Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 306 [Judged]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: CaC 306 [Judged] Reply with quote

Thank you very much for my first (co-)win in CaC. I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and many ideas for CaC's went through my head since.

This is the current challenge:

Create a creature with a static or triggered ability printed on it that would have influence in Commander and would lead to cool interactions.

Example: Doran the Siege Tower for static ability, Nekusar the Mindrazer for triggered ability.

This is Commander, so think big spells and long games. You can either create a Commander (legendary creature) or state in what Commander Deck you would play that card, if you want.

Judging criteria:

- Commander playability / printability
- Balance
- Flavour, coolness and uniqueness of the ability and the card
- Few words and correct wording

Judging on next Sunday.

Last edited by Soundgarden on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam Familiar (2)
Artifact - rare
T: Add 2 mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Use this mana only to play cards in your command zone.
My favourite pet - Niv Mizzet
0/4

this fits any commander deck you know)

Last edited by iSperia on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asked for a creature Wink
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

art: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Arch-358066233

Quote:
Kori, Blackmoon's Angel WWBB
Legendary Creature - Angel R
Flying
Creatures you control get first strike.
"I don't speak much, those are few words but I'm listened cause I speak first."Kori
5/3

Everyone should have the right to get first srike and not just black and white knights!

Last edited by Thelemys on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:42 am; edited 4 times in total
Strid3r

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys wrote:
Everyone should have the right to get first srike and not just black and white knights!
Noo.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by GreenBear on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Druid of the Claw 2RG

Legendary Creature - Ogre Druid

All creatures have "Tap: Fight target creature. Play this ability only during your postcombat main phase."

Druid of the Claw's toughness is equal to the mana spent to cast it from the command zone.

3/*
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kor Weenie W

Legendary Creature - Kor Warrior | Rare

Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.

2/2

Last edited by Strid3r on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stri3r, you forgot the manacost Wink
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys wrote:
Stri3r, you forgot the manacost Wink

Isn't the mana cost obvious? xD But yea i forgot.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baba Ji 2RR

Legendary Creature - Elemental Wizard - Mythic

Whenever a creature attacks it deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

T: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

0/4

Baba Ji lives for fire, blazes here and there, for flame is Ji in Hindi and lava is Baba.
wolfman2nast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell-Finder Wurm 3BRG

Creature- Wurm (M)

Trample; Haste

When Hell-Finder Wurm enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices a land and a non-land permanent.

At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice Hell-Finder Wurm.

Sacrifice two lands and two non-land permanents: Return Hell-Finder Wurm from your graveyard to your hand.

The holes this wurm bores into the planet become lava tubes, changing the landscape each time it surfaces.

6/6
IvanDano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple of Woe
3BB

If there are five or more creature cards total in all graveyards, Disciple of Woe costs 3 less to cast.

Fear (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)

When Disciple of Woe deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

4/3
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSperia
Quote:
Steam Familiar (2)
Artifact - rare
T: Add 2 mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Use this mana only to play cards in your command zone.
My favourite pet - Niv Mizzet
0/4

First of all, I'm glad you changed your submission to creature. On the other hand it's still not a legal submission since I asked for a static or triggered ability, not an activated one. Furthermore, it would not have any cool interactions on a game of Commander and is simply another mana-stone (on legs, now). Also, your card is missing a creature type. The ability to produce two different mana is strong, obviously, but I also disagree that the card fits into every Commander deck I know. But you got the wording correct, so you got that going for you, which is nice Smile

Thelemys
Quote:
Kori, Blackmoon's Angel WWBB
Legendary Creature - Angel R
Flying
Creatures you control get first strike.
"I don't speak much, those are few words but I'm listened cause I speak first."Kori
5/3

Again, I'm very glad you changed your card again, because it said "Every creature gets first strike" before, which is total non-sense and totally worded wrong.
Now to your card: A 5/3 Flyer for 4 mana with the ability to give all your creatures first strike is a strong card and reminded me of Archetype of Courage. Flavour-wise I would rather see it in red than black, but fine. I liked your earlier version with Protection from white and from black a little better because that makes it harder to get rid of and gave it a feeling of hexproof/shroud like Sigarda, Host of Herons has it. The card is fine but it's not exciting enough to have me build a deck around it. It does take influence on the play style of players, the interaction is not really interesting, though.
The wording is incorrect, by the way. Use "gain" or "have" for abilities and "get" for changes in P/T: "Creatures you control gain First Strike" / "Creatures you control get +1/+1" etc.

saurgoth
Quote:
Druid of the Claw 2RG

Legendary Creature - Ogre Druid

All creatures have "Tap: Fight target creature. Play this ability only during your postcombat main phase."

Druid of the Claw's toughness is equal to the mana spent to cast it from the command zone.

3/*

A static ability that grants activated abilities to creatures, ok!
Before we look at what the card does, let's go over wording again. The correct wording would be:
All creatures have: "T: This creature fights another target creature..."
See Setessan Tactics.
I like that you included the Commander2013 idea that the card changes by how many mana is payed to cast it - you worded it wrong, though: Cut the "from the command zone"! What happens when he gets bounced to my hand and I play it from there?
Now to the card: I like the card a lot since it totally changes the way players will play and the whole combat situation on board. It does not feel overpowered and I can't think of any way to abuse it (besides cards like Archetype of Finality). I've seen pinger-type Commander decks before and they were usually UR. Having a "fight-themed" deck seems like a fun idea that would be interesting to build around. Also, I like the idea that this commander gets harder and harder to be shot by your opponent's creatures the more it's been cast.
Good job.

Castamere
Quote:
Landscape Titan - WUBRG

Creature - Human Titan (R)

Flash

Each creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of non-basic lands that that creature's owner controls. (Ex: If a player controls 2 non-basic lands, their creatures get +2/+2.)

T: Target non-basic land permanently becomes a basic land type of your choice.

5/5

Holy Cow! What a powerhouse! Since 5-color commander decks usually run zero basic lands, this dude here should be a 10/10 flashy guy for 5 mana, who then not only keeps on growing himself but makes all your creatures constantly bigger while it punishes your opponents who play mono-colored decks. That, and the fact that it can be flashed in during combat would lead to really really interesting politics in multiplayer games (mono-colored players will hate you and everyone has to watch which player they want to attack, because you could flash in this dude).
That alone makes it a very powerfull (too powerfull?) card.
His second ability is really strong and I start to think that I would have liked your card better without it. Of course you want to attack with such a big creature but turning off your opponent's utility lands is a pain in the ass and color-screwing them makes them miserable.
Wording: the word "permanently" is not used anymore, I think the correct wording is "(This effect lasts indefinitely.)". You could have balanced it a little more by replacing it with "until Landscape Titan leaves the battlefield." Anyway, good job, but maybe too powerfull and I don't know why it's a human besides his titanness Smile

Strid3r
Quote:
Kor Weenie W

Legendary Creature - Kor Warrior | Rare

Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.

2/2

An Isamaru with an Honor of the pure attached to it. Not much else to say about it, here's the new commander for white weenie Commander decks. Glad you added a mana cost. No cool interactions and not very creative, just solid, plain and simple. Ok, but the name is terrible.

AxiomBlurr
Quote:
Baba Ji 2RR

Legendary Creature - Elemental Wizard - Mythic

Whenever a creature attacks it deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

T: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

0/4

Cool and interesting influence on a multiplayer game, again! Except from the ping effect it does not feel red to me, though.
Also the wording for a ping effect should be: "T: Baba Ji deals 2 damage to target creature or player." Not much more to say about it. I can't think of any build-around strategies but The card seems well balanced, interesting to play with and play against. Good job!

wolfman2nast
Quote:
Hell-Finder Wurm 3BRG

Creature- Wurm (M)

Trample; Haste

When Hell-Finder Wurm enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices a land and a non-land permanent.

At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice Hell-Finder Wurm.

Sacrifice two lands and two non-land permanents: Return Hell-Finder Wurm from your graveyard to your hand.

The holes this wurm bores into the planet become lava tubes, changing the landscape each time it surfaces.

6/6

Took me quite a while to form an opinion on this card.
Let's think multiplayer Commander. A 6/6 haste trampler for 6 is huge. Having all your opponents sacrifice 2 permanents as it enters is simply wild. You won't mind too much cause you'd probably play this in some kind of BRG Prossh token variant. Then having all your opponents sac another 2 permanents when it leaves (which it will, by no later than at the beginning of the next end step) is devastating. Add some land destruction spells and your opponents will outright hate you. Thanks god it is not a legendary creature, so it cannot be your Commander. The reanimation ability feels balanced, in opposite to the rest of the card Smile
The card is fine, I dislike it a little more than other submissions because of its frustrating nature. I think the impact this can have is too powerfull. I'm glad it is not in blink-colors (UW) but I'm sure this can be abused withKiki-Jiki / Splinter Twin effects.

Stucco
Quote:
Rejana, Blade of the Wild...........................3GG
Legendary Creature - Elf Warrior...............R

Other creatures you control that share a type with Rejana get plus +2/+2 and gain, "Regenerate: GG."

A wooden sword not effective for fighting, yet soaring ideals for a forest uniting.

3/3

Do we really need another Commander / Captain for mono-green elf decks? There are dozens who take this spot already and do a great job in it. I think Ezuri is the best so far. The card seems balanced and fine, yet not very creative, nothing special there. Also, the wording should be:
"... and gain GG: Regenerate this creature."
Not much more to say about it.

IvanDano
Quote:
Disciple of Woe
3BB

If there are five or more creature cards total in all graveyards, Disciple of Woe costs 3 less to cast.

Fear (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)

When Disciple of Woe deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

4/3

The card is missing a creature type. Also, is it a legendary creature?
A nice adaptation of Avatar of Woe. I see this as a powerhouse in a limited environment - but I'm not sure what it would do in a game of Commander and what kind of deck would play it.
The card is fine and balanced, yet a little bit underwhelming.

Winners are: saurgoth and AxiomBlurr in no particular order. Whoever opens CaC 307 first deserves it.

Last edited by Soundgarden on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 am; edited 4 times in total
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2