Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC - 200! (Judged!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Uroboros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the submissions till now look awesome... i wont be at home tonight so i will judge tomorrow night, 24 hours more, ty for you effort.
Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refined Studies U

Instant - Rare

Draw a card for each other card you have drawn this turn.
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image Source
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inevitable Deed - WW
Sorcery (Rare)
At the end of the next turn, destroy all creatures, they can't be regenerated.
Alea iacta sund
Domine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looooooove the flavor text CMA-Flippi
Uroboros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, time to judge, several great submissions and a great flavour overall of the "philosophy" thing.

Quote:

Livermush

Tome of Chemistry | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1R, tap: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

The Corpus Aristotelicum, the collected works of Artistotle, including his banned books on alchemy and hermetic principle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Medicine | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1W, tap: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

The Hippocratic Corpus, the collected works of Hippocrates of Kos and the largest source of information on medicine in the ancient world.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Divination | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1U, tap: Scry 1. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

On Divination, Book 1, by Cicero. A collection of the practices of divination among the Egyptian, Roman, and Greek cultures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Biology | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1G, tap: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it and put it into your hand You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

Naturalis Historia by Pliny the Elder. Includes everything from botany to zoology.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Necronomicon | 2
Legendary Artifact - Tome (Mythic Rare)

2BB, tap: Put a 5/5 black demon token with flying onto the battlefield. You lose half your life rounded down. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

Bound with flesh and written in blood. Through each civilization this book has passed, Sumeria, Babylon, each time leaving nothing in it's wake.

Excellent submission, captures the feel of the challenge, i feel like the R,G tomes should have been 3,T and the blue one 3,T scry 2, but overall, balanced and great flavour text.

The idea of moar tomes= moar power feels right, also the necronomicon is so cool as a card idea that deserves a great score.

8,5/10

Quote:

ck3gds

Culmination of Intellect 3U

Enchantment (rare)

Whenever another player draws a card, you may put a study counter on Culmination of Intellect.

Remove all study counters from Culmination of Intellect and sacrifice it: Draw a card for each study counter removed this way. You skip your next turn.

Balanced, interesting card, i don't like the "skip your next turn" drawback, is not needed for a 4cmc card that does "nothing" and needs at least 2 turns to get a minimal card advantage, but the idea is cool.

6.5/10

Quote:

_Godica

Flames of Empiricism BR

Enchantment - Rare

Each player draws an additional card at the beginning of his or her draw step.

Whenever a player casts a spell, they discard their hand.

"If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames, for it contains nothing but sophistry and illusion."
-- David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

I love that card, reminds me one old card that my mind is unable to find, but anyway i would love to play this card, is powerful, is totally in the flavour of the challenge, would be a powerhouse in almost any format and even get decks dedicated... great, great job.

9/10

Quote:

aule

Alotarus, Philosopher | 1UUU
Planeswalker - Alotarus | Mythic
+1 - Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
-2 - Return target permanent to its owner's hand. That player puts a card from his or her hand on top of his or her library.
-7 - You get an emblem with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy." and "Whenever you copy a spell, draw a card."
//4

I was somewhat surprised of the lack of "philosophers" in the submissions as planeswalkers, plato would have been a heck of a planeswalker, Alotarus seems also cool, too blue for my taste, but powerful enough to become a powerhouse in standard and modern... good card, good job.

8,5/10

Quote:

Pseudospot

Theatre of Debates

Land (rare)

T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

T, tap three untapped creatures you control: Draw a card.

Every time the wise set down with blessed food and smoking euphoria, the wisdom of our people increased. Not necessarily by something useful, but it increased.

Excellent, elegant, totally in the flavour of the challenge, doesn't really need to be rare, because almost every ancient city had one of those, the agoras, yet... i can totally buy the card and love the flavor text, great submission.

8/10

Quote:

Stucco

Empirical Advantage.............1URR
Instant................................R

Choose 2 - Untap target permanent and gain control of it until the end of turn; or Empirical Advantage deal 2 damage to each creature; or Empyrical Advantage deal 3 damage to each player for each card he or she has drawn this turn.

"Mathematics has a tendency to embarrass the ignorant and glorify the ingenious." - Niv Mizzet

I like the card idea and really buy the 2 first modes... the 3rd wouldve a little more balanced with 1 instead of 3... with 3 is almost a win condition right now, yet... is a printable card and the niv mizzet sentence is awesome, good job.

8/10

Quote:

Domine

Philosophy 2UU

Enchanment - Rare

Creatures you control can't attack or block. You have no maximum hand size.

Blue noncreature spells you play cost U less to play

At the beginning of your upkeep draw a card.

A masters degree in philosophy is like the coolest degree of them all, and im glad you liked the challenge, feels kinda embarrassing to be an uneducated random dude from the internet Smile your card is WAY too powerful, almost unprintable, would make draw&go decks almost unbeatable or at least, as annoying as they were in the times of capsize, other than that... i would kill to be able to play that card Smile

7/10

Quote:

cdubs

Cyclical Universe - 5UUUU

Sorcery - Mythic

Each player shuffles his or her hand, graveyard, and permanents into their owners library, then draws 7 cards. Each player's life total becomes 20.

9cmc restart the game... i don't know what to think about this card, if you have 9 avalible blue mana and you are still alive... why the heck do you want to restart the game? and the reference to the challenge is tangencial at best :/

3/10

Quote:

AxiomBlurr

Gospel of the Enlightenment 4WW

Instant - Rare

Destroy target non white permanent. Then Search your library for a card called Gospel of the Enlightenment, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

We will purge the pagan superstitions of the masses and move into an age of divine theology. - Decree from the Pulpit.

Really interesting card, it could probably see play in standard in control decks, also the theme of theology vs knowledge has been a 2000 years fight, great card, balanced in cost and power.

8/10

Quote:

sc4rs

Arbiter of Philosophy
3UW
Creature - Human Scholar - Rare
As Arbiter of Philosophy enters the battlefield, each player chooses hedonism or nihilism.
Players who chose hedonism gain 5 life at the beginning of their upkeep.
Players who chose nihilism draw a card at the beginning of their upkeep.
2/5

Lovely card, pure balance in cost/power, the ability is original and in line with the challenge, its probably unplayable in any format other than limited, a 5 CmC dude that doesnt kill your opponent and makes him draw each turn... still is in line with other "arbiters".

7,5/10

Quote:

thelemys
Sophia, Prisoner of Equity 1UB
Legendary Creature - Human R
Hexproof
If a player would draw a card, each player draw a card instead.
If a player would discard a card, each player discard a card instead.Equality is not Fairness.
0/1

I fell in love with your card in the right moment i put my eyes on her... its a thing of beauty... and the chick is not bad either Wink i can't name a single defect of this card, power, casting cost, effect, playability... is perfect and i would love to see a card like this printed, also the flavour text... is simply awesome, pure truth, you won this round, sir!

10/10

Quote:

iSperia

Sophism - UU
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a player casts a spell, counter all other spells
Every his word sounds as a reasonable argument

Funny card, real funny and in case of being printed, could become a really annoying mechanic for a deck, the flavour for the challenge is perfect, the flavor text... needs better wording Razz

8/10

Quote:

GreenBear
Goblin Philosophy RR - Enchantment Rare

Whenever an opponent draws a card goblin philosophy deal's 1 damage to that opponent.

'Some cultures have a rich tapestry of philosophies vying for intellectual supremacy. Goblin's have but one philosophy and there is nothing intellectual about it at all.'

A cheaper, red underworld dreams, could work, because despite the popularity of UD in his time, never was really a staple in competitive decks, more a casual decks card, in red could become more played, the text of the card is probably at the same level of great than the winner one... good job, not really original, but good.

8,5/10

Quote:

doc_morriar

Elvish Lore 2UG
Enchantment

Whenever a player casts a spell, counter it unless they draw cards equal to the number of creatures you control

Weird card, so spells are countered unless players draw a stupid amount of cards? sry, i can't see it, the amount of drawing this card allows is "1 card combo" like... unprintable.

4/10

Quote:

Dev

Refined Studies U

Instant - Rare

Draw a card for each other card you have drawn this turn.

Elegant card, i think is a little too powerful for a U cantrip, but its printable and would be a staple card in every blue deck, and is in line with the general idea of the challenge, good card.

8/10

Quote:

DR_Moo

Patience - 2UU (Rare)
Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 0. If you do, draw a card and you can't play spells this turn.

A refined, printable and yet still powerful version of Domine's card, i'd still play this in draw & go decks, but it wouldnt wreck the the metas... i miss flavor text and general flavour, patience is not limited to philosophy but ok.

7/10

Quote:

Bairdsy

Passionate student
UR Rare

Human wizard

whenever a player play a spell from their hand that player draws a card.
2/1

Good Gandhi quote, i love the drawing... but this card has too much smell to combo for WOTC nowadays, for example in an affinity deck he can play the whole deck in t1... sry, but is unprintable.

5/10

Quote:

CMA-Flippy

Inevitable Deed - WW
Sorcery (Rare)
At the end of the next turn, destroy all creatures, they can't be regenerated.
Alea iacta sund.

A delayed Wog, i would be more confortable with WW1 cost, i feel that is a little too cheap and too powerful for a 2cmc card, btw the flavour is good for the challenge and obviously as a card this would be a powerhouse in everyformat, too powerful.

7/10

And that's it, thelemys is the winner of the 200! challenge, but the average level of the submissions was astonishing, great job everybody!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thank you for this!
not sure my card is that perfect, but I worked on it to do my best.
I go post the next, gg all.
Domine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool winner, don't worry, I don't really think Wizard would print that, it's really overpowered but so is Philosophy =D gg go go next CaC
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2