Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 296 (Judged)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigged Fight
1G
Sorcery
Uncommon

Target creature you control fights another target creature.
Put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Flashback 4R

The art would show some kind of arena fighting with betting going on.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strionic Resonance - 1U
Instant (R)
Copy target triggered ability. You may chose new targets for the copy.
Flashback 1R
DuckyNinja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenge from the Grave
Sorcery
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.
Flashback BR
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to judge?
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempo Inversion
UR
Instant - Uncommon
Detain target creature you don't control.
Target creature you control gains haste and first strike until end of turn.
Flashback 2UR
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing with moving a guild effect to another color, like Wizards has done in the last few base sets with Convoke/Bloodthirst. I don't think there's anything about detain that forces it to be white (or else monoblue cards like Inaction Injunction couldn't exist.)
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to edit my entry, because of an eerie feeling that the rules won't work. I can't really point at anything specifically. It would likely be a corner case, but that is no excuse.
But then I went of doing something else and forgot about it, closing the browser altogether.
This win comes highly unexpected, there are several imho better cards to chose from.
The biggest grown is that it is unnecessarily complex compared to the design space gained. Looking at the card with some distance I do not like it anymore. A sweet sounding idea got carried away.

Do I see that right, that shamedshadow's card always exiles all lands?
If it doesn't and that nonland carries over, then it is a cmc4 quasi Planar Cleansing, with flashback?
That sounds veeery scary.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divine Reckoning was more than a little bit of inspiration for my card, which is where the "Destroy the rest." phrasing comes from. It's my understanding that the phrase, if spelled out completely, would read "Destroy all creatures not chosen in this way."

In my card's text, it would translate to "Exile all nonland permanents not chosen in this way."

Anyway, congrats to the winner, gogo next. Smile
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops forgot to post the new one, damn you pro tour! *shake fist*
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea for the flavor was that you were winning the bet on whatever outcome. But I could see making it the other way around.
poopascoopa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Who is Dr_Moo? Reply with quote

Why is he the end all, be all, final decision on create a card? Does he work for R&D at Wizards? Any time anyone creates a good, powerful card, he says it's too good and it would never get printed. How the hell does he know that? Sometimes there are just powerful cards. Ever hear of Thragtusk, Exalted Angel, Sphinx's Revelation, Lightning Bolt, Umezawa's Jitte or Tarmogoyf?

If Sphinx's Revelation was never printed and someone submitted it to create a card, the person would be told it's too powerful and it would never get printed, by Dr_Moo. Drawing X cards and gaining X life as an instant? Never gonna happen.

Same with Thragtusk. A 5/3 for five mana, only one green mana required that gains you five life and leaves a 3/3 beast if it leaves play? WAY too powerful. It would never see print.

This Dr_Moo guy should not be considered the authority on CAC because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

For a card to win CAC, it has to be borderline unplayable and that's not right. Sometimes, cards are just powerful with no drawbacks.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each judge brings in their own expectation. Which makes it interesting in a way.
poopascoopa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canabiest wrote:
Each judge brings in their own expectation. Which makes it interesting in a way.

I understand that's the expected, typical response to what I wrote. But these "judges" are not actually judges. I would know; I was a judge, under a different name about seven to eight years ago. The judge test was ridiculously simple and I even used Google to cheat on two questions I wasn't sure of.

What I'm saying is anyone can be a judge. It's not some special position that entitles you to be the final decision on whether or not a card is good. I mean, sure Dr_Moo has his opinion on cards people create, but why do people take his word as final? What makes him the authority on which cards are good? Read his replies on some of the cards that were created; he has no idea what he's talking about. If a card is powerful, it has to have some huge drawback, or "It would never see print." That's absurd and completely wrong.

Even if he was a real life judge, that still doesn't give him the power to decide which cards are good. That's what R&D is for.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judging of the CAC doesn't have anything to do with judge tests. You win one CAC and then you can judge the next one by whatever standards and in whatever detail you like.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3