Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 271 - Staple Common

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
coboney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mist Spy - UUU
Creature - Spirit Wizard
Flying
Whenever Mist Spirit deals damage to a player, draw a card.
2/2

'The mists watch constantly, commanded by the gods to bring them information.'
pantheismftw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfuric Sweeping - R

Instant - C

Damage cannot be prevented this turn.

Searing sweeping deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.

Chandra started off as a sparkmage herself, but quickly found she was more at peace as engulfing enfernos ate entire worlds alive.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go?
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wrote:
Sting of Darkness 1B

Instant COMMON

Choose one - Target creature gets -0/-3 until end of turn; or target player loses 3 life.

Black shouldn't get burn spells, even clever non-burn spells masquerading as them. Aside from that, I still think that damage prevention and indestructibility are niche enough that this would see no more Modern/Legacy play than Lightning Strike, aka zero.

Stucco wrote:
Flametail Ravager...................RR
Creature - Beast.....................C

Haste

When Flametail Ravager enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target player.

Sacrifice Flametail Ravager at the beginning of your next end step.

3/1

Five damage for two mana is a very good rate, and not having trample does make this chumpable, which I think is generally fair. Your opponent's Kitchen Finks is going to more or less completely blank this, but that's true of a lot of RDW's spells so I think this would at least be put in initial RDW brews in Modern. Definitely see it seeing play in Standard as well. I'm not sure "Flametail Ravager" is a great name though - it immediately reads artifact creature to me, likely because of its similarity to both Arcbound Ravager and ____tail Masticore.

WhoamI wrote:
Leaching Bolt......RB
Sorcery......Common

As an additional cost to cast Leaching Bolt, discard a card or pay 4 life.

Leaching Bolt deals 4 damage to target creature or player.

"With great victory comes great sacrifice."

The rate is probably OK, but this obviously is only going in one possible place in Modern/Legacy, a red-black burn deck, which I think needs more than an already-crowded 2 drop spot to be better than straight mono-red (especially since this either gives card disadvantage or yet more self-damaging effects in one of the decks that deals the most damage to itself via shocklands/Dark Confidant/etc.) Not to mention it being countered is an absolutely blowout, specifically against any tempo deck that will love that you just hit yourself for 4 for no gain.

ShamedShadow wrote:
Portend U

Sorcery [Common]

Scry 1.

Draw a card.

When the speakers gaze upon their omens, they don't always view what they seek.

--------------

Clearly a toned down Preordain, but also flavored to the Theros block.

Yup. This is great. I think this sees print sometime in the near future, although with a different name since Portent is already a card and it'd be really confusing to have two different one-drop blue fixers with a one-letter-different name!

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Conceive - U
Sorcery (Common)
Draw a card.
Fateseal 2.
Just as our eyes need light in order to see, our minds need ideas in order to conceive. - Napoleon Hill

Along the same lines, but I think that this would see a lot less play. Though messing your opponent up is great, the decks that want consistency will always have better options for generating their own goldfish better, rather than potentially wasting an interaction with a deck that doesn't really care what it's drawing next on turn 2.

huntergatsby wrote:
Sudden Disappearance UW

Instant (C)

Choose a target creature an opponent controls that entered the battlefield this turn from anywhere besides your opponents hand. Exile that creature.

"One second he showed up out of the blue, then a white light, and he was gone."

Mostly UW answer to obzedat but could also be reanimation hate.

Also not exactly sure on the wording.

This seems way too narrow - you only get one chance to use it, and if you had any other counterspell you usually would just use it on the reanimation spell or other means by which your opponent is cheating a big guy into play. Plus, it doesn't even interact with Through the Breach or Sneak Attack, two big ways to cheat in fatties, which makes this pretty much stone unplayable, even as a sideboard card. The flavor is there but there's nothing that reads "staple" to me here.

Canabiest wrote:
Volley
{R/W}
Instant
Common

Volley deals 3 damage to target creature.

Aside from Sunlance, which was in a block where they VERY heavily warped the color pie, White doesn't get direct damage to non-attacking or blocking creatures. I'm not sure Mono-White or White/X decks even really want this effect, while red decks sure aren't running this over Flame Slash. I think it's definitely a Standard staple but not seeing any play in Modern or Legacy.

iSperia wrote:
Icecore Weird - 1R
Creature - Elemental (common)
When Icecore Weird enters the battlefield, if (U) was spent to cast it, draw a card.
Ice wrapped by flames - as mind wrapped by emotions
2/2

Why not just make this UR for a 2/2 that cantrips? I like the shout-out to Flamecore Weird as much as anyone but at common red is the only color that hasn't gotten a vanilla 2/2 for 1C, let alone one with upside. I don't this is printable at common as is. Otherwise, the power level is right where I was looking for and I appreciate the simplicity in a common design.

BIRDYYY wrote:
March of the Lions. (W/G).
Sorcery. (Common).

Put a 2/2 Lion token into play under your control.

Kicker(W/G,W/G,W/G)
Populate.

I can't see this being printed at common. Every C for a 2/2 has been uncommon, even C for a 2/1 hasn't made it to common yet. A draft set where this was all over the place would be awful - if you thought Gatecrash was aggressive, wait until you play a deck with six copies of this. On top of that, the complexity is very, very high for a common, with a kicker effect that uses yet another keyword. One plus is that if this was uncommon it would definitely fit the criteria for constructed play.

Livermush wrote:
Shamanic Projecting | G
Sorcery (Common)

Draw a card. If it's a land card, you may reveal it and put it into play tapped.

Gathering various medicines and herbs from all corners of existence, they ground, mixed, and ingested until their spirits left their bodies and communed with the gods.

I like this a lot, but I'm not sure how playable it actually is. I suspect that even in formats where you can fix the top of your deck, this will be a bit too slow, and doing it blindly will be pretty weak 2/3 of the time. That said, cycling a card isn't awful. I think it's probably powerful enough to fit the criteria I set.

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Hand of Erebus - B
Instant (Common)

Destroy target creature if its power is less than your devotion to black. It can't be regenerated.

"You chose the wrong god."

Can't imagine this seeing Modern or Legacy play, though in Standard it would be a very cool card to play around with. The flavor text is amazing - I love the name too.

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Fiery Inspiration 1R
Instant C
Fiery Inspiration deals 4 damage to target creature or player, then discard your hand.
“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, each breath could be the last” - Inner-Flame Clan

I like where you took this, what with burn often being in topdeck mode and not caring at all about the drawback. That makes it narrow but good for the right decks. I'm concerned that it's an instant, though, which I think makes it perhaps too powerful, especially at common. At sorcery I think this would have been a stronger contender - to me, instant is pushing the envelope too far.

Drizzs wrote:
2GG
Breathing Life
Sorcery
Search your library for 2 land cards or a creature with converted mana cost 3 or less and put them into play tapped.

This is ridiculously broken, especially for any land cards, not just basics. Tutoring up Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage or using it as a utility spell ala Green Sun's Zenith is incredibly powerful, not to mention ramping at a competitive rate (see Explosive Vegetation, etc.) for an uncommon. This is definitely not a common that would ever see print. I'm not even sure it'd see print as a mythic rare.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Identity Stress B

Sorcery - Common

Choose a card in target players graveyard. That player then reveals his or her hand and discards each card with the same name as the chosen card.

To doubt oneself is to doubt existence.

This is very neat. It's more restrictive than Cabal Therapy, but it's simple enough to be easily understood, which is important for a common under NWO. I like the flavor especially. I'm just pretty sure it's a bad card. Even accounting for the existence of decks like Pyromancer's Ascension, or the ability for this to combo with other discard effects, I feel like most of the time you'd be much better served with just a Thoughtseize, and 100% of the time better served with something like Extirpate that has the same effect plus a bonus. I don't think this would be a staple, though it is an extremely well-designed common, so props.

Dr_Moo wrote:
Slow Growth - 2G
Sorcery

Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. It doesn't untap during your next untap step.

This is interesting, but pretty complicated and very, very difficult for a new player to see why this is any better than a Rampant Growth. I don't this this as a common, nor do I see it as a staple any more than Sylvan Scrying is a staple - and you could make the argument that Sylvan Scrying is much stronger.

saurgoth wrote:
Grains

Land - Plains ... C

When Grains enters the battlefield, each player gains one life.

A staple of life in all planes.

I'll grant you that this would be a "staple" in the sense that it would be an auto-include in any control deck, but I don't think Wizards is interested in obsoleting basic lands anytime soon.

pseudodespot wrote:
Spectral Infestation WW

Sorcery (common)

Put two 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

After Teysa's coup the henchmen of the syndicate aren't interested in mere gold anymore. A truly worrisome progression.

(The card has the orzhov watermark)

This card is awesome - it pushes cards like Gather the Townsfolk and Lingering Souls to their logical, WW conclusion. It's simple enough to see print at common in an expert-level expansion, but I do have my doubts as to whether it would be far too obnoxious for Limited play. That said, it would see immediate Standard play and could definitely be a roleplayer in a BW tokens deck in Modern. I like it.

coboney wrote:
Mist Spy - UUU
Creature - Spirit Wizard
Flying
Whenever Mist Spirit deals damage to a player, draw a card.
2/2

'The mists watch constantly, commanded by the gods to bring them information.'

An Ophidian with flying is great and all, but a UUU casting cost at common is never going to happen. This has uncommon written all over it. It'd be great for Standard but if Hypnotic Spectre doesn't see play in Modern, this won't either.

pantheismftw wrote:
Sulfuric Sweeping - R

Instant - C

Damage cannot be prevented this turn.

Searing sweeping deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.

Chandra started off as a sparkmage herself, but quickly found she was more at peace as engulfing enfernos ate entire worlds alive.

I think this would be a staple sideboard card if BW tokens ever got big in Modern, but I can't see it doing anything in Standard. I don't think this is powerful enough, sorry.

I'm going to say Livermush, pseudodespot, and ShamedShadow are the top three for the challenge I gave, and I think Livermush's card is my favorite out of them.

AxiomBlurr - you probably made the best-designed common in this CAC, so I'm sort of sorry I had the additional thing about it being a Standard staple!
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass mine to someone else, I got life issues.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the judging...

Go Next someone!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go go go!
Nice judging my card should have been a sorcery.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:
Pass mine to someone else, I got life issues.

pseudodespot, yours was second if you'd like to go.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see that. If ShamedShadow doesn't open an new topic in the next 24h I will improvise.

Loved this contest btw. Encouraging simplicity by asking for a common, call me a fan Smile
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to wait 24h IMO: go go go!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was a pretty good contest and theme. Mine would have been niche playable in Modern I think.
The direct damage indeed usually shows up coupled with a condition in white. But killing small creatures seems to be within the color pie, so I thought it was very possible to open that up a little for a hybrid. But I understand you not liking that too.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a word about graveyard decks with my card. 1R and you discard your hand can be usefull Wink
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3