Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MWS dead?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
Strid3r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost popularity Razz. Also has been crashing more often than before.
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest checking out woggerworks.com, tons of players there.
adventur_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWS suffers from being old and defunct. The last update was what, 5 years ago?

Most halfway serious people have migrated to Cockatrice by now, as JC_Strainer mentioned. It's still a few features short of being m-l compatible, but that could definitely be a future reality. If you don't mind playing outside of the league, it is the best MTGO-alternative out there.
_Godica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't see why. It has a better server than MWS, but that seems to be about all it has going for it. I only have about an hour of experience on Cockatrice but it seemed in that time it seemed like both the deckbuilding and gameplaying interfaces were substantially worse than MWS's -- less intuitive, slower, no chat buttons, and 100000x worse use of space.

Why do people prefer it?
adventur_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely room for improvement, but the play interface is actually not a lot worse than MWS, just different. It takes some getting used to if you've been using MWS for a long time, it was definitely the same for me. Once you do, though, it's actually pretty good. I agree that chat buttons missing can be annoying. It also feels much closer to real magic cards, rather than a computer version; that can be a good thing, or a not so good thing, depending on preference.

And of course, the dedicated chat servers, support for multiplayer and limited (to an extent) make it much, much more convenient to play on. It's far from perfect, but the only thing MWS has left going for it is the support of m-l. For free, out-of-league play, I see little reason to use it anymore.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat functions aren't missing btw, there are macros which you can setup and then use with Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 etc.
It's actually a lot faster than moving your mouse to say "Ok?" "Ok".
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly my biggest problem is the "stack" zone. It's clunky, awkward, and unnecessary. I understand the attempt to look like MTGO, but without programming support it's just terrible. Some cards go there when you double click them, while others don't, and there's no way to represent triggers there, which are imo the part of magic where it's most important to pay attention to the stack.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a snob here, but the higher functionality has very little appeal to me compared the pain I feel inside every time I look at the obvious design mistakes.
adventur_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I find the stack to be quite useful. While it's of course no substitute to the way MTGO handles things, it offers more possibilities than MWS. You're not forced to use it, and if you don't it's basically like it is in MWS. But if you do, it can be very convenient, far more so than simply dragging everything into play the way MWS does things.
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, the stack zone is 100% optional, I use it as soon ad I see the opponent having a potential counterspell, it saves the whole OK? - OK shenanigans.

Also, playing instants and sorceries is way better in the stack than on the battlefield.

It is superior in every way, after 4-5 matches, I was just as fast in Cockatrice as in MWS.

For me, MWS is the past, and a burden on our potential increase in members.
SwordSkill
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how can anyone aquire Cockatrice since the site closed down? Is there any way to play mtg with Cockatrice?
From what I saw that far, it seemed pretty cool in some pics one mtgsalvation, but the site is down Sad
adventur_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we are not allowed to link to software that could be considered a copyright violation. You should check out the mtgsalvation forums, though, I'm sure someone there can help you out more.
adamf9898

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: MWS < Cockactrice Reply with quote

I have actually paid the $30 to get my own serial for MWS a long time ago. I have also tried Cockatrice and I would have to say that Cockatrice is better plus it is free.

So MWS is not dead completley but I would say it is more of in a "graveyard" mode at the moment. Which all mtg players should know that cards in a graveyard can be brought back! Wink

This is just my personal opinion though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1