Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cac 195 - Mill enabler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivering Grimace
UU
Creature - Spirit
Rare

U: Each opponent puts cards equal to Shivering Grimace's power from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard, then switch Shivering Grimace's power and thoughness until end of turn.

1/4
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that this CaC challenge was at best very difficult and at worst impossible when I set it - but challenges breed creativity. Overall I'm a bit underwhelmed by the submissions, but it seems most were underwhelmed by the challenge. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

ck3gds wrote:

Memory Devourer 2UB
Creature Horror (mythic)
Whenever a player casts a spell, target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
3/2

This is a nice enough card but it doesn't do much for the milling strategy in constructed. It comes down too late to help against aggro decks and doesnt do much against control either.
7/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Glimpse the Unthinkable UB
Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
I thought Wizards would be creatures of science. But they only seem to experiment senselessly. Never repeating their mistakes or successes alike.

Lol - nice thinking outside the box. Glimpse might actually be a help to constructed mill decks, given that they already have Mind Sculpt as well, but this IS Create a Card, not Recycle a Card.
5/10

Livermush wrote:
Mist-Defying Wall | 1U
Creature - Illusion (Rare)
Flying, Defender
Whenever Mist-Defying Wall is dealt damage, target opponent reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal X land cards where X is the damage dealt to Mist-Defying Wall, then they put all cards revealed this way into their graveyard.
0/5

This seems to me to be a really well thought out submission. It helps put the brakes on against aggro decks, and although it doesnt do much against control or midrange decks it IS a wall and that leads to interesting deck possibilities with Doorkeeper et. al. I also love the name.
8.5/10

ikazuchi wrote:
Mnemonix, the Unfathomable 1UB
Planeswalker Mnemonix (Mythic)
[+1]: Each player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, then exile all creature cards put in graveyard this way.
[-2]: Target opponent reveals the top thirteen cards of his or her library. You choose one of those cards and put it into his or her hand. Put the rest into his or her graveyard.
[-5]: You get an emblem with "If a card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead." and "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, that player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard."
[3]

Im not sure what to make of this one. The first ability seems ok, but the exile seems out of place or a bit forced. I dont get why you choose one of the cards in the second ability - it would be better if they chose, or if they milled 12 and drew 1. The ultimate would be fine with either of the emblems but both also seems like trying to do too much at once - although thats probably my own fault given the challenge.
8/10

pg8 wrote:
Thought Slicer - 1B
Creature -- Human Rogue (Uncommon)
Defile (If this would deal damage to a player, instead that player exiles that many cards from the top of his or her library)
3/3

Defile is a mildly interesting mechanic, but that card does nothing for the mill strategy in constructed.
6/10

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Szadek, Ethereal Lord - 2UB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Spirit (Mythic)
Hexproof
Whenever a card is put into an opponents graveyard from their library, you may search its owner's graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with the same name as that card and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
1/4

A nice submission but completely broken without a "nonland" clause. I also dont think he helps vs aggro and is too easily removed vs control.
6.5/10

Stucco wrote:
Dementia Stone.......................2
Artifact...................................R
If a player would put the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard, that player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard instead.

I didnt expect to be saying this, but I think this might be going too far on the power scale. It certainly would make a mill deck plausible, and probably playable.
8.5/10

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Soulstone of Agyrem {3}
Artifact - Rare
[Tap] : [Each player puts the top X cards from his or her library to his or her graveyard where X is the number of cards in his or her hand.]
You don't want to know too much about the District of Agyrem.

The biggest problem for a mill deck is dealing with aggro decks that empty their hand fast and this does nothing against that sort of deck.
5.5/10

_Godica wrote:
Psychic Terror UB
Creature - Horror (Rare)
Whenever ~ is dealt damage by a source, that source's controller exiles that many cards from the top of his or her library.
Exile the top five cards of your library: regenerate ~.
If ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead exile it.
0/3
Some memories are so traumatic the mind buries them in a place beyond recovery.

I like the twist in that it exiles the cards rather than puts them in the graveyard, and it certainly helps against all of the gy recursion in standard. That said, it just doesnt DO much. Its only a 0/3 so its not going to get damaged that much without dying, which is what you want if its going to have value as a mill engine. Maybe the triggered ability for the mill should have been a replacement effect to replace the damage with the mill?
7/10

Dr_Moo wrote:
Stone to Flames - 2UU (Rare)
Enchantment
Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from his or her library, Stone to Flames deals 1 damage to that player.

Okay, so this makes milling playable, but it also makes it no longer milling, so I dont know how to treat it. I think I was clear when I said that depleting the library should be the path to victory, whereas this lets you win by just killing them.
6/10

iSperia wrote:
Szadek of the Dusk - U/B U/B
Planeswalker - Szadek (mythic)
+1: Target player put the top three cards from his or her library into his or her library
-2: You may play target sorcery or instant card in opponent's graveyard without paying its mana cost
-5: Target player loses 1 life for each card in his or her graveyard
[3]

I think that first ability should put cards into the graveyard, no?
The -5 ability seems a bit too strong for something you could do on turn 4 with no accelleration, plus it wins by killing them, not milling them.
7.5/10

Domine wrote:
Psychoanalysis 1U
Sorcery
Target opponent draws 20 cards.
When inspiration does not come to me, I go halfway to meet it.
Sigmund Freud

Rare

Im not sure if this would be good or not, and for something that I think would probably be good, that makes it awesome. Its certainly powerful, but it probably gives your opponent exactly what they need to deal with it which makes for an interesting tension.
9/10

thelemys wrote:

Nice card, and props for finding an image which suits the card perfectly. Well done also for taking things out of UB, which no-one else did. Making this WB and powering it with gain life takes the mill strategy in an entirely new direction, which would help against aggro and being an enchantment makes this at least a bit harder to remove.
9/10

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Cryptmind Geist UB
Creature - Spirit Wizard - Rare
When Cryptmind Geist enters the battlefield, target player puts the top three cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
UB, Return Cryptmind Geist to its owner's hand: draw a card.
1/3
I see needles, bones and fish, puppets, rings and wishes.

hmm, milling, card drawing and chump blocking every turn - I see how this could help. A deceptively subtle answer.
8.5/10

Omnom wrote:
Jace's Raven U
Instant (Uncommon)
Target opponent puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
It plucks away at the mind, instead of the body

This might help in some late game situations but I dont think it is strong enough to make any impact on standard.
6.5/10

LerYy wrote:
Disturbed Spirit UB
Creature - Spirit (Rare)
Whenever Disturbed Spirit deals combat damage to a player, that player puts twice that much cards from his or her libary into his or her greaveyard.
Flying, hexproof.
3/1

An interesting card, especially loaded up with Cipher for extra effects if and when it hits. The hexproof is absolutely necessary also. It seems too good for UB, but at any increased cost it wouldn't do enough.
8.5/10

MagusGee wrote:
Psychic Torment, U B/2 B/2
Enchantment, M
Whenever a player would put cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard, that player also puts Y, where Y is half the number of cards sent to the graveyard this way.
... and still insists he sees the ghosts."

I dont see how this would work - are we supposed to count the number of cards being milled just in case someone plays this on a later turn?
5/10

Canabiest wrote:
Shivering Grimace
UU
Creature - Spirit
Rare
U: Each opponent puts cards equal to Shivering Grimace's power from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard, then switch Shivering Grimace's power and thoughness until end of turn.
1/4

Another reasonable submission that provides a mana sink and useful mill in the late game, while hopefully slowing down some aggro early on. Loses a little bit for being easily removed though.
8/10

Summary
So it comes down to domine's Psychoanalysis or thelemys' Tears of Regret. I like the possibilities opened up by the WB card more, so I award this challenge to thelemys
Thelemys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was'nt expecting to win.
Thanks and let's go next CAC.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... yes.
I feel kinda bad to look like i want to troll you, but this is just a shout out to WotC to #&%"+ reprint this card already.
Livermush

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with Tears of Regret is that it doesn't fit a mill strategy. There are no other white or black cards which could be played with it to continue the mill strategy, so it would simply be having 4 mill cards in a 56-card aggro deck.
Domine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you got the point of the card, nice judging, thanks, go next CaC =)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2