Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grix control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
BuryurDead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Grix control Reply with quote

So once dgm came out i decided to go grix... heres my list as of now

// Lands
3 [RTR] Blood Crypt
1 [AVR] Desolate Lighthouse
1 [M13] Dragonskull Summit
4 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
1 [RTR] Island (1)
1 [DDK] Mountain (1)
4 [RTR] Steam Vents
4 [ISD] Sulfur Falls
1 [DDK] Swamp (1)
4 [GTC] Watery Grave
1 [ISD] Nephalia Drownyard

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
2 [DGM] AEtherling

// Spells
2 [GTC] Devour Flesh
4 [DDJ] Dissipate
3 [M13] Essence Scatter
4 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
2 [M13] Magmaquake
2 [RTR] Syncopate
4 [ISD] Think Twice
4 [DGM] Far/Away
3 [DGM] Turn/Burn

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M13] Duress
SB: 1 [M13] Jace, Memory Adept
SB: 3 [RTR] Izzet Staticaster
SB: 1 [MGD] Magmaquake
SB: 1 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
SB: 4 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
SB: 3 [DGM] Notion Thief

Deck has been pretty damn solid so far. Ive pretty much blown out every control matchup, RDW, most gruul aggro... Only things really giving me a big stiff is naya humans n when ppl board in slaughter games... with running so few threats they rip me apart like its nothing. Any suggestions for changes in md or sb? nething sort of suggestions would help... ill post more of a deck breakdown in a while once my daughter goes to bed
Terri

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your deck seems pretty slow and turn/burn and far/away are much too overrated. 5 mana spells is not what this deck needs. if you cast them without fuse they are just mediocre. with so many counterpspells you basically concede every game 1 against any deck with cavern of souls and any aggro deck. how do you win against rdw with no lifegain in your 75?
BuryurDead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre right, they are a lil slow but you also have to think, this is a control deck. Im deff not looking for fast wins here. You might say theyre overrated but theyve gotten me out of more binds then i can think of. As for the RDW, unless they get real crazy opening hands, the fuse cards are what save me until u can pop out a quake. Snapcaster blocks and lots of permission. You are right on the CoS though. If they pop that out at the start it is pretty much a fold for me. G2 usualy goes a little more smoothly when i can take out a few of the counters n board in the PoF, Olivia n another quake. I know it might look like it comes up a bit short on paper but sleeve it up and play it sometime. The deck really shines more often then not. Most people dont expect so much permission in standard atm (most decks being mostly aggro and midrange from what ive seen at least).
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't be gracious about constructive feedback, then don't ask for it.
Terri

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you run so many counterspells you need cheaper removal spells like tragic splip or pillar of flame in your maindeck. this way its much easier to kill a creature and have a counterspell open. i played grixis control for a long time and its pretty difficult to find the right mix of cards.
BuryurDead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiReBLT wrote:
If you can't be gracious about constructive feedback, then don't ask for it.

I never said anything bad about his response, just stated why i felt i needed them. He just told me theyre slow n mediocre without any other sort of suggestions or nething else, wouldnt really call that 'constructive feedback'

and goodpoint Terri; ive really been thinking of trying to squeeze at least slip in MD.. maybe pull far/away out for a playset, n replace the turn/burn MD for 3 pof, n keep the t/b n 1 pof in sb.... not quite sure what to do but ill test it out ^_^
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1