Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bant Crystal Shard

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
zebo_88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Bant Crystal Shard Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this is a deck I own that I built just with cards i have for playing with friends in a non-competitive environment, we just have pseudo-modern decks and play each other. I was just wondering if something competitive could be pulled out from this idea. Suggestions are welcome!

Creatures

1 Thragtusk
1 Loxodon Hierarch
2 Eternal Witness
1 Blade Splicer
3 Sea-gate Oracle
3 Coiling Oracle
1 Mystic Snake
1 Acidic Slime
1 Acid Web Spider
1 Sunblast Angel
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch

Spells

2 Cancel
3 Mana leak
3 Crystal Shard
2 Congregation at Dawn
3 Oblivion Ring
3Supreme verdict
2 Repeal

Lands(25)

(The manabase is not relevant, three color modern decks have always the same manabase, some fetch some shock, m10 filter mirrodin etc..)

The idea is to drop some guy with etb abilities, like blade splicer or eternal witness, then abuse of its effect with crystal shard, also useful to protect your creatures and force opponent to always keep one mana open. Weakness of this deck is that it's a bit slow.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be more descriptive about your deck please Smile
http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15755
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge fan of ug shard during original mirrodin block. Plus sharoum the hedgemon commander decks so I have a soft spot for crystal shard and had considered trying to build a competitive deck around it for a while now.

However I do not think it is possible as I just think the birthing pod deck does a better job, of doing everything a crystal shard deck wants to do.
gdhack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ignore Moscowdemon^

What about some planes walker up in there. Or maybe the new 2u god from theros.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdhack wrote:
^ignore Moscowdemon^

What about some planes walker up in there. Or maybe the new 2u god from theros.

No do not ignore Moscowdemon!

There is no use posting somerandom selection of cards for your kitchen table or whatever as it means Nothing!!~~

If you want to talk about a deck you have made...talk about it...dont expect freedback or kudos or anything unless you actually write a decent paragraph or two about your deck!
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how posters tried to be ignore the rules, then others are sided with those rules because they want more info and not just random decklists without explanation. Good job, forum viewers.
OK, this post has been up for a decent period of time now, I expect more explanation by 18/9 forum time or I am going to have to move this to the casual section. It really is not hard at all to explain your deck and write a few paragraphs. I would even say I am interested in your list and might have ideas for it, but I can't comment if I have no clue what you are expecting.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it better, however I thank gdhack and greenbear for answering even though the post was incomplete.

The deck was born exactly from a reminiscence of old mirrodin UG shard, and seeing that with the modern pool there was an impressive availability of creatures with 'enter the battlefield' abilities to work on.

Main difference between this and a birthing pod deck is the control body:
3x mana leak
2x cancel (dissipate or the new scry 1 from theros will be fetched)
2x repeal
3x supreme verdict
3x oblivion ring

These spells should help you until you have enough mana to make your engine start.

I know I should find some space for path to exile but i like o ring a lot because it allows you to take rid of various combos and planeswalkers.

Other counter alternatives: spell snare, mana tithe. Maybe some of them will be included in side.

Creatures are a bit random but everyone of them does its job. The spider can be cut off (i miswrote, it's the one that kills flying guys), and i'm adding another thragtusk.
Loxodon hierarch is good because it can be online as early as turn three with a coiling into land turn 2.

Congregation at dawn allows you to choose your next 3 draws and set some response to your opponents' threats over time: if your opponent has attacked this turn take sunblast angel, if he has annoying artifacts enchantments or lands then acidic slime, etc.

My doubts are these: would be gifts ungiven better than congeregation?
Do you think i need more acceleration (noble hierarch for example)?

Note: i wrote this thread because i asked for some help and advice' i,m not asking you to male the deck for me, and if the deck was already perfect and tested why would i need to post it on a forum?

Thank you again for your advices guys.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before I think this deck will always suffer from the fact birthing pod is just a better engine card than crystal shard. But you should still be able to make a decent deck out of it. The curve does look a little dodgey as it is so def the 4th coiling oracle.

Cards to consider

venser shaper savant, makes for a nice soft lock. Allows you to deal with almost any problem permanent

Vendillion Clique - I think this is a must, storm is very much a deck, you stand very little chance vs it as is, vendillion clique should give you some game. Very solid vs all the combo decks and combo is heavy in modern atm

Mulldrifter, Solid value card, you can turn into really powerful drawing engine.

Fiendhunter or banishing priest - Can do some nice tricks with this and crystal shard.

Snapcaster Mage - Solid value card flash creatues work nicely with shard.

Kitchen Finks, Solid value card that is good enough on its own and even better with shard.

Revilark (Mirror entity, Body Double plus Venser Mulldrifter, Oracle) If your playing, congregation at dawn you might as well play this combo right. Lark is solid with shard anyhow. The ability to combo out once you have taken control is one of the main reasons I think pod is just a better engine.

Also defiantly add the 4th coiling oracle. In addition I think a nice equipment card, one of the swords probably feast and famine or sofi would be a nice fit with value creatures they just make them so much better.

Drop the supreme verdicts they do not make sense in a creature based decks. Add some paths I do not think you need a full suite twin is also a serious deck you need to have a plan for. Oblivion ring needs to be detention sphere, its just a better card and will also help improve the storm match up.

Drop cancel it does not cut it in modern if you want a counter try remand.

Good luck:)

Last edited by GreenBear on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
Fiendhunter or banishing priest - Can do some nice tricks with this and crystal shard.

Banisher Priest does not work well with Crystal Shard.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pg8 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:

Right rule's are not really my speciality so correct me if im wrong but. You should be able to put, banisher priest into play stack the ability to exile a creature bounce it with shard, banisher priest returns to hand, then exile ability resolves permanently exiling the creature and leaving you with a banisher priest in hand.
huntergatsby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
pg8 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:

Right rule's are not really my speciality so correct me if im wrong but. You should be able to put, banisher priest into play stack the ability to exile a creature bounce it with shard, banisher priest returns to hand, then exile ability resolves permanently exiling the creature and leaving you with a banisher priest in hand.

You can with fiend hunter...they changed the wording on banisher priest so it reads a little differently now.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntergatsby wrote:
GreenBear wrote:
pg8 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:

You can with fiend hunter...they changed the wording on banisher priest so it reads a little differently now.

Oh typical wizards just play fiendhunter then.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aether Vial should be in here somewhere.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here has been really kind and gave me a lot of interesting ideas. At the moment i'm trying with this.

About planeswalkers, i don't really know which one would fit here, maybe venser but i don't like him because alone he does really nothing.

AEther vial is a super good idea, it's really perfect here, i'm trying with 2 because i didn't find other spots for it, however there's still time to decide.

Supreme verdict, in my opinion, here is playable because of crystal shard: you won't have more than one or two creatures on the board, and one of them can be retrieved with the shard, it also helps you keep aggro at bay in the first turns, so i think at least 2 are required.

Sideboard is almost totally random, but it depends on the metagame; anyway suggestions are welcome. Here is the updated list so far:

// Lands (24)
2 RTR Temple Garden
4 ZEN Island
1 ZEN Plains
2 ZEN Forest
2 DIS Breeding Pool
2 DIS Hallowed Fountain
2 ZEN Arid Mesa
2 WWK Stirring Wildwood
1 SOM Seachrome Coast
2 SOM Razorverge Thicket
4 ZEN Misty Rainforest

// Creatures (15)
1 MOR Vendilion Clique
2 SHM Kitchen Finks
1 M13 Thragtusk
1 ROE Sea Gate Oracle
1 NPH Blade Splicer
1 M10 Acidic Slime
1 SOM Sunblast Angel
1 TSB Mystic Snake
2 FD Eternal Witness
4 DIS Coiling Oracle

// Spells (21)
2 RAV Congregation at Dawn
3 M12 Mana Leak
2 DIS Voidslime
3 MR Crystal Shard
2 RTR Detention Sphere
2 RTR Supreme Verdict
3 CMD Path to Exile
2 GP Repeal
2 DS AEther Vial

// Sideboard
2 MOR Vendilion Clique
2 SHM Kitchen Finks
1 M13 Thragtusk
1 DIS Voidslime
1 TSP Harmonic Sliver
2 TSP Krosan Grip
3 ZEN Spreading Seas
3 TSB Tormod's Crypt
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1