actual toughness is a change to other Graft cards.

8/10

Dr_Moo wrote:
Spirit of Hope (Uncommon) - 3WW
Creature - Spirit

Flying

When Spirit of Hope enters the battlefield, gain 1 life for each card put into your graveyard this turn.

Dredge 3

3/3

And another dredger. A spirit is good flavor for coming back from the dead. The ETB mechanic rewards you for dredging, which is nice.
I think uncommon is the right rarity for this thing. Which I would say could be a very good limited pick.
Solid!

7/10

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Hellbent Champion 1WW

Protection from red and black

Hellbent - Hellbent Champion becomes a 5/5 black and red creature with protection from white.

2/2

Faith in knowledge is his fated downfall.

This card is missing much, rarity, card and creaturetype.
The change with Hellbent makes sense on a white card as the bad influences on it. I like that flavor. It seems to be a pretty strong card, not necessarily fun, but solid.
Still hard to evaluate with so much missing compared to other entries.

4/10

axman wrote:
Desperation Surge XXUUBB
Target player draws X cards and looses X life.

Hellbent -- Untap all lands you control. Lands you control do not untap during your next upntap step.

The skeletal remains of the Rakdos mages do not serve to remind us of the ruthlessness of the demonfire, but rather the cost of desperation[/i]

Again Hellbent and again missing much. Here the cardtype is very important to make a difference between Instant and Sorcery.
The flavor is allright and I like the mechanics of this card. Could see doing it fun things in a control deck.
Still missing too much information.

3/10

kamphgruppe wrote:
Volcano's Wake 2RW
Instant (Rare)

Volcano's Wake does 2 damage to all attacking creatures

Dredge 3

The Bear clan had always lived within sight of the Volcano. Only the strongest foes dare approach them here.

And yet another dredge card, let' see what you did.
The flavor kind of works out, not sure where the white comes in. But seismic activity is something that could explain being dredged up again. Annoying card against a Weenie deck, where it just about ends the game or grinds it to a halt.
So not too much of a fun one.

5/10

I declare Saurgoth the winner with Livermush as the runner-up.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the win. After dozens of CaCs, i've only felt really really good about 3 or 4 submissions (this being one of them) and I'm glad to see other judges agree.

I'll bounce this around in my head for a bit and post the next one later tonight.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG all!

Go next (and yes I wanted a Stase-green effect) !
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just FYI for Volcano's wake the White was because it deals damge to attacking creatures only, which is usually a white ability.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1