Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card #249 (JUDGED)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Domine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circle of Life and Death BBBWWW

Enchanment

Whenever a player would win the game, that player loses the game instead.

Whenever a player would lose the game, that player wins the game instead.

Mythic

To Live is to Die
Mizukage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolling Mine | 1RR

Legendary Enchantment Artifact (R)

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards cards from his hand at random until he has one or fewer cards left, then draws a card for each card he discarded this way, then draws another card.

At any time, any player may reveal two cards except basic lands with the same name from his hand. If a player does, you lose the game.

Inviting or repulsive? To each his own.

Last edited by Mizukage on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time of our Lives 4RRRR

Sorcery [Mythic Rare]

Each player exiles his or her library. Each player may cast or play any number of cards exiled in this way from his or her library without paying their mana costs, and as though those cards had flash.

At the beginning of the next end step after yours, all players lose the game. (The game is a draw.)
Steveman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Seal (Mythic Rare)
WURBG
Legendary Enchantment
When World Seal enters the battlefield, exile all other non-land permanents.
When World Seal leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield under their owner's control. You lose the game.
"No shoulder can bear the weight of the world"[/i]
mana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, well done everyone. Entries are now closed.

To begin with, I notice that a lot of entries have the clause "that player loses the game" rather than "you lose the game". As a large number of people did this, I will not disqualify any entry with "that player loses the game", though that was not my original intention. Let's start!

iSperia wrote:
Entity of Shapes - 2UG
Creature - Elemental (rare)
Whenever a player plays a land, he or she takes control over Entity of Shapes.
Whenever you tap a land for mana, you may add (1) to your mana pool.
At the beginning of the end step, if you did not play a creature spell this turn, you lose the game.
1/5

An interesting design. My first thought when I saw this was Donate, which makes this card ridiculous. In today's aggressive meta, I feel that enough creatures are played for this to not be a one sided Limited Resources, so this is more than playable both as a ramp and a wincon in Constructed and also in EDH. 8/10

sc4rs wrote:
Myz, Greed Incarnate
2UUBB
Legendary Creature - Elemental - Rare
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.
T: Target player draws a card.
Whenever Myz deals combat damage to a player, if he or she has more cards in hand than each other player, he or she loses the game.
5/5

This is quite strong in limited, where you often get stuck with cards in your hand that you can't cast, and weaker in Constructed. Of course EDH could always use another interesting general, I guess. 7.5/10

Raybelfast wrote:
Twisted Concentration - UUBB

Enchantment

At the beginning of your end step if you have more than 0 cards in your hand you lose the game.

At the beginning of each end opponents end step if your opponent has more than 0 cards in hand they lose the game.

Discard a card:put the top 10 cards of your library into the graveyard, any play may play this ability once per turn.

"A Battle of Wits you say, a fools game indeed"

Edit, was non symmetrical, changed trigger effect to be more reasonable.

To start off, I feel like you worded this a bit weirdly. It could have just as easily said "At the beginning of each player's end step, if that player has any cards in their hand, they lose the game."

I also feel that this is a bit ridiculous for the mana cost. One with Nothing is suddenly instawin with this, and there are too many cards that are printed that allow you to instantly discard your entire hand. As is such, I feel this card is just a bit too underpriced for what it does. It is of course difficult to price any card with a "player loses the game" effect, though. Perhaps if the active ability could be played multiple times per turn to give the opponent a way out of the instawin, but force them to mill their library and lose like that? 5/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Eternal Overlord 2RRR

Creature - Dragon (mythic)

Flying

Nonbasic lands are mountains.

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may pay WUBG. If you don't, you lose the game.

6/5

I like this card, actually. 5 for a 6/5 flying with Blood Moon and an attack clause. Given that the card costs 2RRR, has a Blood Moon, and the attack clause costs WUBG it's going to be incredibly difficult for the player to ever pay the cost. As is such, it really feels like this card has defender. I feel that you either undercosted the clause or overcosted the card, though to err on the side of underpoweredness in this CaC was probably a good thing. 7/10

aule wrote:
Bond of Blood | 1BB
Enchantment | Rare
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature.
At the beginning of your end step, if you control no creatures, you lose the game.

Everyone must make sacrifices if we are to succeed.

An interesting take on The Abyss. In Limited, the lose game clause sounds a bit harsh. In Constructed, removal makes the clause a bit harsh as well, but less so. I feel that you got the balance right in terms of appropriate cost which is quite hard, so this gets 9/10.

thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Basic Hourglass 1
Legendary Artifact R
At the beginning of your end step you may search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a land. If you canít, you lose the game.
Life and death are just a question of timing.

Art: The Hourglass by Saarl on deviantart

To me this screams Dakmor Salvage. To turn one land a turn into a fetchland is powerful enough to warrant the lose game clause, and when you run out of cards in your library you have to sacrifice a land per turn. Recurring bounce effects (Vedalken Mastermind, anyone?) also make this card very strong. Otherwise, a very interesting concept. Points for creativity, balance and playability. 9.5/10

_Godica wrote:
Battlefield Glory 1WW

Sorcery -- Rare

All creatures gain deathtouch until end of turn. Creatures you control gain +2/+2 and lifelink until end of turn.

At the beginning of the next end step, if you control any creatures, you lose the game.

Man and beast alike fight most ferociously when they know their end is near.

I like this card quite a lot. If I understand it correctly, the point of this is an undercosted Overrun that the opponent can play around by letting one creature survive. It's a pretty big gamble though; Fog effects are probably the best counter to this I can think of. Given the low mana cost, I think it's well balanced, very creative, but just loses out in playability. 8.5/10

Scuta04 wrote:
Bribery and Collusion 3UB
Enchantment Artifact - Rare

Players can't gain life. Damage can't be prevented.

2: Draw 3 cards. You lose the game at the beginning of the next end step. Any player may activate this ability but only anytime they could play a sorcery.

To start off with, the card's colours seem a bit weird for the passive symmetrical effect; Sulfuric Vortex was heavily red. That said, the colour is appropriate for the active ability. There isn't any synergy between the abilities - I don't understand why you chose the non-lifegain/non-prevent effect for this card. Ignoring the passive abilities, though, the active ability seems balanced but abusable. Drawing cards is a stupidly powerful effect, and I suspect you'd either play this and win the game that turn, or lose the game the next. 6/10 - if you'd made the first ability a bit more synergistic, this could have been much more.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Tide Unleashed 0
Sorcery - Mythic
~ is blue.
Each player draws 3 cards. At the end of turn, you lose the game.

Compared to the last card, I like this one more in terms of both playability and balance, with a similar effect. Firstly, it's not repeatable, which stops a lot of potential abuse (not that playing four of these is called "not abusing", especially since drawing cards tends to make you draw another copy.)

That said, since it costs 0, any colour could play this, and I feel it would become the next Lion's Eye Diamond - looks balanced initially, but is actually ridiculous for the cost. I suspect it would have an insta-restriction in Vintage and an insta-ban in every other format, especially since the "You lose the game" clause isn't cumulative with the second, third, or fourth copies you play in a turn. Perhaps a more appropriate cost would be (U) to at least avoid the colour bleed. 6/10 because it's stupidly overpowered, would be more if it wasn't.

Livermush wrote:
Mutually Assured Destruction | BBBBBUUUUU
Sorcery (Mythic)

All players lose the game.

No more than ten to twenty million killed, tops.

This would never see print for the sole purpose that it forces a draw. Given that the cost is 10 in exact proportions of B and U and the effect doesn't at least bring you closer to winning, it's also unplayable. Angel's Grace/Platinum Angel seem to be the only two ways I can think of to win with this card, and even then, it's about as silly as Door to Nothingness. 2/10

Domine wrote:
Circle of Life and Death BBBWWW

Enchanment

Whenever a player would win the game, that player loses the game instead.

Whenever a player would lose the game, that player wins the game instead.

Mythic

To Live is to Die

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you add the clause "other than from Circle of Life and Death" to each of those lines so you don't get an infinite replacement loop. This is a rules nightmare - what happens if you have two of these in play? Then we'd have to amend the card to "other than from cards in play named Circle of Life and Death". What happens if a player forfeits? (haha). The rules associated with this card make it completely unprintable.

Rules issues aside (and there would be a LOT of them with this card) it's a very creative design. I guess it combos with any of the cards in this thread, almost. I feel the mana cost is thematically appropriate and correctly priced (perhaps 2BBWW would have made this a bit more playable) but quite prohibitive and thus slighlty more balanced. Then of course, there are loads of cards with "Pay __ life: effect" which make this instawin - thus also decreasing it's already low printability. 4/10

Mizukage wrote:
Lolling Mine | 2

Artifact (R)

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player draws seven cards.

Whenever a card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.

Inviting or repulsive? To each his own.

This is very creative and of course would have to only be played with combo. Spellbook works but destroying anything of yours loses the game... so the only decent combos I can think of with this is Wheel of Sun and Moon, which of course stops the lose game clause while your opponents mill themselves, and Donate, which is silly with this.

I think you've managed to cost this card otherwise well (apart from the Donate combo, which is silly) and it certainly would have a hilarious effect on the game. 8/10

b4il3y wrote:
For the record this is the craziest CAC I've seen yet. This is a good thing Smile

The Plague BBBBGGGG
Mythic - Enchantment
Whenever a player receives a poison counter, that player loses the game.
Rats. Everywhere. I hate rats.
-Citizen in Prague, cerca 1349.

I'm not sure what to say about this. This is possibly the least symmetrical symmetry I have seen on a card because opponents won't be playing infect/poison. I really like the flavour of this though, as soon as you get infected you die, right? The cost again seems very prohibitive, like other cards in this contest. Would be printable perhaps in the same sets as infect. That said, infect is a very aggro playstyle and to get to 8 mana is a bit high. Maybe as a stopgap? 7/10, mostly points for flavour.

P.S. I'm glad you thought so Smile

ShamedShadow wrote:
Time of our Lives 4RRRR

Sorcery [Mythic Rare]

Each player exiles his or her library. Each player may cast or play any number of cards exiled in this way from his or her library without paying their mana costs, and as though those cards had flash.

At the beginning of the next end step after yours, all players lose the game. (The game is a draw.)

Erm, EDH would have to ban this card, I think, especially in more than 2 player games. I assume your reminder text would be changed to "If all players lose at the same time, the game is a draw" to avoid things like Angel's Grace etc.

You've also forgotten the fact that when a player draws from an empty library, they lose the game. Playing this followed by, say, Time Stop (which of course is free) makes your opponent lose when they draw, or playing Platinum Angel (which again is free with this card) will also make your opponent lose when they draw. Silence/Orim's Chant also stop them from casting, but the ultimate abuse of this is Angel's Grace, which is split second so it can't be countered, and can't be destroyed like Platinum Angel can. Just make sure to play two copies, of course, one for your turn and one for theirs.

So believe it or not, as creative as this card is, it's also really silly. As stupid as this sounds, you've undercosted this card by a lot. 6/10

Steveman wrote:
World Seal (Mythic Rare)
WURBG
Legendary Enchantment
When World Seal enters the battlefield, exile all other non-land permanents.
When World Seal leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield under their owner's control. You lose the game.
"No shoulder can bear the weight of the world"[/i]

Very creative. Again, the one combo I can think of with this is Donate (+ removal) but not much else - even Angel's Grace doesn't make this too overpowered. I really like the flavour of this card too. The mana cost is prohibitive enough (though perhaps a tad undercosted, though if you can afford WUBRG you would probably be able to afford say an extra 2), and the effect appropriately powerful, but not game-winning in and of itself.

I guess Krosan Grip really screws this over though, heh.

I have to give this one very high marks for balance, simplicity, flavour, and printability, which makes this the best all-round card in this contest. 10/10.

Well done to Steveman for 1st, thelemys for 2nd and aule for 3rd!

Next!
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - i see it .
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2