Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 289 - Colorful - JUDGED

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: CAC 289 - Colorful - JUDGED Reply with quote

Make a monocolored card that that has two or more activated/triggered abilities/modes/kicker costs/whatever that cost other colors of mana.

Last edited by sc4rs on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naya Explorer W

Creature - Human Soldier UC

Kicker R and/or G

Naya Explorer enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and has trample if it was kicked with G.
Naya Explorer enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and has first strike if it was kicked with R.

1/1
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacophony

Instant - Rare

Cacophony is black.

Each opponent discards two cards.

Cycling 1U.

Madness 1R.

Ashiok's experiment went better than Ashiok expected.
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Dominant - 3W
Creature - Human Warrior (rare)
Lifelink
2(r/g): Sun Dominant gets +2/+2 and gains trample unill the end of turn
2(u/b): Sun Dominant gets +2/+2 and gains flying untill the end of turn
4/4
shadowist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rakdosian Merc Dagger 1B

Creature - Viashiano Mercenary (U)

~ can't block.

R: ~ gets +1/+0 until the end of turn.

RR: ~ gets first strike until end of turn.

3/1
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genden Kovalek, Bounty Hunter 2WW

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (rare)

Vigilance

U, T: Look at target face down card or target player's hand.
B, T: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
R, T: Target creature gains first strike until end of turn.

3/3
Apprehension is the sum of one's skill, information and your client's wallet.

Last edited by pseudodespot on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbling Ooze 1GG

Creature - Ooze [U]

Kicker 1RR

Echo 1BB

When Bubbling Ooze enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, it loses Echo.

7/7
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potenter - 3U
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Potenter has protection from its colors
G: Potenter becomes green and loses all other colors.
R: Potenter becomes red and loses all other colors.
Never himself again.
3/2
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thespian Construct | 5

Artifact Creature - Construct (U)

W: Gains Vigilance until end of turn.
U: Gains Flying until end of turn.
B: Gains Deathtouch until end of turn.
R: Gains First Strike until end of turn.
G: Gains Trample until end of turn.

3/3
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skystorm 2W
Creature - Spirit
Kicker R
When Skystorm enters the battlefield, if its kicker cost was paid, Skystorm deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
1U: Return Skystorm to its owner's hand.
2/1
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purest Conviction WW
Legendary Enchantment - Rare
Prevent all combat damage.
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player puts a 1/1 green and white Lion token into play.
Cumulative Upkeep: G
RR, sacrifice Purest Conviction: Purest Conviction deals 3 damage to each creature.

Artwork credits go to RavensLane
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Trust-351313311
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Picoso, Hunter of Raimbows
Legendary Creature - Human R
As long as Picoso, Hunter of Rainbows is on the Battlefield, you may pay G, U or W to add U or W to your mana pool.
As long as Picoso, Hunter of Rainbows is in your graveyard, you may pay G, B or R to add B or R to your mana pool.

art:http://jenmundy.com/
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wrote:
Naya Explorer W

Creature - Human Soldier UC

Kicker R and/or G

Naya Explorer enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and has trample if it was kicked with G.
Naya Explorer enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and has first strike if it was kicked with R.

1/1

This guy is very solid. He costs right where you expect for each of the iterations (though obviously is very underpowered if you're not red or green) and ends up being a pretty cool jack in the box creature that lets you get something smaller if you're out one of your splash colors. I would love to see a cycle of these through the 5 shards. Definitely along the lines I was thinking of for this challenge. Great start.

Balaviaris wrote:
Cacophony

Instant - Rare

Cacophony is black.

Each opponent discards two cards.

Cycling 1U.

Madness 1R.

Ashiok's experiment went better than Ashiok expected.

A card that you can't cast outright tends to be allowed to be a little better than it would otherwise. That said, the red in this makes little to no sense to me, and the card is almost exactly the same as:

2UR
Instant
Can't be countered
Each opponent discards two cards. Draw a card

which obviously wouldn't make sense to print, as the first ability is clearly black. I think this card would have been fine as a UB card that had Cycling 1U and Madness 1B for another challenge, but for this challenge and Magic design in general the "this is black" line does nothing but add flavor to a card that skews the color pie in a way that I'm not comfortable with. The flavor is a home run, but the card itself just isn't red at all.

iSperia wrote:
Sun Dominant - 3W
Creature - Human Warrior (rare)
Lifelink
2(r/g): Sun Dominant gets +2/+2 and gains trample unill the end of turn
2(u/b): Sun Dominant gets +2/+2 and gains flying untill the end of turn
4/4

This guy is, very aggressively costed; it would be an extremely format-warping Limited card for sure. The only way it doesn't have a pump ability is if you're in mono-white (which doesn't really get 4/4s for 4 either, especially not 4/4 french vanillas for 4), so this guy is always going to be a ridiculous bargain that gains you tons of life. The flying ability is particularly egregious as it makes this basically a baby Baneslayer. This card needed to either cost 5 (especially 3WW would have been good to put it more solidly in a "you need to be playing base white for this guy" rather than an easy splash in any other color), be smaller than a 4/4, or have been a mythic rare in my opinion. Flavorwise it's kind of boring - I get the general gist of how the card is using the other colors and thus white is "dominant" - but I think that there could have been a more poignant story here.

Stucco wrote:
Library of Knowledge and Power...UU
Enchantment.............................R

1B: Draw a card and lose 1 life. Activate this ability no more than twice each turn.

1W: Put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield and gain 1 life. Activate this ability no more than twice each turn.

There is more to this library than meets the eye.

This has gone from one of my least favorite entries to one of my favorites with your edits. Before, it was an absurdly broken gold enchantment that came down early and just gave you ridiculous card advantage until your opponent was buried. Now, it's much more reasonable - to get the full card advantage effect, you need to be solidly in Esper with a lot of duals, making this potentially balanced but good across all three formats, which is particularly hard to do. The abilities now also synergize in that the white ability offsets the black ability's downside, which is also great - getting two 1/1s and drawing 2 cards is exactly what a controlling Esper list wants to do. The only qualm I have with this card is the ability to do all of this at instant speed. I would rather have had the restriction be "no more than once each turn" - this would mean that you could still activate the abilities twice per round (once on your turn, once on your opponent's), which seems much more reasonable to me. I'm not sure the flavor text is true, based on the name. It seems like it's a library of knowledge and power to me! Very Happy

shadowist wrote:
Rakdosian Merc Dagger 1B

Creature - Viashiano Mercenary (U)

~ can't block.

R: ~ gets +1/+0 until the end of turn.

RR: ~ gets first strike until end of turn.

3/1

This guy is pretty well balanced and fits in well with Rakdos as a guild with its extreme offense, no defense positioning. I think it's borderline fitting the challenge, because I didn't specifically say the abilities had to both be different colors from each other, but it's fine. The creature type tells the story that the name tells, so I think the name could use to be a little better/more evocative. Solid but not super exciting.

pseudodespot wrote:
Genden Kovalek, Bounty Hunter 2WW

Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (rare)

Vigilance

U, T: Look at target face down card or target player's hand.
B, T: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
R, T: Target creature gains first strike until end of turn.

3/3
Apprehension is the sum of one's skill, information and your client's wallet.

This is the way to do four-color generals, in my opinion. I love that he has the color identity of white, but uses the means of the other colors of mana to achieve his white goals. Each ability is very flavorful, especially the blue one - I love the thought of him "searching" for the suspect. The abilities being black and its allies is also very flavorful & evocative of how vigilantes are on the border between good and evil. I think the flavor text is a little wordy & could've been done better, but otherwise this card is a home run.

saurgoth wrote:
Bubbling Ooze 1GG

Creature - Ooze [U]

Kicker 1RR

Echo 1BB

When Bubbling Ooze enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, it loses Echo.

7/7

I think this could have made more sense with the colors swapped around. Getting a temporary big creature seems very red to me, so I think 1RR for a 7/7 with kicker 1GG (since Green is the color of big creatures that are permanent) and then echo 1BB (since Black can save the temporary creature from dying by deferring the payment) would have made more sense than the green and red being swapped as-is. (It also would have made a great curve from Thick Skinned Goblin in red! Twisted Evil ) I love the idea of a big fat creature that maybe doesn't stick around, though, and the costs are prohibitive enough that it generally speaking might be right sometimes to just have a 7/7 blocker for one turn. Neat submission, though the flavor is a little generic.

derflippi wrote:
Potenter - 3U
Creature - Shapeshifter (Rare)
Potenter has protection from its colors
G: Potenter becomes green and loses all other colors.
R: Potenter becomes red and loses all other colors.
Never himself again.
3/2

I love the flavor - this totally knocks it out of the park. That said, this is really, really underpowered. At rare, a 3UG 3/2 pro green or a 3UR 3/2 pro red would have everyone rolling their eyes, and the ability to switch back and forth between them if you're playing 3 colors doesn't add much upside. The ability to perhaps use other effects to get it protection from all colors has Johnny appeal, but I think this card is in that difficult spot between having the complexity of a rare but the power level of a common. Not easy to figure out how to balance those two, especially in a color like blue.

This card made me think of a really interesting clone variant though:

3UU
Creature - Shapeshifter - Rare
As this ETB, choose a creature. This enters the battlefield as a copy of the chosen creature except it has "this creature has protection from its colors"
0/0

Bejeezus wrote:
Thespian Construct | 5

Artifact Creature - Construct (U)

W: Gains Vigilance until end of turn.
U: Gains Flying until end of turn.
B: Gains Deathtouch until end of turn.
R: Gains First Strike until end of turn.
G: Gains Trample until end of turn.

3/3

This is a domain card that would see some play in limited - the ability to use something like Unknown Shores to do potentially crazy things is really interesting. I would have preferred if the red & black abilities didn't synergize so well, but I guess those are the iconic abilities so not much to do about that. I think this is a solid uncommon that, unfortunately, doesn't fit the challenge as it isn't a mono-colored card.

Weedmonkey wrote:
Skystorm 2W
Creature - Spirit
Kicker R
When Skystorm enters the battlefield, if its kicker cost was paid, Skystorm deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
1U: Return Skystorm to its owner's hand.
2/1

This guy is really sweet. Almost like Punishing Fire in its ability to repeatedly deal damage, its saving grace is its extremely weak body and need to play 3 colors to get its maximal effect. A mini FTK for 2WR isn't turning any heads by itself - nor is a 2/1 that can bounce itself in WU. The three abilities together, however, are really elegantly considered, and the one-word name ties it all together well. Why doesn't this guy have flying, though? I also don't have a rarity, which makes it hard to judge - this card is one of those very tough decisions between uncommon and rare (though it's definitely a rare IMO) so leaving the rarity off instead of deciding makes it hard to judge power level considerations.

Soundgarden wrote:

Purest Conviction WW
Legendary Enchantment - Rare
Prevent all combat damage.
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player puts a 1/1 green and white Lion token into play.
Cumulative Upkeep: G
RR, sacrifice Purest Conviction: Purest Conviction deals 3 damage to each creature.

Artwork credits go to RavensLane
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Trust-351313311

This seems far too good to me. Even in just a WG shell, the "prevent all combat damage" clause just completely shuts down decks that can't interact with enchantments, meaning a deck like Meleria Pod could just go ahead assembling its infinite combos without any difficulty beating an aggressive deck (or even Splinter Twin that relies on combat damage to win.) I think the red ability doesn't really fit with the flavor or the card - if you were playing it for the green ability, you'd be trying to combo off, but if you were playing it for the red ability, it basically would be a fog that turns into anger of the gods at their EOT. This card is a little too weird/all over the place for my taste.

Thelemys wrote:

Quote:
Picoso, Hunter of Raimbows
Legendary Creature - Human R
G
As long as Picoso, Hunter of Rainbows is on the Battlefield, you may pay G, U or W to add U or W to your mana pool.
As long as Picoso, Hunter of Rainbows is in your graveyard, you may pay G, B or R to add B or R to your mana pool.
2/1

art:http://jenmundy.com/

I think the technically correct way to word this would be:

As long as Picoso is on the battlefield, you may spend G, U, or W mana as U or W mana.
As long as Picoso is in your graveyard, you may spend G, B, or R mana as B or R mana.

That said, an aggressive 2/1 for G would see play in many decks, and the ability to incidentally mana fix is interesting. I'm not sure how this would work in Commander, but I think a 5 color deck with him as your commander might be interesting (though you'd probably never take advantage of his second ability). The abilities are very weird and hard to evaluate. What color deck do you want to play this guy in? Will you consistently be able to use him? Basically he helps you play many different CC (like WW and GG and UU) guys in the same deck, which could be helpful in certain decks I guess but isn't really a niche that exists right now. The ability is confusing & doesn't grok well - I don't know if this card is really exciting to anyone, which makes it not "bad" really, just confusing - similar to Skybind from the latest set for example, where people are just like "huh, this card is weird".

I think the best card for the challenge as posted is by far pseudodespot's Genden Kovalek, Bounty Hunter. It really took the challenge of "what would a mono-colored creature with other colors as abilities look like/feel like/do mechanically" and aced it. Great work.

Second and third places would go to Stucco and Duodax, with Weedmonkey barely missing out due to no rarity.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all: go next
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't expect this to win. Chinese menu creatures rarely appeal as innovative designs.
Thanks for noticing the intended flavor. For the clunky wording I have no defense.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2