Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 277: Win Condition - Judged

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strider - would be incorrect to do so.

kamphgruppe - My first and strongest reaction is that it's poorly formatted despite being edited multiple times. The sac ability is a pretty powerful effect, but the best case scenario is that this allows you to draw a bunch of cards for three mana. Nice, but not a finisher. Might be printable, but you'd need to get a bit more creative to turn that second ability into something that could actually show up on a card. 0 out of 3.

ShamedShadow - You could call this "Obzedat, Angel of Despair." It'll fall to removal at times, of course, but for my purposes I think it has enough potential to take over games in Standard and Limited. Fits better at Rare than Mythic. Vigilance and Deathtouch play very well with it's real ability. Whether you blink it or not, it plays both offense and defense, and it's always killing something either way. That's a nice subtlety to the construction. 3 out of 3.

sc4rs - Also feels like a Birthing Pod. Also should be Rare, not Mythic. This is a card you'll see when you open and pack and have a real decision to make as to whether or not to draft it. Magic has no trouble reading CMC and picking the largest, this card should be able to take a game over, and it does so in a new-ish way. 3 out of 3.

Stucco - You may have created a non-symmetric Furnace of Rath. It certainly won't win any games by itself, but there are alot of effects you could pair this with pretty nicely. 2 out of 3. (A very good 2 out of 3.)

iSperia - That is a nice burn spell. The only criticism I have is that I'd like to it suck against monocolored decks. Maybe make it cost 1 more per basic land. As is, I'd call it unprintable. But I really like it. 2 out of 3.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yajiko - lol. Starting to get silly with this one. If you have more untapped creatures than your opponent and they don't have anything that can act as a Fog, then, yes, you win the game pretty much immediately. But the idea of your Frostburn Weird morphing into a 9/9 kraken and thrashing its way past your opponents freshly-transformed-but-still-tapped enormous monsters is too goofy of an image for me to take seriously. I guess what I'm saying is it should probably untap all creatures or destroy some islands or something. Also, the flavor text doesn't make sense. (I'm not saying it doesn't fit. I'm saying it's literally nonsensical.) 2 out of 3.

BIRDYYY - Yep, that guy's powerful. I was thinking the power would be a bit more realistic if he tapped to add a divinity counter? Either way, I guess. He should definitely, however, be indestructible as long as he's divine, as well as enter the battlefield with a counter like the other Myojin. This would be a really cool critter to play with in the really slow multiplayer formats. 2 out of 3.

Mizukage - Dude. That. Is. Amazing. The crazy thing is, it's almost printable. You just made it a little too easy to cast. Three out of the four ifs are fine, but it's the second one that's broken. It's too easy to Thoughtseize yourself, fetch a dual, and use your own Wasteland on it. If it weren't broken, its presence in any Constructed format would make for some fascinating gameplay decisions. "Do I mill him down to 7 or hope to draw a Glimpse?" "He's at 4. Do I attack with my Mutavault or wait until I have a burn spell?" In other words, I love it. Sadly, though, this could only exist in Vintage. On the restricted list. Which means you need a second card that can grant you an emblem with the same text. Which could totally exist, it just doesn't. 2 out of 3.

*Winner: sc4rs.
First runner-up: Soundgarden.
Second runner-up: ShamedShadow

*Mizukage and Jacois were both really close to winning. Jacois, you made the best card by far. if you created that art yourself, you're the winner. Otherwise, DQ'ed.
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: mind tap Reply with quote

kamphgruppe - My first and strongest reaction is that it's poorly formatted despite being edited multiple times. The sac ability is a pretty powerful effect, but the best case scenario is that this allows you to draw a bunch of cards for three mana. Nice, but not a finisher. Might be printable, but you'd need to get a bit more creative to turn that second ability into something that could actually show up on a card. 0 out of 3.

First, TY for judging and your comments. I felt 0-3 was a bit harsh. Like Jitte if you don't deal with this quickly you most likely lose. Your drawing double the cards your opponent is for an investment of just 3 mana. I thought this would be great in an aggro deck. It doesn't kill you that turn but neither did jitte which you used as an example. Not sure what you meant by poorly formatted? Just trying to get better at this by sharing thoughts, a couple of my cards have been well received, but a couple have been like this one with very negative reviews.

Also another thought. I thought the name + the ability + the flavor text had real good synergy. No one every comments on that stuff just the ability of the card and how well it translates to competitive play. Are we just judging on how well the card translates to constructed play?
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea was to create a good card, not an overpowered one.
A four cc card that wins the game, that's a new Jace and I don't like this type of Cards without drawback.

With my card you take a risk, I like this. But normally a red card that can do 10 damages turn four... It closes the game.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mind tap Reply with quote

kamphgruppe wrote:
First, TY for judging and your comments. I felt 0-3 was a bit harsh. ... Not sure what you meant by poorly formatted? Just trying to ...

Also another thought. I thought the name + the ability + the flavor text had real good synergy. No one every comments on that stuff just the ability of the card and how well it translates to competitive play. Are we just judging on how well the card translates to constructed play?

I very much appreciate your positive attitude. First off, I want you to know exactly where the final score came from. I didn't just pull the 0-out-of-3 out of the air after reading and commenting; I gave one point for being a Win Condition, one for printability, and one for entertainment value. For the first point, I felt your submission wouldn't be powerful enough as a finisher because it doesn't affect the board - it just gives you (potentially alot of) extra cards. The second point was affected by the tap ability. I guess if you really wanted to print that as it is, it would have to be phrased "Whenever an opponent draws a card, if ~ is untapped, you may tap it. If you do, draw a card." The third point, then, is more opinion. I guess I didn't find card advantage (all in the hand, as opposed to affecting the board) an interesting way to finish off an opponent. That, and it didn't read well, which is what I meant by formatting. In other words, it's not phrased like a real Magic card would be. For example, the first ability: it's a keyword, so it would read "Cumulative upkeep--Exile a card from your graveyard." and the other two abilities are a bit messy as well. I'd generally think that three edits would clean those things up.

Although I can't speak for previous and future judgers, I definitely care about flavor, and it was part of scoring point 3. For example, the kraken card had an inconsistent feel to it, whereas I really loved how all of the Vindicator Angel's abilities came together beautifully.
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: feedback Reply with quote

TY for the explanation and feedback. 0-3 was warranted. Until next time Smile[/img]
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2