Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great idea: We need moar funny format 8-mans!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
Fefestars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Great idea: We need moar funny format 8-mans! Reply with quote

I often/sometimes see a judge run an 8-man with a funny/unusual format like Filth Casserole or Commander. And I would love to play those formats (as the judge who hosted it), but the main-problem is that even after one hour there are only 3-5 people in this tournament and so it gets canceled.

I think that's because...

1. People don't know anything about this format. There are new guys that don't know anything about formats and cards. And there are old guys that think "uhm, no thank you, i wanna play stupid cube that suxx but I love it".

2. A new format is a new format and because of this you need a lot of time to get into it and to build a deck. So lets say you join #magic-league and see "oh Rainbow Stairwell 8-man, 20 mins to go" and you start building. And after half an hour you're like "okay, my deck is bad but i'm gonna play either way...oh wait...it got canceled......*sad face*"

I'm sure there are more points but you guys should get what I'm talking about. So here is my solution for this:

If you are a judge and you know you like casual formats and you know you'd like to run some crazy 8-mans in the near future - use the forum and announce it!

"Hey guys, next saturday in the afternoon i'm going to do some 8-man 60-card-singleton-standard tournaments. Here is the link to the format description. See you around in chat..." - If you know you have the time and you'd like your favourite format to happen just make sure there is enough time to build a deck and there is enough time for people to gather. And it doesnt even have to be that specific: "hey guys, i'm going to do some pauper 8-mans in the next few weeks, so be ready!" - it helps a lot and makes your tournaments fill!

I know that there is RFT that's somewhat popular and I think its a good way to go. But it only works because its announced in the forum and because of that people have time to build their deck and think about it.
Halldir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: good idea Reply with quote

I'm rly missing tribal wars and also sealed decks with old blocks or with mix of totally random blocks.
we should setup few constructed fun formats and try to work on banlist etc. to make them balanced and working.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately it comes down to the level of support it has. Random Format Tournaments used to be popular, but with the reduction in active players the support has dried up. Same for MYOS, Precon Wars, etc.

I think the idea of posting on the forums is an interesting one, but due to the narrowed band of activity on Magic-League (it's now around 4am-12pm my time as opposed to 4am-4pm previously) it's not as easy to predict availability.

The best bets at the moment would be:

1. Get more judges so there are more tournaments in general. This is something staff are looking at, but will take time to implement. More judges will mean more tournaments, more tournaments will mean more active players and more players sticking around longer, which mean the active period will extend back towards twelve hours. This will give a broader window with which to gather support for Other formats.

2. Get more players into Magic-League in general. This is an area where Magic-League as a whole will really need to sit down and figure out a comprehensive plan, but more players will mean more people to woo over. The best bet to achieve this in the meantime is to bring friends across, and advertise such as signatures in forum profiles.

Bottom line: It's doable, but more needs to be done than just posting times in advance on the forums in order to get the support needed.
Fefestars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bottom line: It's doable, but more needs to be done than just posting times in advance on the forums in order to get the support needed.

Yes, I agree 100% with your post. But I think its a good way to start.

Lets give an example: I'm playing around 12am - 12pm CET. And tbh mostly when d3m0n is going crazy with 8-man minis. He does T2, Cube (suxx!) and RTR/GTC Sealed. And here and there a modern 8-man.

I dont know what his favourite format is but lets say its Rainbow Stairwell. But he never gets to play it coz noone knows that format. But when he writes a post "hey guys, gonna do some Rainbow Stairwell next week - here is the link" then the chance to fire an 8-man increases.

But I think I know what I need to do to get more funny 8-mans: I'm gonna own the Judge Test in a few days and start making funny 8-mans on my own.

Mark my words, you read it here first!
Halldir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Judges Reply with quote

we really need new judges... Hello to yesterday's trial!!Smile
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Judges Reply with quote

Halldir wrote:
we really need new judges... Hello to yesterday's trial!!Smile

What's the old saying? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Halldir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:0 Judicator Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1