Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposed change: coinflip to determine who wins after time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
thedarkness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moscowdemon wrote:
We already got an [O] answer, discussing this just seems like time wasted.
The reasoning used to try to make a case for having five turns (how is it different than now when we can't track whose turn it is when time is called) is pretty much too short sighted. The fact that we can't be positive at all times is precisely why we don't wish to add MORE turns. If players don't notice for 3 minutes, who is to say they didn't already play out those 5 extra turns (and maybe more)? Having the match simply end when time is noticed by players and the current turn ends is the best way to be fair, minimize cheating the most, and also keep our events running in a timely fashion.
Coin flipping to determine who should win at time seems like a waste of magic playing time. I don't sign up for a tournament to play a 50 minute round to the best of my abilities and end up going to time with an opponent who might not be playing as quickly as I am JUST SO I CAN FLIP A COIN TO SEE IF I WIN. Granted, you could make the claim that highest life is also like flipping a coin, but it actually requires you play meaningful Magic. You could maybe make an argument with most permanents in play (assuming you allow each player to take the same amount of turns in the game using turn order and not counting extra turns, i.e. Time Warp), or even most cards in library or hand, or anything else that REQUIRES Magic play.
Also, allowing coin flips there opens the door too widely to people finding other reasons to want to use coin flips (and other random methods which don't involve magic play) to determine winners. It is illegal according to our PG to randomly determine a winner and doing such will come with a penalty of a disqualification. Why would we create a loophole which can cause a gray area of confusion for players and can lead to DQs of players who have no clue it is illegal some of the time and legal the rest of the time? It just would be too much hassle.
Continue working on your idea. Magic-League will take the time to look at ideas that are well-thought out with very good reasoning for policy change. This is a discussion brought up many times, but not yet with proper research and commitment to SOLVING the problem, but more just shifting the problems.
That's why i edited the OP. Not EVERYONE is continuing to discuss the dead subject, and at least one other good idea has been mentioned. That's why I'm trying to shut people who go off topic up. -.-
___

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand one thing, why can't you track whose turn it is when time is called?
Can't you just look at timestamps in the logs and the timestamp of "time ended" message on IRC?
thedarkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

___ wrote:
I can't understand one thing, why can't you track whose turn it is when time is called?
Can't you just look at timestamps in the logs and the timestamp of "time ended" message on IRC?
Only if you know exactly what time, potentially down to seconds, you two finished connecting to each other in the client. The timer in MWS starts from 00:00:00, and it takes a little while to connect.

Also, you're vastly overestimating the ability of Magic-League's playerbase to perform simple tasks.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3