Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Esper

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
kendiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Modern Esper Reply with quote

So, with GP Richmond on the horizon and me only living an hour and a half away, I'm going. I don't want to play any of the run-of-the mill decks, I prefer to play something that will keep my opponents guessing but still plays the power cards. That said, here's a sample list of what I'm thinking with zero tuning, I'm at work for the night and just had this idea so I haven't had the ability to actually do any testing with it:

Spells:
4x Serum Visions
4x Disfigure
4x Remand
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Path to Exile
3x Mana Leak
3x Supreme Verdict
2x Spell Snare
2x Sphinx's Revelation

Creatures:
4x Snapcaster Mage
3x Vendilion Clique
1x Restoration Angel

Lands:
4x Celestial Colonnade
3x Misty Rainforest
2x Marsh Flats
3x Hallowed Fountain
4x Watery Grave
3x Island
1x Swamp
1x Plains
1x Glacial Fortress
2x Drowned Catacombs

For the sideboard, I'm thinking something along the lines of this:
4x Spreading Seas
3x Rest in Peace
3x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Spell Pierce
2x Batterskull
1x Divine Offering

So, I'm guessing, for the time being that is until the Pro Tour happens, that the metagame is going to be thick with Jund/Junk, Affinity, Splinter Twin and some form of UR or UWR control with a smattering of Pod thrown in there. I don't forsee any real innovation for the time being and any innovation done at the pro tour will not leave enough time for people to pick up the skills necessary to pilot those decks well enough two weeks later at the Grand Prix. So I shouldn't have to worry about any net-deckers out there copying the coolest new deck from the Pro Tour. I should focus on what I expect to see the most of, which really is Jund, Twin and Affinity.

Why the specific cards?

Serum Visions: Not so sure about this, only playtesting will tell me if it's good enough. I have a lot of other options for turn one and this may not end up being a turn one play most of the time.

Disfigure: This is the card I'm most excited about. It kills Deathrite Shaman, Dark Confidant, Snapcaster Mage, Vendilion Clique, Pestermite, Kiki-Jiki, Ornithopter, Signal Pest, Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus... need I go on?

Everything else I think is relatively self-explanatory, it's a pretty standard blue control shell with main-deck Inquisitions. I'm not sure about those, I think maybe they should be the Spreading Seas, especially since I think Spreading Seas is good against Jund and any blue-based control deck playing man-lands - which again, I expect to see a lot of.

The thing that I'm never very good at is building mana-bases. I've never understood how people come to the conclusions they do about the lands they play and whenever I use someone else's mana base, it always works out perfect, whenever I use my own, well... it doesn't. So, some tips there would help me quite a bit.

I'm open to any tips from anyone who has modern blue control experience in regards to the counterspell suite. The only decks I really have experience with in the format are Death and Taxes and Tron. I played storm for a long time but that's all but dead now.

I'm going to sleeve this up tomorrow when I get off work and try to hunt down some local modern players and get some testing in. I'll let you know how it goes.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

that cover's just about eveything you need to know about mana base's with one exception. A lot of fetches is bad when you are playing card's like revelation and want to hit lands every turn. As 3 fetches played and cracked equate's to 6 lands from your deck, that's a lot more than the 3 it would be if they were normal lands. So try to not go overboard on fetches. Conversely a lot of fetches is really good if your playing a deck like zoo and your curve ends at 2.

That said the same person Franck Karsten said this of modren, that a control deck is not possible atm, as the threats are so diverse in how they attack you and the answer's are to narrow. I agree.

Your better to go more midrange esper if you really want to go esper. That way your discard will be more effective. Discard is good now because decks can provide such quick clocks, that people are unable to recover from a well timed discard spell. This deck as it stands would give combo decks to much time to recover from discard.

Adding geist, could solve this and give you a fast clock. At least one of the disfigures could easily be a dismember.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1