Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 288 - Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: CAC 288 - Judged Reply with quote

shadowist wrote:
Yawgmoth's Experiment 1BB

Instant (C)

Each opponent loses 1 life

Gravestorm (When you play this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn)

It annoyed Yawgmoth to no end that every single disease that spread fast and easy weren't very deadly

Gravestorm indeed is a mechanic that could fit any rarity and good catch finding it in Future Sight. Instant is a good fit too, with the mechanic working from other player's permanents too.
The effect is small enough for common, yet it can be a game ender. But the storm count needs to get really high, which can make for awesome games.
7/10

sc4rs wrote:
Quote:
Charmed Pendant 4 (4)
Artifact

Tap, Put the top card of your library into your graveyard: For each colored mana symbol in that card's mana cost, add one mana of that color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only any time you could cast an instant. (For example, if the card's mana cost is 3UUB, you add UUB to your mana pool.)

Whipwielder
WW
Creature - Human Knight - Uncommon
First strike
Manalink - WW, Put the top card of your library into your graveyard: For each colored mana symbol in that card's mana cost, tap up to one target creature. (For example, if the card's mana cost is 3UUB, you may tap up to three target creatures.)
2/2

I imagine this effect being in a block that combines "color matters" and "graveyard matters".

Another good catch and I can see this working as a mechanic. Also describing what kind of environment you imagine helps me evaluate. I think the card you designed would be very powerful in almost any environment. Powerhouse uncommon for sure, unless 2 power is not worth much. It might be a little too high in power for my taste, but on the other hand, you can just hit lands.
I really like the concept and mechanic overall. So most of the points are for that design and not necessarily the proof of concept card.
7.5/10

iSperia wrote:
Horizontal cycle of common Grandeurs

Priest of Sun - 1W
Creature - Human Monk (common)
Grandeur - Discard another card named Priest of Sun: You gain 5 life
2/2

Priest of Frost - 1U
Creature - Vedalken Wizard (common)
Grandeur - Discard another card named Priest of Frost: tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller next untap step
2/2

Priest of Bones - 1B
Creature - Skeleton Warrior (common)
Grandeur - Discard another card named Priest of Bones: Priest of Bones gets deathtouch until the end of turn. Regenerate it.
2/2

Priest of Flame - 1R
Creature - Goblin Shaman (common)
Grandeur - Discard another card named Priest of Flame: Priest of Flame deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Priest of Forest - 1G
Creature - Elf Druid (common)
Grandeur - Discard another card named Priest of Forest: Add (G)(G) to your mana pool.
2/2

Grandeur can work, especially in single set limited. It might have some problems, like Coldsnap did or be something that happens rather seldomly. Anyways the choice of mechanic works for me. The effects are powerful for most of them. The white and green one, slightly less so.
I am however not sure if red and blue should have better than grizzly bears at common, that can become removal. So a slighty deduction of points for printability there.
Overall i am not extatic but like it.
6.5/10

[quote="Thelemys"]Mechanic: Sleepless (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may untap all sleepless permanents).

From rare cards like:

Quote:
Active Volcano

Land C
Sleepless
T: add 1 to your manapool
R, T: add RR to your manapool
The flow of the earth never stops.

I hope this works as I understand it, that each sleepless permanent helps the others to untap. It indeed has been a rare mechanic but with the added sleepless rider you make it more parasitic but maybe more fit for lower rarities. The land only benefits form multiple sleepless if you combine it with instant speed spells and abilities. It could be fun, but as a whole i am not convinced about it.
Remembering the triggers complicates the gamestate, on creatures it often could be just Vigilance until you go into multiples.
5/10

derflippi wrote:
Last Effort - U5
Instant (C)
Wizard Offering
Draw three cards.
Use your power wisely.

I like Offering and it was one of the mechanics I had in mind when starting this challenge.
The spell looks cool as a whole. Drawing cards is nice, it should be priced right with most things you sacrifice into it.
Not sure how I feel about it being Instant. On one hand it makes it easier to understand, Offering just making it cost less and ignoring the other effect. On the other hand it makes the ability work different on higher rarities or other cards presumably and the reminder text might confuse players on a card where the instant phrase isn't necessary.
7/10

Soundgarden wrote:
So here's my common cycle:

Well or whatever else you can think of in new common, uncommon and rare cards. I never understood why they limited Hideaway to 5 rare lands.
Also consider "Hideaway 2" to "Hideaway 8".

Artworks:
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/funny-hidden-animal-pics/art-of-hiding-leaf-lizard-camoflaged/
http://storieswithnobooks.com/2012/11/10/squirrel-dilemma/
http://warriorsofmyth.wikia.com/wiki/File:Faerie.jpg
http://hernandoheckler.wordpress.com/tag/dont-move-to-hernando-county/
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Spirit-334402521

I'd liked a text version of the cards too. But that is nothing I would take points away for.
I like the creature theme of disguise and hiding, good flavoring. The cards on their own are reasonable too and while they might be complicated as commons it could be where a design puts it's complexity.
The weakness of your design is in making it a cycle. The red and black do almost the same thing but with different conditions. The squirrel has a different use of hideway all together. I like both ways you use it. But maybe you should have made a decision. The whole cycle being as uneven as it is makes it more complicated and harder to understand and remember at common. So a slight deduction of points for that.
5/10

Balaviaris wrote:
My ability is from the rare Pack Rat and I named it clone.

Clone (put a token on the battlefield that's a copy of this card)

Manamoeba 1UG

Creature - Beast Uncommon

Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 4 or higher, clone Manamoeba.

1/2

Naming it clone might not be the best choice, since there allready is a card called clone that is associated with another mechanic.
Also repetetive game states like Pack Rat created are a danger. The mechanic as you did it might work though, as an uncommon like that for sure. It can make for interesting game states. But it can also lead to something that feels pretty bad for the opponent, depending on the matchup. Not sure if that is something I would go for all the time.
6/10

saurgoth wrote:
Quote:
Howline Mine, et al.

Phyrexian Sieve-Minder B

Creature - Zombie Wizard [Common]

At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.

Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.

0/2

Tolarian Sieve-Minder U

Creature - Bird Wizard [Common]

Flying

At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.

Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library: Tap or untap target nonland permanent. Any player may activate this ability.

0/1

Shivan Sieve-Minder R

Creature - Goblin Wizard [Common]

Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library: Target creature gains haste until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.

1/1

Dominarian Sieve-Minder G

Creature - Elf Wizard [Common]

Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.

1/2

Serra Sieve-Minder W

Creature - Wizard Soldier [Common]

Defender

Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library: Gain 2 life. Any player may activate this ability.

0/3

I do not think that Howling Mine reall should be common. The cycle as you did it also causes lots of memory issues with the abilities as well as the triggers. Putting cards on the bottom of the library repeatedly also is complicated to do manually. I am not a fan.
4/10

Dr_Moo wrote:
A version of Epic, minus the provision that you can't play spells for the rest of the game. There could be a cycle of Uncommons like the below with moderately powerful abilities and a cycle of Commons with relatively weak abilities (1W: Gain 1 life, U: Look at target opponent's hand, etc.)

Yearly Harvest - 4G (Uncommon)
Sorcery

Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Eternal Recurrence (At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its Eternal Recurrence ability.)

It can work, not all repeated effects are bad or broken. I would have added a "may" phrase to your card, so that when you no longer have basics in your hand you can just skip the shuffling to save time.
The rarity seems right at uncommon and the mentioned commons could exist I think.
7/10

Strid3r wrote:
Polar Bear 1U

Creature - Bear | Common

Bearness (When this creature becomes blocked, it gets +1/+1 and gains trample. Creatures blocking this creature can't be regenerated this turn. Whenever this creature deals combat damage, put a +1/+0 or a +0/+1 counter on it.)

2/2

I assume you know this card is not printable any more and you entered to troll. If you don't understand say so and I will explain.
2/10

The winner is sc4rs
Strid3r

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entered the card mainly to troll Laughing, but i still don't understand why it is not printable.

Only 10 cards lol. Including my troll card.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the seem did not inspire too many.

Well it is out of the color pie for blue. The Ability has a silly name that seems to be of an odd flavor. The card is overpowered for a blue common and neither +1/+0 and +0/+1 counters are used any more because of memory issues, which I agree with.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The research you had to do was maybe a hindrance. I could hardly think of any mechanic outside Future Sight, that was only present on rares.
Modern magic design tries to tie every theme to common, which means most mechanics will be too.

On top of that most mechanics that are restricted to rares have suffer this fate because they do not work on lower rarities.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1