Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 275 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: CAC 275 Judged Reply with quote

I am a bit suprised by some of your definitions of simplicity.
Time to judge however and I am sure there will be some entries that work for me. Even if it was middle of the road mostly. Hitting the simplicity mark more often than the interest mark.
My ratings will be X/10 approximations of course with no standing scheme of grades.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
2RR - Tibalt's Last - Rare
Sorcery
Each player choses a card type. Each player sacrifices a permanent of each chosen type. (Types can be named more than once)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

The idea is something new and it seems to be costed about right, I actually like the card and would probably play decks using it. The choices indeed are complicated which is okay and it would be a skill tester I assume. Still even with the reminder text it would need some explaining in that sets FAQ and generate judge calls about how much players have to sacrifice when each chooses the same type.
So not a simple card in that way, which takes a few points of. Might be your judge perspective here that makes it appear simpler than it would be.
5/10

feamar wrote:
Endless Manipulation - Rare - U - Instant

Scry 1
Fateseal 1
Clash with an opponent, if you win, draw 2 cards

This card reads simple but imagine it with reminder text, which it would have in print. Also the order of effects is important as well as decision trees growing and growing. It could grind games to a halt.
Not a simple card. Still a cool one.
3/10

Duodax wrote:
Exhausting Studies 1UU

Sorcery - UC

Draw three cards. Skip your next draw step.

As a sorcery this seems right, especially in combo decks. You will get some judge calls just from that. But it is an interesting effect. Gives the same amount of cards as a Divination but earlier.

6/10

saurgoth wrote:
Simic Whack-A-Mole ...... 1GU

Creature - Echidna ... Uncommon

Graft 3
Persist

0/0

Momir Vig was ecstatic with the biomancer's discovery. Every member of the Combine was now getting a healthy amount of exercise.

+1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on the same creature is something wizards does not do because it is too complicated. I will go with them in this case.
The whole returning and dying and stacking abilities the right way that comes with it also distracts points.

2/10

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Chittering Specter 2BB
Creature - Specter U
Flying
When Chittering Specter enters the battlefield, each player discards two cards.
No ears, no tears.
2/1

I like the picture but it would be fair to give a source, no point deduction because of that or anything, just a reminder.
You have to time it right or dump your whole hand before. It leads to some interesting deckbuilding choices and of course decisions in play. The powerlevel, costing and flavor all work out for me too.
It also plays different in multiplayer or at least does more for it's cost, which milks more from a simple design.

7/10

Stucco wrote:
Terra-capacitor.................3
Artifact...........................U

T: Exile target land, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.

As Venser continued building his planeswalking machine, he began to notice unintended side effects.

It is a mana rock at least, but with some added bonus of protecting lands, recharging activated abilities. Annoying opponents and their man lands. I like what we get out of this and on an artifact the ability seems cooler than on a tiny flier.

7/10

Jacois wrote:

Give a source and card text so I can read it again while quoting and to show some respect to the artists.
If it would not end the game the counting turns would be needlessly complicated. As an alternate win condition this seems pretty cool. Daring the opponent to goldfish you quickly. I think it should be a mythic just for winning the game or probably cost a little more.
5/10

Bejeezus wrote:
Hedron Abomination | 8

Creature - Eldrazi (R)

Defender

Annihilator 8

10: Hedron Abomination loses defender
until end of turn.

8/8

Yeah this is somewhat simple but the simplicity is not standing out either. It is a slow card that does nor invite you to play it with other eldrazi options around. Of course for 18 mana over two turns it pretty much wins the game. So there is some merit in it. Overall mediocre I would say.
5/10

iSperia wrote:
Devoted Familiar - GG
Creature - Beast Spirit (rare)
Whenever Devoted Familiar is put into graveyard from anywhere, return it to your hand.
3/3

It should be worded "it's owner's hand" but otherwise not an uninteresting creature. It would combo with any discard outlet to a maybe broken degree. Loleth Troll and Wild Mongrel becoming turn three death sentences if not answered.
It certainly would see play, maybe too agressively costed, so that outside of combos it always is a beater too. But it is interesting and gets the most out of a short line of text. So points for that. My concern is the overall powerlevel.

6/10

sc4rs wrote:
Murderer's Bolt
R
Instant - Uncommon
Choose one - Murderer's Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature with toughness 3 or less, or Murderer's Bolt deals 3 damage to target player with 3 or less life.

That thing is pretty wordy for a simple card. But I appreciate what it does. It can lead to some very unintuitive situations. Misses the mark overall.
4/10

kamphgruppe wrote:
Life for Life - B

Instant - uncommon

As an additional cost to cast Life for Life sacrifice a creature.

Target creature gets +x +x where x is the sacrificed creatures toughness, and lifelink.

Many will die so that I can live.

Solid Fling variant that can turn a game around or at least swing a combat phase. The low cost makes it hard to anticipate and play around, which could lead to mostly. "If he has it, he has it" situations. But on the other hand the simple threat of the spell can shape the way a player attacks or blocks.
I like it overall.
7/10

shadowist wrote:
Counterattack 1RW

Instant (C)

Prevent all combat damage blocking or blocked creature would deal this turn. ~ deals damage to that creature equal to that creature's power.

It should target the creature. But it is a flavorful effect again turning a combat around and acting as a slightly less powerful Rebuke, which more or less is a simpler wording of the same thing.
I still like it for flavor reasons and the slight variance it brings.
6/10

Dr_Moo wrote:
Sage's Owl - 1U (Common)

Flying

Inspired -- When Sage's Owl becomes untapped, draw a card, then discard a card.

1/2

Nothing wrong with a looter or and ophidian, the evasion is nice on this. As Academy Raider showed this will see limited play, probably not constructed though. I like that it is the blue order or drawing and discarding. Still a powerful little bird in it's environment. Even if it can be interacted with.

7/10

pantheismftw wrote:
Crumbling Cliffs

Land - Rare

Tap: add R to your Mana Pool.
Tap, Sacrifice: Crumbling Cliffs deals 1 damage to target player. Play this ability only if an opponent was dealt damage by a creature this turn.

Lands are a good place for simple cards. The on board trick staying there and the trigger to be missed aren't the simplest lands have have ever gooten. It is almost always strictly better than a mountain of course. Still it can feel underwhelming for a rare if opened it suppose.

5.5/10

yajiko wrote:
Debone B
instant - uncommon

Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.

you may pay 3 life in addition to its casting cost. If you do, target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn instead.

"put more skins and lipids, then simmer. leave the bone to my hound!"

Modal and kicker spells aren't the simplest of cards but this one is pretty straight forward. The kicker keyword might even have helped to make this one easier to understand.
The second mode is a pretty powerful spell, the thing would see play in modern possibly at least there would be competition with dismember.
Still the right mode to choose often is pretty clear and it isn't all that intersting or simple. So middle ground again.

5/10

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Egyptian Embalming Jar 2

Artifact - Rare

When Egyptian Embalming Jar enters the battlfield you may put a creature with a converted mana cost of one or less from your hand onto the battlefield.

Sacrifice Egyptian Embalming Jar: Return a creature with a converted mana cost of one or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Entrails and more.

Good enough play test name, even if you could have made up a fictional egypt like place.
Again not all that simple, but a cool effect that can do cool things in some decks. I would like the effect to be around.

6/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Mistform Precursor 2UU

Creature - Shapeshifter (rare)

Shroud

All creatures have all creature types.

1/4

The Simic were eager to acquire this specimen, but they never managed to lay their hands on it.

The wording is simple and the effect on the game can be interesting, even if this too is one that will create some rules issues I am sure. Straight forward though and I like the use of shroud.
6.5/10

I give the win to Thelemys because he made a simple card that did something interesting to me. And since simplicity was harder to come by in this challenge than interesting stuff I will use that as my tiebreaker.
Runner up if needed: Stucco
shadowist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winner only got 7/10?
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I did the judging first and then decided on the winner. So it is not graded on a curve.
It was a pretty mediocre outcome in my eyes and if there is no perfect entry I do not give a 10/10
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there i had such a sweet flavor text Razz

GG Thelemys
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did!
But aren't the Mistform on Dominaria, while the Simic live on a different plane Wink
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the double pun. And who knows what sparks hide amongst the vast population of Ravnica? Smile
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG all and thx for the win
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Thelemys Reply with quote

Congrats Thelemys,

Nice job too judge I liked your explanations.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1