Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night of the Living Dead

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Night of the Living Dead Reply with quote

Update 8/14/2013: Made the deck more aggressive and changed the SB to deal with the field in a better way.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
17 [M14] Swamp
4 [M14] Mutavault
2 [AVR] Cavern of Souls

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
3 [M14] Lifebane Zombie
3 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
3 [DKA] Highborn Ghoul
4 [ISD] Diregraf Ghoul

// Spells
4 [DKA] Tragic Slip
4 [M14] Dark Prophecy
4 [M13] Mutilate
4 [M14] Bubbling Cauldron
3 [M13] Sign in Blood
1 [M14] Door of Destinies

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
SB: 1 [M14] Lifebane Zombie
SB: 3 [M13] Duress
SB: 2 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 4 [M13] Vampire Nighthawk
SB: 1 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
SB: 2 [AVR] Barter in Blood

The idea is that you can be a decently aggressive zombies deck that can also transition into a powerful control deck as well.

On the numbers that I have chosen.

4 gravecrawler is obvious. heart and soul of the deck really, he's aggressive and feeds your CA engine and hard to get rid of

3 lifebane since intimidate helps get a lot of damage though but he is high up on the curve.

3 messenger since he also puts a lot of pressure on your opponent but also feeds your sac engine if you dont have gravecrawler going. Also gives you pressure post mutilate.

4 diregraf ghoul, again to keep up the pressure

3 highborn ghoul, intimidate helps get damage though. A weaker/cheaper lifebane bassically.

4 slip, premium removal for this deck

4 mutilate, basically wrath of god but with gravecrawler, messenger, and mutavault this isn't a fair one.

4 dark prophesy, basically necropotence in this deck. Technically there are only 4 sac outlets but since you are putting a lot of pressure on your opponents a lot of the times you force your opponents to block your creatures or take lethal or you can just drop mutilate as your "sac outlet." Normally with a card like this you would want to go to 3 copies since you never want more then 2 in play at a time but this card is just so powerful any time you resolve it that you do not care if 1 or 2 cards in your hand are redundant. It's almost as powerful as necropotence really.

4 bubbling cauldren, started as a 2 of but then I found out it's better in multiples. Gains you an absurd amount of life. Giving you a place to sink mana, gain life, and remain on the offensive while racing. Also part of the CA engine. Basically the more the merrier, so 4 copies.

3 sign in bloods, smooth out your draws and can be used to kill your opponent a nontrivial amount of the time since you can be an aggro deck if you want. It is possible that you might want to add one more over prophesy but I have not tested that configuration yet.

1 door of destinies, For a long time I was looking for one card that fit the "aetherling" spot in the deck (i.e. hard to remove permanent that takes over the game). Testing this and so far it fits the bill to a T. 4 mana is not terrible on your resources as the game goes longer and with recurring gravecrawlers it gets out of hand VERY fast. So far I have not lost a game where I have cast it.

Matchups:

Flash is a breeze since they try to stop your beatdown plan with removal that is not effective against your creatures. While that's happening you just drop a prophesy and the card advantage engine blows them out. By the time that they are getting to sphinx's revelations for 4-7 your already out card advantaging them with a board presence.

-4 mutilate -1 Door of Destinies +3 duress + 1 messenger +1 cavern of souls.

Same plan as before but now you can take their revelation with duress. The rest is easy.

Jund: they basically load up on removal and have a few high cmc threats. You try to go under them by swarming with weenies and eat their removal. Eventually they clog up the ground and you get the gravecrawler, prophesy, cauldren combo going and drown them in CA and removal.

SB: -3 highborn ghoul +2 barter in blood +1 lifebane zombie

they dont have many threats so barter is like mutilate 5-6, and lifebane zombie is VERY good against them. highborn ghoul gets hit by their removal very frequently so it's better to just add more impactful cards.

RG aggro: this matchup playes out 1 of 2 ways. Either your the control deck and you burn removal and aggressively trade early or you trade blows with your opponent and ride the cauldren + gravecrawer combo to nullify your opponents offense.

SB: -3 Messenger -1 Door +4 vampire nighthawk. Same game plan as before but nighthawk is an allstar on defense while door is too slow and messenger comes out because you want to limit the number of 3 drops you have against aggro decks and lifebane can block the turn it comes into play.

aristocrats decks: Pressure, pressure, pressure. They have walls of tokens and protection creatures to get in the way. The game plan here is to go control and get your prophecy engine going, then spam mutilates and get in with your creatures after each wrath. Also many of their tokens are not black so your intimidators get though frequently.

SB: -1 door -1 sign in blood + 2 curse

Basically same plan as before but now curse can blank half their deck.

Archangel lifegain decks: Keep to the standard strategy of beatdown while setting up the prophesy engine. Hopefully you can tag an angel with lifebane, if not then save your slips for them. Usually you can get to a slip before it gets 13 toughness.

SB: -3 sign in blood - 4 diregraf + 4 nighthawk +1 lifebane + +2 curse if they are playing token generators if not 2 barter in blood.

nighthawk can deal with an angel if they ever get it, usually those decks are light on removal. Lifebane will be awesome since it usually hits in this mu and gets damage though. Curse can blank a lot of cards from the tokens version and barter is good against the non token versions.

Last edited by aqualad33 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

It seems like you missed the sideboard on the match before the last one. I guess is Curse + Vamp+ geralf. (2+2+2) or just curse + geralf.

Also, I dont know if running zombies or undying with stuff like the new Ooze in metagame is a smart choice. Not counting grafdigger and other stuff dont rotate out yet, and they will when the zombies do too. You would need better removal to deal with that guy, a Slip is not enough, when I use that ooze I get the blows and gain life.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad its actually +4 messenger +2 curse, I'll fix that.

As for grave hate, I haven't seen anyone play cage in standard especially when ooze is around. Ooze does not get terribly out of control (not bigger then a 13/13 at least). It's usually within mutilate/slip range.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new version of the deck.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
17 [M14] Swamp
4 [M14] Mutavault
2 [AVR] Cavern of Souls

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
3 [M14] Lifebane Zombie
3 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
4 [ISD] Diregraf Ghoul
3 [DKA] Highborn Ghoul

// Spells
4 [DKA] Tragic Slip
4 [M14] Dark Prophecy
4 [M13] Mutilate
4 [M14] Bubbling Cauldron
3 [M13] Sign in Blood
1 [M14] Door of Destinies

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
SB: 1 [M14] Lifebane Zombie
SB: 3 [M13] Duress
SB: 2 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 4 [M13] Vampire Nighthawk
SB: 1 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
SB: 2 [AVR] Barter in Blood

took out the mopy 2 drops to make it more aggressive. Also added door of destinies as a one of. I wanted a card that I could draw as the match drew on that would close out the game. Considering that my card advantage engine involves recurring gravecrawlers door seemed to have potential. So far every game that in which I have cast it door performed just as expected. Immediately ending the game on the spot.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1