Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 197 - Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: CAC 197 - Judged Reply with quote

I will judge using a ten point scale, don't pay too much attention to it. But I have to grade them somehow for myself instead of just going with a gut feeling.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Black Sheep - GW (Rare)
Creature - Sheep
Other creatures you control are 2/2 sheeps.
After all, the wool of a black sheep is just as warm.
3/3

This fits mechanically and seems in a way balanced, being an up or a downside depending on the deck. Giving it a black color marker or making it WB just to fit the name might have been too cute, so valid decision as it is.
Not sure if the flavor text really was a plus with the mechanics as they work. The name has lots of flavor on it's own and the first associations and the mechanics are about the Black Sheep sticking out while the quote relates to it having the same qualities.
7/10

Uroboros wrote:

Loyal mastiff. 1W

Hound (uncommon)

Loyal mastiff gains +1 +1 and first strike as long as its controller has 10 or less life.

"I can count with one hand the soldiers i'd choose over my dog in times of need..." Takeno, Konda's general.

2/2

This could possibly be a strong common with todays power of creatures. But it works as a mediocre uncommon as well.
The hound defending it's master is strong flavor and the stats seem in line with other hounds.
6/10

LerYy wrote:
Torpedo Penguin UUU

Penguin (Mythic)

(tap) Torpedo Penguin deals 3 damage to target creautre or player.

If you control 5 or more islands torpedo penguin deals 5 damage instead.

"I like fish...*-*"

1/2

Wrong part of the color pie. Joke flavor. Overall not an entry that tried to win and it won't.
2/10

_Godica wrote:
Springvale Hare W

Creature - Hare (Common)

You may not cast ~ if you control any snow permanents.

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a token into play that's a copy of ~.

0/1

When the ice melts, the rabbits come out.

I think the correct allready existing creature type would have been Rabbit. But otherwise a good entry flavorwise.
A bit complicated and annoying for a common.
The snow line is flavorfull but would only have impact in very few formats. Even those with snow permanents in them.
5/10 (Mostly for balancing reasons)

Domine wrote:
Swift Mongoose - G

Creature - Mongoose

Shroud, Haste

Tap: Add G to your mana pool.

"As fast as it gets"

1/1

Rare

Yes, it's much more powerful than Llanowar Elves, I know, but with the power creep as it is, this is, in my eyes, printable.

I agree, this could be printable under certain circumstance and would be an all format staple after, like noble hierach. Mongoose cards have a history of representing being fast with Shroud, so that works in that tradition, as does haste. Adding mana is just in green's corner and should work. Solid overall
6/10

Fefestars wrote:
Slippery Eel - 1U

Creature - Eel (Rare)

meander - tap an untapped creature you control: Slippery Eel is unblockeble this turn.

Whenever Slippery Eel deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.

"Are you able to hold it in your hand? Yeah, me neither..." -- Ahab, Fisherman of the Sea

2/1

Eel should be Fish as a type. Not sure if Meander needed a keyword or if it was the right word. But it looks doable and fits the creature. Solid guy overall and the meander part seems eely enough with the card drawing adding appeal and being generally blue.
Using "Ahab" and "Fisherman of the Sea" do not help the flavor text. Another name or just "[Place Name] Fisherman" might have worked better.
6/10

Dr_Moo wrote:
Simic Aberration (Rare) - 1UG
Creature - Platypus

Evolve, Deathtouch, Islandwalk

G, T: Put a copy of Simic Aberration onto the battlefield. Play this ability only if Simic Aberration has three or more +1/+1 counters on it.

1/2

What does this thing do?

It'd be easier to tell you what it doesn't do.

It is a Playtpus so the joke works. Falvoring it as a Simic experiment that grows and grows takes it a little out of the natural animal territory but not too far.
It is a rare that makes you work a little but then can become really good. I probably would like opening it in GTC Wink
Seems balanced. The flavor text works this time.
Not sure how the swarming aspect especially relates to Platypusses.
6/10

PantheismFTW wrote:
Savage Apes RR

Uncommon

Creature - Ape Berserker

Haste, Reach, Trample.

"They are why we travel only in groups and by day, even more than the vampires"

3/1

Yeah nocturnal murder apes are scary. I can see that work. Reach seems a bit out of place. Encouraging an otherwise purely agressive creature to stay back and block and not really fitting red's part of the color pie. The first part can be seen as an upside too giving them defensive untility. Not too exciting overall
5/10

Livermush wrote:
Reduce to Savagery | {r/g}
Enchantment (Rare)

All Human creatures become Savage in addition to their other types.

At the beginning of each combat phase, flip a coin. If heads, each human fights another creature of your choice. If tails, each human attacks if able.

"Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town." - George Carlin

Fitting quote from a suprising source. The creature type change does not really matter if the card keeps on refferencing Humans. It could have been like Boldwyr Intimidator who uses a unique creature type as a marker as well.
The way it is the Savage line is even more flavor text.
Going for the animalistic instincts of humans for this challenge was unexpected but a good move.
Too bad it is used on what in most cases just will be a narrow hate card. With a bit of a low cost too.
4/10

Bairdsy wrote:

Image Source

While soulbond seems like the wrong descriptive word for this ability, its a perfect fit mechanically so I think I can get away with it.

That works. But sadly you did not choose the creature type Horse and we only know from the picture that it is supposed to be one. Mechanically it could be any fantastical creature the Warrior rides around.
Cool enough as a representation of a mount though. Might be on the lower end of power for Uncommons. I can easily see it as common.
5/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Algorian Condor 1UU

Creature - Bird (uncommon)

Flying

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, scry 2

2/2

It works as a general bird that flies around and let's you gain information by doing so. I am not aware of Condors being especially known for that but it does not contradict the flavor either. Just solid.
6/10

Stucco wrote:
Jotokan Goats.................2R
Creature - Goat...............U

Whenever Jotokan Goats or another goat you control deals combat damage to a player, you may put a graze counter on target land.

Lands with graze counters produce 1 instead of their normal quantity and type as long as Jotokan Goats remains on the battlefield.

2/2

The wording and templating on the second ability is a little off. But I get what it is supposed to do. Goats eating ressources are a cool implementation of flavor as well. The herd aspect with the tribal themed ability is nice too.
Multiples of that card hitting a player are rather opressice however, as long as one of them survives to keep the lands grazed.
Might have wanted to be a rare possibly. I still like it.
6/10

ShamedShadow wrote:
Vast Swarm 1G

Creature - Insect

Multikicker 1G (You may pay an additional 1G any number of times as you cast this spell.)

Flying

When Vast Swarm enters the battlefield, put a token that is a copy of it onto the battlefield for each time it was kicked.

2/2

Good idea how to create a swarm card. But missing the rarity and either way it is out of the color pie for green to have 2/2 fliers for two that can spill out even more fliers. Black might have been a better fit or different costs. The way it is wasted potential.
3/10

sc4rs wrote:
Undershade Panther
1BB
Creature - Cat - Rare
Undershade Panther's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Swamps you control.
If you control 7 or more Swamps, Undershade Panther has intimidate and lifelink.
0/0

Not sure about the flavor here. Why a cat gets more dangerous with Swamps around. Being a better Nightmare might be fitting for a rare card but I do not get too excited about it either.
4/10

thelemys wrote:
Art: http://j0sh-3000.deviantart.com/art/mole-thing-168002501
Quote:
Angry Mole
Creature - Mutant R
Haste
You may cast Angry Mole from your graveyard, but not from anywhere else.
Sacrifice Angry Mole at the end of your turn.
Away from the sun, chomping at the bit.
3/1

It is missing the casting cost in your text, good thing it was included in the picture.
Making the graveyard work as underground flavorwise seems like a good idea and is appreciated.
The always returning part might not be especially moleish but seems cool enough.
Powerful card but good entry overall.
7/10

aule wrote:
West Nile Swarm - BG
Sorcery - Mythic

Pay any amount of life. For every three life paid this way, target player gets a poison counter.

They may be small, but there is little more lethal.

Not too magicy a name but I see what you were going for. Noncreature sure is a way to go for an infectious insect swarm.
The card pretty much is "I win" for liefgain and poison decks and would work very early. Seems too good as is. A cost more along the lines of Hatred would have made me like it more, still a good afford.
5/10

Balaviaris wrote:
Resistant Heliobacterium 2WB

Enchantment - Aura - Uncommon

Enchant Creature

Enchanted Creature gets -2/-2. At the beginning of each upkeep enchanted creature's controller loses 2 life.

When Resistant Heliobacterium is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return it to its owner's hand.

Not sure if a bacterium really counts in the Animal category I imagined but as it is this works. Why plagues are white would be a flavor question with the cost. Green as another enchantment color could have worked better there.
Being a better Stab Wound sure makes the cards something to look out for.
5/10

Rockets wrote:
Birds of Prey 2RW

Rare

Creature - Bird

Haste

Whenever Birds of Prey attacks, you may have it deal damage equal to target creature equal to that creature's power. If a creature dealt damage by Birds of Prey dies this turn, Birds of Prey does not untap during your next untap step.

2/3

The sentence with the two equals is worded weirdly but again I get what is should be doing.
The flavor of the bird killing and eating things works out well and the rarity is the correct one. Agressive recurring removal is something to look out for but in an age of planeswalkers a conditional card like this does not ring my alarm bells.
7/10

ck3gds wrote:
Annoying Woodpecker 1U

Creature Bird (rare)

Flying

X: Put a peck counter on Annoying Woodpecker. X is the number of peck counters on Annoying Woodpecker.

T: Target player put the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is twice the number of peck counters on Annoying Woodpecker.

It just pecks and pecks and pecks and pecks and pecks...

1/1

Yep insanity is a flavor of Mill so that works with the woodpecker.
Strong Mill card too if you invest the mana in it. Would be a bit of a bomb in limited and a potential control finisher.
7/10

I give the win to Rockets with his Birds of Prey. In second place I see CMA-Flippi with the Black Sheep
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black sheep is in its own way unique to the other sheeps as it's bigger than the rest Smile
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_Moo wrote:
The "make another platypus" ability was meant to represent laying an egg, which is why it can't do it until it's big.

My mind did not jump there. But yeah! That is good.

CMA-Flippi wrote:
The black sheep is in its own way unique to the other sheeps as it's bigger than the rest Smile

Exactly and I did not feel like the flavor text supported that.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG, go next
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockets didnt post a challenge yet, If he doesnt do so within next 24 hours, I (as 2nd place^^) will make one. - Any objections?
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from me.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go go go
Rockets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, dropped the ball on that one Razz Sorry! Thanks for picking me as the winner though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1