Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadbore VS Hero's Downfall

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Dreadbore VS Hero's Downfall
Dreadbore
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Hero's Downfall
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Dreadbore VS Hero's Downfall Reply with quote

Hi!

In a deck where you already have the necessary mana to play both spells, in your opinion, which one it's better?"Dreadbore" or "Hero's Downfall"?

Dreadbore
Only 2 mana cost, but is a multicolor, and a sorcery...

Hero's Downfall
It's an instant, but need double black, and obviously its a 3 mana cost...

In your opinion which one it's better overall, and do you change your choose depending on the deck type?
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instants...all the way....
Terri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a 3 color deck dreadbore is much better. you have other instant spot removal which is not double black and costs less than 3 mana.
_Godica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it depends on the deck.

If you're playing shock/lightning strike/magma jet etc the you probably want hero's downfall. If you don't have other low-mana removal spells then I'd take dreadbore.
___

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not considering color requirements, usually the cheapest option is the better one.
Then you have to consider cards played in the metagame, and your deck gameplan/strategy.
As an example, if your deck lacks instant-speed removal, then hero's downfall might be better; or maybe you need to protect planeswalkers from hasty dragons.
The mana curve of the deck is also relevant.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your style of deck matters the most. If you're playing some form of tap-out control like Jund (with mostly creatures and sorceries) then Dreadbore is much better on your mana base, and presumably you're playing Anger of the Gods, which at 1RR is awkward to play with Hero's Downfall.

On the other hand, if you're playing UBR or some other instant-based control deck, you want to be able to leave mana open and attack your opponent's endstep so you can have counterspells up, in which case Hero's Downfall is almost definitely better.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although style of deck is important, I would say the most important thing is having the right removal for the meta ie what threats are seeing play.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
although style of deck is important, I would say the most important thing is having the right removal for the meta ie what threats are seeing play.

That's true but pretty irrelevant for the cards at hand when they have the exact same text...
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily the biggest problem with the last block for example was every fucking red creature had sodding haste parden my French but it was something that really annoyed me and most of the removal was sorcery making it pretty bad. In that case your better playing other 2cc spells in the dreadbore slot and playing hero's downfall in the 3cc slot.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for your opinions! Really appreciated!

I tried to make the 2 questions, which one is better overall, and then depending on the deck...

By your opinions, almost everyone says that depends on the deck anyway, and I have to agree with that...
Overall speaking, I think that the majority agrees with the Hero's Downfall it's better... Being an instant it's a pretty big deal!

Terri wrote:
"in a 3 color deck dreadbore is much better. you have other instant spot removal which is not double black and costs less than 3 mana."
Obviously I was talking about this specific 2 cards for some reason, exactly same effect (creatures and planes) but pros and cons on both cards... Everyone knows that are different removals, (best for creatures, best for planeswalkers, less then 3cc...), that's not the point here...

Anyway...
Overall, be my guest, and please continue to give your opinions and why;

About the deck type, I was thinking about Grixis Control... I even saw decks with 2 of each spells maindeck, but I'm not really sure if that's the way to go... But at the time, I'm using Hero's Downfall! On control, I think that being an instant makes it the best card for the job! Not sure if I'm doing the right choice though...

Please, be free to say what you think about it!
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a control deck, being instant makes Downfall better. In a 1 for 1 mana efficiency deck like Jund, Dreadbore is better because you will want to play it main phase anyway.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1