Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 290 - Judged

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isperia - Necropolis Kavu

Kavus are not Beasts. Also I would go for Zombie over skeleton. The later has a history of repetitive returns from the graveyard in recent magic past. Zombies are more the oneway undead.

Trample and deathtouch on the same dude is obviously powerful. I wish wizards would risk a card like yours.
You successfully showed us a chinese menu creature. It fits your colors perfectly.
But it isn't a mythic, sorry. No splashiness to a 4/4 for 4 with some abilities. That is a classic rare.

Bairdsy - Strands of Madness

Urg, no artist reference Sad
And broken beyond reason. Holy [censored]
If it had the source an opponent controls clause then it would be fine, maybe even too expensive.

Canabiest - Vampiric Woods

Colors and the first creature type match. Treefolks aren't entire woods though and can't be vampires. A blood sucking tree? Seriously? Just because of the lifelink?

Defender is very fitting, but why 3 abilities to lose it? Especially when trample and intimidate are almost redundant. Not to mention, that intimidate on a 3 colored dude kinda sucks.
I'd put all 3 activations into 1 ability and switch intimidate for vigilance.

Same issue with the rarity. Just because it is big and has lots of redundant text, doesn't mean it is a mythic.
As a cmc 6 that binds mana to attack we could almost talk about an uncommon if its stats are lower than 6/8.

I like the idea of a dark leeching tree, that wants you dead. The execution has some flaws.

sc4rs - Balance of Elements

Interesting.
Red being interested in balance. I don't know, but I guess you kind of have to put it in there for fire being present.
Maybe calling it some kind of anvil instead.

I presume the artifact enchantment combo is also used by you to show the divine origin of your card.
Otherwise I would not know why it needs both.

Lets look at the effect. It is likely that it makes a Beast right away. The other two will come the turns thereafter. It is also unlikely that you will get all three every turn, while it is also unlikely that you won't get any. (Your only card being a counterspell and your opp not casting anything for example.)
Also you don't get anything other than Drakes outside of your turn or rare corner cases.
As it being pure upside and rarely dead, I think it is one mana too cheap. But the rarity fits this time.

Btw. there is no need to write "spell" into the effect. You can't cast anything other than spells. And it would have been a lot nicer if it made elementals each time.

Thelemys - Mimesis

Wow, other than a danger this could be too cheap or abused by combo I adore the card. Simple and almost limitless possibilities. Also it looks like a lot of fun.
Spark elemental looks stupid with this. Hmmm....
Also you might want to limit this to non-legendary dudes. Otherwise this is a mass edict, which you probably didn't intend it to be.
Arg even in this short amount of time I can come up with problems already. Damn it!
Who knows what ridiculous ways to abuse this are really out there. But they would be looked for.

Stucco - Influence

Wow, yes that is a second wow-card in a row.
I agree the incarnations would now be mythic. Colors are also perfect fit.
The haste is really mean on this, you can get paranoid it can virtually strike at any time.
Let's face it, once you connect with it the game is quasi over. You inflicted 5 damage and took their best option against you. Which is actually good and bad. Good that your victim wouldn't have to suffer for long, and bad because of just that.
The idea and intention behind the card are great. Would this lead to fun games, maybe? I'd get rid of the haste. Or you could tie the duration of the effect to having control of influence.
Which would make it even more flavorful than it already is and more importantly give your opponent an realistic out for their misery.

Bejeezus - ∆ther Exhumation

I admit Memory Plunder did not see any amount of relevant play. But going so far as to shave off a mana and let it target anything is likely to go too far.
The effect is nothing new, just a lot more efficient. Which is fine but also not that exiting.

saurgoth - Consuming Chant

Wow that is an overrun on steroids.
Yes you can only use it once a turn, yes you don't draw cards, who cares, the game ends the turn you stick this on any reasonably developed board. A single Spectral Procession nukes them for 18!

You will never want to put this thing out there in advance obviously. So it will always come as a surprise. And end the game. So you can make it a sorcery anyway.

The best feat of this card is its hellbent clause. That I like. But it won't ever come up.

In addition to all of that there is no reason for this to be an legendary artifact.

BIRDYYY - Akroma, Angel of Fire

Akrome at cmc5. And with all these abilities? Seriously?
FYI: Trolls are GB

Balaviaris - Misguided Passage

While I get where this comes from, why exiling face down? They reveal their library anyways. And you can look at them any time. So all this does is make them forget what you picked. Maybe.
Oh wait you are allowed to take notes.
I read this as an attempt to slavishly mirror this card's origin. You can't put the cards in hand, so you had to hide them somehow. But do you really think you need to go into THAT much detail?

While it is obvious that this card is not your idea, you did great in deriving it from Guided Passage.

The chances that you can't cast the spells you find is there, but since you are already 3 colors not that great. Especially if you get some rainbow lands in the deck.

Dr_Moo - Intet's Charm

A logical conclusion to go for the PC dragon's charms. This is the first charm that could do the same thing in two modes one with the draw a card upside attached. In certain situations the thrid mode is strictly better than the first. That alone make the card a fail imho in the sense that it undermines the very purpose of charms.
I read your first two modes and I was in love. The third was a very bitter divorce.

Jacois - Fungus Amungus

Is this clever of unnecessary design? I don't know.
It is a sunburst card that not only is limited to 3 colors but also to the amount of mana you spend on it.

I dig the cleverness but sunburst belongs imho on 5 color cards. Which would in turn fail this challenge. Fungi also don't need sunlight, which undermines the flavor.

The fact that it is in any mode an undercosted beater tasted sour as well. And yes, a "Fungus" should be a fungus.

Soundgarden - Niv-Mizzetís chastened Offspring

Legends need a name for [censored] sake.
I can get behind your reasoning. But seriously, Niv would a) never allow an offspring to be as powerful as him, and b) never chasten it. If it gets too powerful it just dies.

Your attempt on cutting the combo worked. Aside from that this just feels like a holiday in magical christmas land. card design along the lines "I want this and this and this..." rarely lead to good design. Zero is pretty rare.

I would give the win to thelemys despite the oddities his card can create.

Honestly, aside from the 3 and 1/3 fails, all cards are really good submissions. It was hard to choose a winner from among them.

Thank you all very much for reading and go make some more magic.
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demand judging criteria for the next CaC.

It looked as if color theme / color abilities mattered most.
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
You're complaining about these? You may not agree, but he took the time to give thoughtful responses. That alone is awesome...

No, no, I just wanted to state that I'd like to have judging criteria posted in advance in the next one.
That was a very good judging!!
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain.

Colors did not! matter the most but they were as always a significant criteria. That being said with 3 colors there is a higher likelihood to mess up. So I have to look in more detail into it.

Making a beast mono green is no challenge, so you could check on that at a fast glance. And since it is so obvious to tell whether a green beast is ok with the colorpie or not, I often don't think it is worth mentioning. If you understand what I mean.

Color always matters in my judgments. Most of the times getting the right colors is so easy that I rather not bore you by repeating myself.

I hope this clears things up.
The correct colors should matter in any contest. And so far I haven't seen one where they didn't.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the win
I noticed the legend effect and it's part of the fun of the card
first I wanted to do it for one player only but this way it's lot of impact on the game

I post the next CAC now
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:

If it had the source an opponent controls clause then it would be fine, maybe even too expensive.

Apologies on the artist reference. I'm normally pretty good with remembering to include it.

As for broken beyond reason - its pushing the boundaries I'll agree but considering you still have to pay to cast the stuff its not "beyond reason".[/quote]
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:

Apologies on the artist reference. I'm normally pretty good with remembering to include it.

As for broken beyond reason - its pushing the boundaries I'll agree but considering you still have to pay to cast the stuff its not "beyond reason".
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2