Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 292 - Freedom (JUDGED)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: CAC 292 - Freedom (JUDGED) Reply with quote

Make a card that costs 0, or a card that has an alternate casting cost that doesn't involve mana, or a card that makes other cards cost zero mana (like Rooftop Storm). Don't worry so much about fitting the rules exactly as long as you're making a cool card that involves something being cast for free (that isn't just a spell with Cascade.)

Last edited by sc4rs on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrumming Rats 2B

Creature - Rat [U]

A deck can have any number of cards named Thrumming Rats.

Ripple 2. (When you cast this spell, you may reveal the top two cards of your library. You may cast any revealed cards with the same name as this spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)

1/1
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindshaper
1UU - Rare
Creature - Vedalken Wizard
XX,T: Reveal the top card of your library. You may cast that card without paying it’s mana cost if it has a converted mana cost of X.
“Reality exists in the mind, and nowhere else.” - George Orwell
1/2
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dragon's Motherhood 2RRR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Dragon
Dragon spells cost RRR less to cast.
When a Dragon enters the battlefield, you may return Dragon Motherhood from your graveyard to the battlefield attached to that creature.
art http://nestordominguez.com/

A card that may be played for free from your graveyard and that could give you free dragons is all I dreamed!

Last edited by Thelemys on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:14 am; edited 4 times in total
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fauna Hatcher 2G

Creature - Elemental (common!)

When ~ enters the battlefield put a 0/1 green Plant creature token onto the battlefield.

Evoke 0

1/4
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prismatic Engine - (5)
Artifact (mythic)
Spells cost WUBRG less to cast (this affects only colored mana)
All you need is already here
kendiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezzeret's Bargain

3BB

Sorcery

You get an emblem with "Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast. At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life."

Storm
Canabiest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneering Charity
Conspiracy
Rare

(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)

At the beginning of your first upkeep, each opponent exiles a nonland card they drafted. When you would draw a card, you may cast one of those cards from exile without paying it's mana cost instead.
DuckyNinja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullheart, Minotaur Primal (no CMC)
Legendary Creature - Minotaur God
Whenever a Minotaur enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five or more Minotaurs, you may put Bullheart, Minotaur Primal onto the battlefield from exile.
Indestructible, Trample
When Bullheart enters the battlefield, it deals eight damage to each opponent and each creature your opponents control.
If Bullheart would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
8/5
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Wish Reply with quote

Gloating Wish (0) - Rare
Socery

As an additional cost to cast Gloating Wish, discard your hand. You may choose a card you own from outside the game, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Exile Gloating Wish

Real power comes through real sacrifice.

Last edited by kamphgruppe on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging tomorrow night.
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since you stated rules can be neglected a little bit, here's a funny little Commander I came up with:

Fblthp the Lost 0
Legendary Creature . Fblthp (rare)
(Fblthp is green and blue.)
If Fblthp would leave the battlefield, choose a player at random. Put Fblthp either on top of the library, onto the battlefield, to the hand or to the command zone (chosen at random) of that player.
0/1

EDIT: In case you don't remember Fblthp, check out:
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Fblthp
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Totally+Lost
http://magiccards.info/query?q=provoke&v=card&s=cname
Strid3r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permit 0

Instant - Common

Permit is blue.

Counter target blue instant spell unless its controller pays 2.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurgoth wrote:
Thrumming Rats 2B

Creature - Rat [U]

A deck can have any number of cards named Thrumming Rats.

Ripple 2. (When you cast this spell, you may reveal the top two cards of your library. You may cast any revealed cards with the same name as this spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)

1/1

Combining Thrumming Stone and Relentless Rats is a pasttime known to many, and this card has some of the same deckbuilding excitement. That said, it's far too weak - not only do you have the issue of only needing to hit two Swamps instead of four increasing the odds of losing your combo, but you also need to hit something like seven or eight times in a row just to get a reasonable number of 1/1s, which doesn't even win you the game outright - not to mention the blowout against Curse of Death's Hold or Gatecrash Jace. I think this could have been more interesting if you had tried to take it a unique direction rather than just mashing up the two cards and calling it a day.

Bairdsy wrote:

Mindshaper
1UU - Rare
Creature - Vedalken Wizard
XX,T: Reveal the top card of your library. You may cast that card without paying it’s mana cost if it has a converted mana cost of X.
“Reality exists in the mind, and nowhere else.” - George Orwell
1/2

This doesn't cast anything for free except maybe Ancestral Visions - it just casts things for twice their mana cost. It's probably balanced conditional card draw, but I think that it's too far from the challenge I proposed.

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Dragon's Motherhood 2RRR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Dragon
Dragon spells cost RRR less to cast.
When a Dragon enters the battlefield, you may return Dragon Motherhood from your graveyard to the battlefield attached to that creature.
art http://nestordominguez.com/

A card that may be played for free from your graveyard and that could give you free dragons is all I dreamed!

I really like the idea here - I think that there is a ton of potential in an aura that reduces the casting cost of a creature type that typically has lots of expensive members, like Dragons or Giants. Unfortunately, this one has the issue of not actually making that many Dragons free! If you look at how costing BR less affects Minotaurs with Ragemonger, you'll realize that the only Dragon that this makes cost 0 is Slumbering Dragon - not a great hit rate, especially since that only costs R to begin with. I think the card is pretty great but overall, again, not hitting the challenge closely enough for my taste.

Stucco wrote:
Voice of Gaea....................GG
Creature - Elf Druid.............U

You may exile a forest card from your hand rather than pay Voice of Gaea's mana cost.

Haste

T: Add G to your mana pool.

Gaea does not hesitate to bless the meek and the mighty alike.

1/1

This aligns very closely to Mox Diamond, except it is much more fragile and only adds G to your mana pool, plus the land discard is much more specific. I think that this is therefore pretty fair, though haste is completely out of flavor in green (though I get why you added it from a mechanical/development standpoint.) I think if they ever printed a fixed Mox Diamond, it might look something like this. Nice work.

pseudodespot wrote:
Fauna Hatcher 2G

Creature - Elemental (common!)

When ~ enters the battlefield put a 0/1 green Plant creature token onto the battlefield.

Evoke 0

1/4

This is a pretty good common design if Evoke were a mechanic in the next Zendikar block. Gets across the flavor pretty well, and though I might prefer it to make an Eldrazi Spawn, it would have to be completely reflavored (though probably not rebalanced - it seems underpowered as-is). I do wish it was a little more obviously statted - a 1/4 seems sort of odd - maybe if it were somehow flavored as a Spider or Treefolk or something else with a typically larger toughness? Just spitballing - overall its a quite well-designed submission.

iSperia wrote:
Prismatic Engine - (5)
Artifact (mythic)
Spells cost WUBRG less to cast (this affects only colored mana)
All you need is already here

Fist of Suns, meet Prismatic Engine.
Prismatic Engine, meet Fist of Suns.
Both of you, meet Omniscience.

Cute comboes aside, I think this does too much - in a Storm deck, this makes all U cantrips free, which for 5 mana is already a ridiculous effect. This would end up being too degenerate and banned probably in every format it was printed in, I think.

kendiggy wrote:
Tezzeret's Bargain

3BB

Sorcery

You get an emblem with "Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast. At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life."

Storm

Another card toeing the line of banned cards past, this one probably is a little more printable due to you needing to cast one or two spells to make this the best it could be. That said, this again has the problem of being pretty degenerate in the right deck, in this case Eggs. This for one or two would basically end the game, not to mention that these not having any drawback the turn that they are cast would lead to easy Epic Experiment chains into combo wins. I think ultimately this, too, would see the banhammer if it ever were printed. I assume this is rare or mythic.

Dr_Moo wrote:
Mirror Trap - 2U (Uncommon)
Instant - Trap

If an opponent controls a spell that targets a creature you control, you pay 0 instead of paying Mirror Trap's mana cost.

Counter target noncreature spell.

"Nice try." - Kira, Great Glass-Spinner

This is a great uncommon design. A slightly-more-expensive Negate that gets to protect your creatures for free when you're tapped out seems like great utility, and the complexity bumps it up to uncommon. The flavor text attribution and name go together really well, though "Nice try" is a little too generic-counterspell-flavor-text, especially for a crazy jellyfish thing. That's a very small nitpick of a great card, however.

Canabiest wrote:
Sneering Charity
Conspiracy
Rare

(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)

At the beginning of your first upkeep, each opponent exiles a nonland card they drafted. When you would draw a card, you may cast one of those cards from exile without paying it's mana cost instead.

This seems like it could be really, really fun and interesting. Do I skip my draw to play a stupid 1/1? How much value can I get?

The issue, however, is that there are enough conditional spells in Magic that I think this will close to always do nothing. Imagine your opponent exiling a counterspell, for example.

On top of that, this doesn't spell out how the exiling works. If it's a card at random, how will you do that with some cards being in your deck? If it's by choice, can you search your deck for a card? If not, what if you have the Conspiracy that means you play all the cards that you drafted? I think there are logistical hurdles that make this, though fun in theory, unprintable.

DuckyNinja wrote:
Bullheart, Minotaur Primal (no CMC)
Legendary Creature - Minotaur God
Whenever a Minotaur enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five or more Minotaurs, you may put Bullheart, Minotaur Primal onto the battlefield from exile.
Indestructible, Trample
When Bullheart enters the battlefield, it deals eight damage to each opponent and each creature your opponents control.
If Bullheart would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
8/5

How do you get this into exile to get it cast in the first place? Aside from that, there's just so much going on here - blasting everything for 8 damage basically makes this an auto-win when you hit five Minotaurs (which, if you get to that point, I suspect you'd be close to winning or winning already anyway), so the stats and indestructible/trample hardly matter that much. This also, as worded, triggers off itself, which creates an infinite, game-ending loop with Food Chain. This needs to be cleaned up and made a little less of a weird Timmy/Johnny hybrid - Timmy will look at this and not be able to figure out how to exile it and make it work in his Minotaur deck, and Johnny won't like being told he has to play a zillion Minotaurs alongside his weird exile-my-own-cards engine.

kamphgruppe wrote:
Gloating Wish (0) - Rare
Socery

As an additional cost to cast Gloating Wish, discard your hand. You may choose a card you own from outside the game, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Exile Gloating Wish

Real power comes through real sacrifice.

Discarding your hand, as seen with Lion's Eye Diamond, is rarely a drawback with a deck that cares about this effect. Emptying your hand all the way or almost all the way is not that hard to do - and on top of that, there already exists a tutor that cares about your hand being empty; Infernal Tutor, which still costs 1B, and only searches your library (which generally speaking is much weaker than searching your sideboard since you have to be able to naturally draw the card). This is way overpowered in any deck along the lines of Storm or Ad Nauseum.

khara wrote:
let it go 3UU
sorcery - uncommon

If you have played your 4th spell this turn, you may pay 0 rather than pay [cardname]'s mana cost.

draw 3 cards.

"my power flurries through the air into the ground"

I suspect there is a Frozen reference in the card name/flavor text that I'm not getting, but "Let It Go" sounds much more like a discard or Brainstorm-type effect than straight card draw. That said, I think this is costed pretty appropriately, and the carrot of playing a bunch of spells for this is great. I think this would be a lot more printable, again, if it didn't enable Storm so well (I wonder why Storm cards are so often banned...? Razz ). Maybe if it only worked if this was EXACTLY your fifth spell? That would be basically the same as it currently is in any fair deck (except not being able to chain them into one another), and would keep it from being degenerate in Storm. Just a thought. A pretty good card anyway, I think.

Soundgarden wrote:
So since you stated rules can be neglected a little bit, here's a funny little Commander I came up with:

Fblthp the Lost 0
Legendary Creature . Fblthp (rare)
(Fblthp is green and blue.)
If Fblthp would leave the battlefield, choose a player at random. Put Fblthp either on top of the library, onto the battlefield, to the hand or to the command zone (chosen at random) of that player.
0/1

EDIT: In case you don't remember Fblthp, check out:
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Fblthp
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Totally+Lost
http://magiccards.info/query?q=provoke&v=card&s=cname

I love Fblthp, as well as the idea of a 0 mana commander and what a deck that cares about that might look like. That said, the abilities are time-consuming and sort of hard to do. You need to choose a player at random, which requires an N-sided die for the number of players that are playing, then you need to roll a separate 4-sided die to figure out where it's going. Plus, how does a commander going to another player's command zone work with the commander rule? Total number of casts, or number of times you've cast it? How do you keep track of that? This seems like a card that needs a different way of being "lost" than literally being able to end up in your opponent's decks/command zones. I do like the humor inherent in it though for a very troll-y commander deck!

Strid3r wrote:
Permit 0

Instant - Common

Permit is blue.

Counter target blue instant spell unless its controller pays 2.

The counter-counterspell of counter-counterspelliness!

I think common is the wrong rarity for a card that costs 0 and is so narrow - there's a reason Dark Betrayal and its ilk were all uncommon. Generally speaking, a new player will think this is super narrow and never want to play it, but it'd be a good addition ("good" depending on your point of view on Force of Will and the health of the metagame, I guess) to sideboards in the Legacy format. I'm not sure how I feel about all decks getting to hose Force of Will equally well, or why this is blue other than it needing to be blue because counterspells-are-always-blue. I think that this needs a smarter casting cost (or non-casting-cost) than just 0 and blue-by-fiat.

---

The winner and clear champion of this CAC is Dr_Moo with Mirror Trap. Congrats!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed cards they drafted and that aren't in their decks. I decided to worded it as clean as possible, going with you in not fitting the rules exactly.

I could have worded it.

At the beginning of your first upkeep, each opponent chooses exiles a card they own that they drafted from outside the game. When you would draw a card, you may cast one of those cards from exile without paying it's mana cost instead.

But that looks clunkier. I didn't even think about the possibility of someone thinking that the cards could come from the deck. The design was supposed to get them from outside the game and the player playing every card just wouldn't give you one.
Counterspells of course would then work if you managed to draw at instant speed.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2