Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 274 - Art Piece (JUDGED)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: CAC 274 - Art Piece (JUDGED) Reply with quote

(art by Jericó Santander)

Create a card with this art.

Judging will probably not happen until Thursday. Sorry in advance if this round feels like it is dragging because of it.

Last edited by sc4rs on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
saurgoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monumental Chameleon .......................... 3GGG

Legendary Artifact Creature - Lizard ..... Mythic Rare

Mountainwalk
Monumental Chameleon has Hexproof as long as you control two or more Mountains.
1RR: Destroy target land, then put a +1/+1 counter on Monumental Chameleon.

6/6
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear Cub G - creature bear uncommon

At the beginning of your upkeep put a +1+1 counter on bear cub if it has no other +1+1 counters on it.

1/1.

Last edited by GreenBear on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizardspine City
Land (uncommon)
T: add (1) to your mana pool
Metalcraft - (3): Lizardspine City becomes 4/4 Artifact Lizard creature untill the end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control three or more artifacts
The convinient way for the mayor of the city to be army general the same time
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlarged Illusion 2UG

Sorcery - Rare

Put the top card of your library onto the battlefield face down. It is a
green and blue 6/6 Giant Lizard Illusion creature and has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it. "
and "When this creature dies put this card into its owner's hand."

That which is small is massive to that which is miniature.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Traveling Cameleon 5
Artifact Creature - Lizard R
When Traveling Cameleon enters the battlefield, you may search a library for a land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle that library.
4/4
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Halls of the Behemoth Reply with quote

Halls of the Behemoth
UW2 Enchantment - Uncommon

You can be attacked only by creatures with flying

The Wizards of Eldargh never found a way to make a Behemoth angry, that does not mean they are not useful.
Canabiest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diaspora Protector
Artifact Creature - Construct
Rare

Champion a land (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile a land you control. When this leaves the battlefield, that card returns to the battlefield.)

T: Put a 3/3 colorless Construct artifact creature token with champion a land onto the battlefield.

4/6
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard Spirit Guide | WUBRG

Creature - Lizard Spirit (Rare)

Exile Lizard Spirit Guide from your hand: Add to
your mana pool one mana of any type that a land
you control can produce.

Domain - Lizard Spirit Guide's power and toughness
are each equal the number of basic land types among
lands you control.

*/*
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurgoth wrote:
Monumental Chameleon .......................... 3GGG

Legendary Artifact Creature - Lizard ..... Mythic Rare

Mountainwalk
Monumental Chameleon has Hexproof as long as you control two or more Mountains.
1RR: Destroy target land, then put a +1/+1 counter on Monumental Chameleon.

6/6

I think I get the story of this one most of the way - how it's a gargantuan critter that literally walks over mountains, lives amongst them, and can crush lands just by striding over them. What I don't get is why it's mono-green, and with GGG in the casting cost to boot. It makes for a really situational card for a Mythic Rare, that I think narrows the deck it wants to be in too far. The card would have stood out as 3RRR, but as is, it's sort of confusing and impossible to splash or even play very well in limited (not that 3GGG for a 6/6 mountainwalk is terrible, but it's not really mythic rare material - see Vulpine Goliath at common.)

GreenBear wrote:
Bear Cub G - creature bear uncommon

At the beginning of your upkeep put a +1+1 counter on bear cub if it has no other +1+1 counters on it.

1/1.

Doesn't fit the art.

Stucco wrote:
Roving Iguanascape..............................8
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct...M

At the beginning of your upkeep add WUBRG to your mana pool. This mana doesn't empty as steps and phases end.

It bears the weight of a world on its shoulders.

8/8

This is super cool. If you're in the market for a gigantic artifact creature that doesn't protect itself, you want its ability to be splashy and unique. This is different enough from Platinum Emperion to attract different deckbuilding decisions, and the effect is powerful enough to see play for sure. The clever templating means that it will continue to have an effect after it dies, due to the effect being ascribed to the mana itself, which seems perhaps a little less flavorful but makes it definitively more accurate for a mythic rare's power level. The flavor text wraps it all together nicely. This is what mythic rares should look like.

pseudodespot wrote:

This is pretty cool too. Protection from colorless probably won't come into play a lot, especially since it isn't big enough to actually kill any Eldrazi and Annihilator makes you sacrifice creatures, but keeping some artifacts under check could be helpful and the ability is flavorful with what the card does. Gaining life for playing multicolored cards could make this an attractive general for Commander decks. I don't see this filling many niches outside of Commander, but this card knows its crowd and pleases them really well.

Jacois wrote:

Very subtle and understated, but definitively a different path to take the art and juuust different enough from Dryad Arbor to be very interesting. Wizards has stated that land-creatures are unlikely to come back, but if they ever wanted to compliment Dryad Arbor, perhaps in a Commander-esque format, something along these lines would be a strong bet to be how they would do it. Giving it a futureshifted card frame was a really nice touch. Great card.

iSperia wrote:
Lizardspine City
Land (uncommon)
T: add (1) to your mana pool
Metalcraft - (3): Lizardspine City becomes 4/4 Artifact Lizard creature untill the end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control three or more artifacts
The convinient way for the mayor of the city to be army general the same time

Definitely powerful enough that Affinity would at least test it. I think ultimately it's a different enough effect from other manlands to make it acceptable, especially since unlike other manlands it can be dealt with at sorcery speed (kinda) because it relies on other permanents in play. However, with artifact lands, this just becomes a super undercosted manland. Obviously that interaction only happens in the format where there's the most degenerate stuff going on, but I think this card pushes Legacy Affinity to tier 1. A solid design for the art too.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Enlarged Illusion 2UG

Sorcery - Rare

Put the top card of your library onto the battlefield face down. It is a
green and blue 6/6 Giant Lizard Illusion creature and has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it. "
and "When this creature dies put this card into its owner's hand."

That which is small is massive to that which is miniature.

This has major rules issues, as any cards that are face down on the battlefield, no matter how they got there, are 2/2 morph creatures. I get the idea, but it's trying to be too clever - you would need to exile the card and make a creature token instead. I like the idea of a Phantom creature that cantrips when it dies, but I don't know if this is the art for it, or if you don't just want to make it much simpler by being straightforward about it:

Phantom Dude
3U
Creature - Illusion
Whenever Phantom Dude is the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.
When Phantom Dude dies, draw a card.
6/6

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Traveling Cameleon 5
Artifact Creature - Lizard R
When Traveling Cameleon enters the battlefield, you may search a library for a land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle that library.
4/4

A bigger Solemn Simulacrum is an interesting place to take this art. I just don't feel very excited by this card - it feels like an uncommon, and even then it's only a roleplayer. While I appreciate the stats and that this might be a card certain decks want, I just think some of the other submissions are more exciting to me. Sorry!

kamphgruppe wrote:
Halls of the Behemoth
UW2 Enchantment - Uncommon

You can be attacked only by creatures with flying

The Wizards of Eldargh never found a way to make a Behemoth angry, that does not mean they are not useful.

Is this a Steveman alt account?

Things we don't need: A Moat reprint with a different name so Legacy players can play 8.

Canabiest wrote:
Diaspora Protector
Artifact Creature - Construct
Rare

Champion a land (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile a land you control. When this leaves the battlefield, that card returns to the battlefield.)

T: Put a 3/3 colorless Construct artifact creature token with champion a land onto the battlefield.

4/6

This card is fascinating, and super unique. Unlike the other cards that I've liked so far in this competition, which all have obvious inspiration from existing cards, I have never seen a card that uses champion this elegantly ever, including all of the ones Wizards printed. Making sacrificing lands for anything feel not-painful is incredibly difficult, but getting them back when the creature dies is a fantastic way of doing so without getting into Zendikon-level wordiness. It's got appropriate stats and can take a game over, but requires the right deck and some good deckbuilding. This is the kind of card that immediately makes me want to brew some decks up. Fantastic submission.

Bejeezus wrote:
Lizard Spirit Guide | WUBRG

Creature - Lizard Spirit (Rare)

Exile Lizard Spirit Guide from your hand: Add to
your mana pool one mana of any type that a land
you control can produce.

Domain - Lizard Spirit Guide's power and toughness
are each equal the number of basic land types among
lands you control.

*/*

Does making Simian Spirit Guide's exile ability infinitely better make it worth making an already-basically-unplayable body completely unplayable? Survey says: yes. Better than Lotus Petal in every way except storm count. Way too good.

Dr_Moo wrote:
Chimera of Myth - WUBGR (Mythic Rare)
Legendary Creature - Chimera

Sacrifice a creature: Chimera of Myth gains all abilities of the sacrificed creature. Put X +1/+1 counters in it, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.

5/5

Shouldn't this be Atog of Myth or something? I see where WUBRG comes from in this art but not the sacrifice ability. There isn't a strong enough story in the name or art to make this ability resonate for me. Definitely a commander that would make everyone really happy, so if this showed up in a Commander set with a different name some day, I would not be surprised at all. Great card but not quite what I was looking for from the art.

1st: Canabiest's Diaspora Protector

2nd: Stucco
3rd: (tie) Jacois and iSperia
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solemn was my inspiration, I wanted a way to use lands of my adversary without being broken.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1