Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card 297 Judged

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Abzan's Benevolent W
Creature - Human Cleric C
Sacrifice Abzan's Benevolent: Creatures you control gain Increase 1.
(Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of turn).

If they give anything less than their best, they sacrifice the Abzan gift.

1/1

Is it just me or is this functionally no different than just giving all of your creatures +1/+1?
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy, clean and until end of turn, not forever.
DuckyNinja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowed Strength - 1GG
Instant (Common)
Lend 1 (You may exile one card that shares a color with Borrowed Strength from your hand rather than pay its mana cost.)
Target creature gets +4/+4 and trample until end of turn.
shadowist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abzan Vanguard WW

Creature- Human Soldier (C)

Sturdy (When ~ enters the battlefield, put a scale counter on it. If it has a scale counter, the next time it would be destroyed or dealt lethal damage, remove all scale and damage counters from ~ instead. As long as ~ has no scale counters, its toughness is 1).

2/2
SylentNyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest In Pieces - 1RR

Enchantment

Whenever a creature you control would be put in a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile that card. If you do, Rest In Peaces deals an amount of damage equal to that creature's power, divided as you choose, among any number of target creatures and/or players (planeswalkers may be targeted as though they were other players).

Deathbellow (Whenever this card is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile it. If you do, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)

"Catapult: out of ammunition!" "...dig up the graves."
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranded Whale 2U
Creature - Whale (C)
Defender
Explosive 2 (If this creature dies, you may have it deal 2 damage to target creature or player.)

Artwork: http://namu-the-orca.deviantart.com/art/Despedida-Vaquita-Goodbye-Vaquita-470879101
SylentNyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundgarden wrote:

Stranded Whale 2U
Creature - Whale (C)
Defender
Explosive 2 (If this creature dies, you may have it deal 2 damage to target creature or player.)

Artwork: http://namu-the-orca.deviantart.com/art/Despedida-Vaquita-Goodbye-Vaquita-470879101

Add some flavor text from Reno 911! Miami - and you're golden. Cool

"You blew u-you blew up a whale?!?!?"
wolfman2nast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My keyword entry is 'Turnabout.' It exiles a spell you've cast in order to reduce the costs of the spell with Turnabout.

Consort with Demons 1BB

Sorcery C

Choose one - Return two creature cards from your graveyard to your hand, or target player discards two cards.

Turnabout- 1B (You may exile a spell you control that shares a type with this card to cast it for it's Turnabout costs.)

For every word of wisdom, a thousand lies.

Sorry, couldn't make up my mind between the two so I'm posting both : D

Goblin Ambush Squad 3R

Creature- Goblin C

Haste

Turnabout- R (You may exile a spell you control that shares a type with this card to cast it for it's Turnabout costs.)

3/3
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time to judge?
saurgoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain Empath B

Creature - Human [Common]

Fury 1 (If you have lost life this turn, this creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.)

1/1
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onto the fun part: (just in case I haven't mentioned it yet: The clan names suck!)

xxapathyxx
Congratulations you made the prowl mechanic again. Is it the twist to expand the mechanic to allies? If so I have to tell you, that prowl works with any creature type already.
But let us look at the card in itself.
We have a Oreskos Swiftblade in red. While red isn't supposed to get such efficient creatures, I can let that particular example sligh.
But there is more and this is where you leave common ground. Your card is way too complex for a black edition symbol.
Especially since it involves free spells.

The card is pretty clean and works within the rules, but you have not made a twist to an old mechanic and failed to deliver a common.

Stucco - Back Room Deal

I dig this. Does global sacrifice belong at common? I am not sure. The card does nothing no one understands, but some might ask themselves: "Why should I play this?"
The mechanic is pretty good. Maybe you put it onto a one way spell. Especially one with a target so the reminder text doesn't confuse newer players.
Your card is perfectly fine, color, cost, mechanic etc.
But it isn't a common. See Barter in Blood.
No big deal, real good submission.

Bejeezus - Mardu War Drums

Another old mechanic without any twist. I agree that frenzy is THE mechanic for *shudder* mardu *throws up*.
Such anthems have not been common since ever. I do not see why this should be. Since frenzy stacks multiple of these in limited would just go stupid nuts. Combined with the haste your opponent would have to keep blockers back at all times. Which means his attacks get way worse. And yours don't get that much better with the enchantment, since if there are blockers frenzy happens less often. Lose-lose-situation.

ShamedShadow - Sultai Initiate

Exploit is sweet. A bit bumpy reminder, but nothing that can't be fixed. Maybe you go for Exploit X so you can vary the impact of the mechanic. Your example would be exploit 2.
The clan you have chosen stands for resource management. Exploit well.... exploits that concept perfectly.
In addition to that your card is a 3 colored grey ogre, so nothing overpowered. Maybe a 2/3 would have even been fine.
Great submission, will be tough to beat, lets see if someone did.

IvanDano - Mardu Halberd Barbarians

Wonky card name. Just saying, this sounds weird.
4/3 Haste for WBR is fine, the drawback is already confirmed to be on at least one card of that clan so it is also perfectly legit. Good choice of stats.
That leaves us your mechanic, which i nickname manalink. It offers a window to run away with the game. Once you connect with a manalink dude, you throw down another. Which will next turn pressure the opponent's defenses as well. This can lead to pretty spectacular and onesided matches. It is very hard to outlast such a deck, since every card is a piledriver for anything. Sounds rather dangerous to me.
While I can't come up with some horror scenario right away, I err on the side of safety.

iSperia - Frost Grasp

From the first pictures there is a certain snow-feeling in the air. This already known "do something as often as you have a snowthing" has the problem, that you get quiet a lot of them for quasi free as lands. See Skred.
Your card costs 4, but just imagine this with snowlands in limited. 2UU instant tap 6 target permanent? That would be insane.
The effect is not too complex, but can win games on its own. It breaks board stalls singlehandedly.
It is barely a common, with a very minor twist and too powerful.

sc4rs - Hired Thugs

Sunburst on a colored card. Not bad.
Especially since you had to limit the colorless part of the cost to 2. If you did that on purpose well thought through.
A cost of 3+ would invite players to use mana outside the clan in question.
Maybe some confusion with intimidate could come up, like "I payed white for this, can white creatures block it now?" but that is trivial.
A potential 4/4 Intimidate for 4 in common is concerning at best.
1/1 base and the card is fine.

derflippi - Explosive Sliver

1. What does a sliver do on Tarkir?
2. Why does this one not grant its ability to all other slivers?

I have a hard type answering these, so until I do, this won't win.

Canabiest - Pillaged Provisions

That mechanic does work quiet weird. It makes you think that you can carry mana into the next turn and use it. Which you can't.
It keeps the mana in your pool this turn, but mentions the next.
Anyways. Your mechanic does not convey the savagery this clan stands for. RUG is a great choice for rituals, but the spell shown doesn't get you ahead. So it is a toy for storm and that is it. I would not associate storm with a war clan that acts with raw strengh.

Dr_Moo - Sylvan Archer

Yeah you can reclaim one mana off the spell and thin your deck? Pretty neat. But not obvious to everyone. Hard to sell that as awesome new stuff. I like it, would marketing do?
Also think about the amount of additional shuffling for such marginal gain. In a world where shuffling is cut back to the bare minimum, this version of tiller will not see print.
The intention is great. The card is clearly a common. But it needs work. Maybe you go with a reveal from top solution...

Thelemys - Abzan's Benevolent

Selfless Cathar keyworded and without activation cost. Not a fan.
The cathar has been decent in both of its limited environments. The fact that you chose to use numbers means there will be bigger versions than 1. And that is scary at best. Instant thrat of activation overwhelm? For zero?
Sure you see it coming if they don't use it right away.
If it would just boost toughness it would mirror its clan's philosophy better. It would not be appealing in context of Khans, but did I mention Doran?
This is bonkers, not the actual card in question but what the mechanic would do on bigger versions of itself.

Canabiest - Invoke Prejudice

[s]Please put a plain text version in your entries in addition to pictures. Thank you.
Also what Thelemys said. This is never a common. Also I don't see a mechanic that I would want to play if I can reasonably foresee to use 3 colors on my permanents. [/s]

yeah, yeah I am dumb...

DuckyNinja - Borrowed Strength

Infect is a thing. This won't make it weaker.
Interesting is that you left yourself open to bigger numbers. Which will become pretty taxing pretty fast. What does a Lend 3 card have to do to be played for that alternate cost?
Your card is good. The question is how many more lend themselves to be made and are appealing?

shadowist - Abzan Vanguard

A fixed persist/undying
The toughness 1 clause seems out of place and useless rules baggage. A 2/2 for WW with a second life is perfectly reasonable. A bit hard to cast in a 3 color set though. Which balances it even further. Further down.
Cut the toughness thing and you are good to go.

SylentNyte - Rest In Pieces

HOLY SHIT; BROKEN!!!!!
Even if you wouldn't pair it with creatures that die on their own this is totally bananas. And you can distribute the damage? Seriously?
And you think this could be a common? For 3 mana?
Dude, get outta here... Wink

Soundgarden - Stranded Whale

Yeah funny....

wolfman2nast - Consort with Demons

Turnabout has a problem with the rules. If you have to exile a spell off the stack, you could not cast this sorcery in the first place.
This quirky mechanic sounds so downside-ish that it isnt even funny anymore. I get a mana discount for giving up an entire other spell (for which I likely will have paid mana as well.)? That is just stupid! No offense, but this does not work at all.

saurgoth - Pain Empath

Observant readers will remember that ShamedShadow is still in the lead. And this finally gives him a run for his money.
Imagine this in a suicide black shell. Supported by fetchlands in eternal formats this could be a real thing. Especially since this can also scale up. Be aware that this is really dangerous in older formats, since losing a life here and there is so easy. A fury 3 card is terrifying to think of. That and the fact that it is not all that easy to lose life at will in limited holds this card and mechanic back a bit.
I adore it for its cleanness.

Shamedshadow wins this, because his card went the extra hard rout of three colors and still manages to make an interesting highly potential mechanic that perfectly fits its clans philosophy.
saurgoth is a close second. A farer third is sc4rs.

GG everyone.

Last edited by pseudodespot on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and btw: go google invoke prejudice. This wasnt canabiests 2nd submission, it was a statement.

Greetings from perilous myr, he thanks you too.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-.-
*selffacepalm*
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Invoke Prejudice was a joke about the Klans vs. Clans thing.

I would assume my mechanic works as it is written from what I see on Upwelling and Sakura-Tribe Springcaller for example.
Notice that it does not mention the next end step but the end of your next turn.

I agree with the savagery criticism. I had not seen the video of the panel then and just went from the colors and a vague mongolian inspired idea, for which plundering seemed to be in flavor.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought my submission would win this one - that is, unless Canabiest's won. Best trolling I've seen in years. Well done, shamedshadow.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3