Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prerelease

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
magicman85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Prerelease Reply with quote

How did your guy's prereleases go? What colors do you think performed the best?

I chose to go Selesnya because I wanted to be in green for my 4 packs of DGM cards and got Gruul as my ally guild.

I ended up making a Naya mid-range 3-5 mana creature type deck with my rares as the GW enchantment that gives all my creatures +3/+3 and the White 4/4 for 3WW that gives you a 1/1 bird and populate when it enters. The deck went 3-2.

The decks I lost to were Boros and Jund.
The Boros killed me with flying because I didn't have enough early pressure to win the race and I didn't have any reach guys or very much removal to deal with the flying.
The Jund deck beat me with a good amount of removal and small creatures with 1 Madcap Skills.

Tomorrow I think I am going to try for Jund by picking Gruul because out of the 4 possible ally packs (Golg/Rak/Izt/Sel) half of them (Golgari and Rakdos) will put me in Jund.
ErraticMage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Rakdos because they were all out of boros even though I had pre-ordered boros (But the person that took the order put it down wrong.) and I thought boros could splash for all the dragon's maze bombs. (Ruric thar/Exava etc.) (Rakdos was the closest apart from boros, but it meant I had to go 4c to splash any relevant selesnya cards.)

I ended up 4c(No blue) Aggro/midrange with Deadbridge Chant, Ruric thar and Obzedat's aid as my played rares. (Although a number of DGM's commons/uncommons were bombs.)

I ended up going 4-0 and honestly the format has slowed down dramatically. If I could paste a 2-drop into a 3-drop into a 4-drop then Gruul war chant or warleader's helix/Another-good-removal-spell was all I needed to finish the game off most of the time. Ruric thar is literally nearly unbeatable in limited especially if you're holding onto that Obzedat's aid to get him back after the opponent stack blocks him. Obzedat's aid/Ruric Thar are both bombs, Deadbridge Chant was neat the only time I played it, but it's a bad draw if you're near the end of a race, so I prefer the afore mentioned two. (Ruric's reach is very relevant.)

And as to why I think the format has slowed down is because I could play nothing t1-t3 and still hold up pretty well(Not that I did that very often at all,) I didn't see any deck that was less than three colours. Also I saw Teysa at work on other tables and with the format not being as fast anymore she's actually pretty mean. (Whereas I thought originally that she was absolute garbage and wouldn't have even played her if I was playing orzhov and had her.)

Also cluestones look very promising in limited, they ramp early and draw cards late, which is basically what you want out of that sort of card, not a first pick in draft of course, but I definitely wouldn't ever be embarrassed to have a few in my deck. (Unless I was running 2c aggro, which I really doubt I could be in this new meta.)

Oh and cluestones/keyrunes/guildgates/Lantern/prism mean people will have sufficient manafixing to reliably play 4c decks in limited.

Also, with the way things look now, Ogre Gatekeeper is going to be a 4-drop 4/4 90% of the time, and that is definitely something I like to have in my curve. And Zhur-taa druid is something I wouldn't mind first picking, that card does some work. I'm also going to have to keep an eye on Spiked Jester, 3 power that can swing instantly for 2cmc is nothing to laugh at. (I ironically won a game by using obzedat's aid to get a spiked jester back from my graveyard which would normally be a terrible play but happened to be that last little bit of power that I needed at the time.)

Basically I'm really, really looking forward to DGM limited.
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chosen Azorius + Orzhov and ended up with Esper deck.

My pool had:
Sphinx of Chimes
3BW 4/4 pro black pro white
obzedat
new morphlin 4UU 4/5 crazy man

Also noticable 5 gates, 2 keystones, and two guys 2/4 that draw for two gates

Lost a single game due to color screw, easy top8.

Top 8 we had a draft DMZ-GTC-RTR. Let say this set is insane for draft not that stupid as GTC is )))))) have won 1st place, great thing )
Halldir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked Orzhov (wanted boros but in the end switched)
as ally got golgari- got Abrubt decay, then high priest of penance and from boosters was playable Ready/Willing (rly rly imba card for limited)
- splashed red for two warleader's helix
- went 5-0 and won tour Smile
LerYy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choosed Golgari (secret Ally was Simic)

My Rares from golgari was Deathrite Shaman and Gyre Sage.

From the 4 DGM boosters I got an epic BLOOD BARON and ATHERLING Very Happy the decision was easy to go for 3colours and splash a white in it becasue of the blood baron and 2 Sin Collector.

I played 12 basic lands 4 guild gates and 3 stones, on low curve the simic evolvers and at high curve blood baron or aetherling which I got very fast though my blue black divination and other cycle spells. Beetleform Mage was a really powerful card which helped me with to keep early pressure.

We were 56 people and I made the 3rd place with 5-1 loosing to the secound place in round 2.

This was the most exciting prerelease I ever played it made so fun to play 4 colours and see that the mana fixing is just FINE !

I hope you guys enjoyed it too.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in two.

Friday (midnight):
Picked Izzet and got Boros. Pool had Mercurial Chemister for Izzet but I also got Master of Cruelty and the Rakdos Blood Witch + the blue/black fuse [bounce/sac] so I went 4 colors like a baller. I finished 4-1 and got 7th =/.

Sunday:
Went Azorious and got Orzhov as my ally. Ended up not using the Azorious when I opened Blood Baron, Teysa, One Thousand Latches, Debt to the Deathless, and other Orzhov goodies. Finished 4-0-1 and got like 20ish packs which had Ral Zarek, Sacred Foundry, Breeding Pool and other goodies.
Scuta04

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked orzhov got selesnya as my ally.. got servitute in my orz pack and mana bloom in my seles.. didnt play either but had sick populate in the RTR... pulled ready/willing in my dgm stuff and it dominated. only played it as one spell one time.. i saw it really often it was nasty. couple putrefy sealed the deal for all rounds but one where i drew 13lands 7 non both games in true me fashion to piss off the win.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1