Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(not)PRO Player corner - The best of the worst!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
doctor_x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: (not)PRO Player corner - The best of the worst! Reply with quote

I was talking to a old friend of mine, and we both stopped playing mtg for some years, we however started talking about old tournaments, and we came up with a lot of funny anecdotes.

In particular, there are a lot of extremely BAD plays, some of them go even against the rules, that we saw, or (SIGH) performed in tourneys.

Others are cheats, that were performed more or less consciously Smile
(I don't advocate cheating in any way, but some examples are awesome)

I decided to make a post to collect all my funny stories, and to get yours too!
Here are some of them:

1)
Player A attacks with Grim Lavamancer, B takes one damage.
Post combat main phase, player A casts a Ball Lightning!
B: you sure?
A: thinking thinking thinking... yes I'm sure
B: ok, Circular Logic!
A: oh crap...
Shocked

2)
A has Glimmervoid and Darksteel Citadel, no other articats as they were all killed before.
B plays Molten Rain, targeting Citadel!
A takes 2 dmgs, puts citadel in graveyard, kills glimmervoid too, and concedes as he has no more lands...

3) Performed by me in my first tournament (Madness mirror)
I attack, oppo blocks, I play Krosan Reclamation and shuffle his wonder from graveyard to library, then I say: my creatures still fly, your don't! So he discards another wonder, but I say: you already declared blockers, you can't change them, so I win Laughing

In the second game, he casts a Roar of the Wurm with flashback, so I play in response my Krosan Reclamation and shuffle his Roar.
Time walk for me and I win!

Believe me I was not cheating, I thought these were actually the rules!!!

4) The rock vs Loam deck
The rock starts by playing in his first turn cabal therapy naming LIFE FROM THE LOAM Shocked
After some turns, opp takes back his life from the loam but doesn't play it, so The Rock sacrifices his BOP to flashback cabal therapy and calls for Life once again Rolling Eyes

5)
A starts with land and brainstorm
B starts with land and Aether Vial
A plays second land and Standstill... WTF
B plays second land, taps both of them and plays Piledriver... double WTF

6)
shards of alara pre-release, players are in their 3rd game, both have around 10 creatures or so in play, both have very high life points. Time ends and the judge calls for turns.
It's the beginning of turn 5, nobody managed to win yet, when player A draws, yell YES FINALLY, topdecks the 7th land and plays the winning TITANIC ULTIMATUM! Oppo reads the card, A attacks, they count the damages (with the help of a judge that came in the meanwhile), so player A wins!
Little detail, the 7th land was a swamp Very Happy

7)
Player A plays swamp and chrome mox imprinting Phyrexian Negator, taps and plays Dark Confidant.
B plays land and Aether vial.
A's turn, Phyrexian Negator leaves his place from below the mox and attacks with BOB for 7 damages, he then takes his place back under the mox to add more black mana for Hymn to Tourach.
Opp didn't even realize what happened...

So this is enough for now, I have way more that I will post as soon as I have more time.
Please share your stories now!
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what is wrong with 5 - other than maybe he should have vialed in the piledriver to avoid triggering standstill.
pg8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
I don't get what is wrong with 5 - other than maybe he should have vialed in the piledriver to avoid triggering standstill.

Generally you only play Standstill when you are ahead on board or you have a Vial on an empty board so that you are always the one to draw off of it. A smart opponent would never cast another spell for the rest of the game and still win easily.
mtgsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughed way too hard with number 6. good way of telling the story also Very Happy

the last one though its ridiculous, i cant believe that one is true
mtgsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i have story of mine.
In a local legacy tournment, i was playing burn and i would lose next turn.
My opponent is at 8 and i topdecked the 2nd fireblast, so i sac 4 lands in a row and cast bost fireblasts. He looks to his life, and scoops, gg.

One detail, one of the lands was a barbarian ring.
Tidus-
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorites stories is from magic online.

My opponent has no cards in hand and I attack him down to 1 life.
I'm at 3

My opponent draws a Bloodbraid Elf and cascades into Feral Hydra.
He casts the Feral Hydra for x = 0 and dies to the 1 damage from my
Hissing Iguana when is Hydra dies.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing a zendikar draft

my opponent had a windrider eel and a surakar marudaer in play, 1 cards in hand if he drew a land for the turn he won thanks to landfall. He did not and passed with one card in hand.

I actually drew my only out hideous end, which allowed me to steal his wind rider eel with the mark of mutiny I had in hand, play a land attack him with everything and drop him down 2 and hideous end ftw.

So I drop him down 2, using the method described, then tank about the last card in his hand. What if its a counterspell? It's not a land or he would have played it and won, similarly its not removal and he would by crazy to hold back a creature at this point. My opponent is also tapped out all but one blue mana, hes played a spell plus a creature for the last few turns, the creature he played this turn was not very good (the sort of creature you would always play last if you had a choice as its embarrassingly bad) i can not remember what, it must be a counterspell!

I thought more about the way he had played and every instinct in my body was telling me he had a counterspell, if its cancel, he only has one blue open atm if I play the hideous end now my opponent can not counter it. It's unlikely he would see this sequence of plays for the win he may think he was at a safe life total. My play hideous end targeting the wind rider eel i was at 2... overthinking for the loss.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's a fun one for you. This was a 4322 draft on modo back when I was a newbie.

Game 3, I have lethal on board. I swing, he declines to block, and I thoughtlessly go ahead and play Aggressive Urge on one of my creatures (for one damage more than lethal). The game closed right there, and it took me 30 minutes to realize that Aggressive Urge was the last card in my deck.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During kamigawa, my buddy's opponent attacked him down to 2 life. He had a kabuto moth untapped on board, and my buddy convinced his opponent to just put him down to 1 to save time writing his life total. This was also convenient when he untapped and played reverse the sands, especially since my buddy only had a 1/1 and the moth was now tapped and couldn't block!
Moral of the story: never listen to your opponent!
_Godica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I tried to Stifle Ruric Thar.

Another time, my opponent played Phantasmal Image, copying my Stoneforge Mystic. He searched for his Umezawa's Jitte, played it, and on his next turn equipped it to his Image.
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one happens all the time:

Both players have Jace in play. Player A plays Detention Sphere, says "exile Jace," then passes the turn. Player B says "exile your Jace too..."
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1