Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creatures and stack

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Just the act of entering the battlefield cannot be responded to. If you do not have a response to the creature spell, the creature resolves and becomes a permanent. Now the active player has the first chance to do something (priority) again.

2. Aura spells and Equip abilities almost always have a single target. A spell or ability which has no legal targets when it resolves is countered by the game rules. On an Aura, that means that the spell is countered and goes to the graveyard. On an equipment, that means that the equipment does not become attached and stays where it was before. The exception to this rule is the recent "Bestow" ability. If a spell cast for its Bestow cost has no legal targets when it resolves, it enters the battlefield as a Creature instead of an Aura.
shadowist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this is one of the weird quirks about mtg. If Sporemound had any 187 effects/ something that makes all creatures 187 eg. Suture Priest, my opponent can kill my Sporemound before I can play a land. But otherwise, I can play a land and create a token and my opponent can't do anything about it.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to make this absolutely clear. This is the chain of events

1. Declare casting your creature spell and pay its required costs
2. Priority is passed in APNAP order (Active Player NonActive Player)
3. Assuming your spell is not responded to on the stack it resolves and enters the battlefield
4. Your creatures triggered ability triggers (note: There are no priority checks between 3 and 4)
5. all triggered abilities that trigger from your creature entering the battlefield go on the stack in APNAP order (i.e. the non active player's triggered abilities resolve first also if you have multiple triggered abilities you choose the order in which they go on the stack)
6. Priority is passed once again in APNAP order (this is the first time priority is passed in APNAP order after your creature enters the battlefield).

to flesh out the sporemound point for anyone new. Playing a land does not use the stack (and does not require passing of priority) but can only be done at the time you could cast a sorcery. What this means is that if a creature that uses the Landfall mechanic resolves you do not get a chance to kill it before they have a chance to play a land UNLESS that creature triggers an enter the battlefield ability. When this happens the trigger immediately goes on the stack and the creatures controller is unable to play a land until the ability resolves at which point you can respond to the triggered ability with a removal spell.

Sorry if that's a little too long winded but I just wanted to make sure I got everything. Hope that helps (and that I didn't forget anything).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1