Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barren Glory combo

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
pg8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Barren Glory combo Reply with quote

I'm planning on actually doing some paper Legacy events soon. And sooner or later, I'm going to get bored of playing Dredge or Stoneblade every time. So, I'm going to try to get this deck together in paper:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [A] Scrubland
1 [R] Plains (2)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [R] Bayou
4 [8E] Swamp (1)
2 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Creatures
4 [UD] Academy Rector
4 [NPH] Hex Parasite

// Spells
1 [FUT] Barren Glory
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
1 [ROE] Near-Death Experience
4 [VI] Kaervek's Spite
4 [TE] Lotus Petal
1 [LG] Moat
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
4 [A] Dark Ritual
2 [MI] Worldly Tutor
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
2 [LRW] Thoughtseize

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 1 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 4 [SC] Xantid Swarm
SB: 3 [B] Swords to Plowshares
SB: 1 [GP] Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 1 [DK] Tormod's Crypt

For those of you who haven't seen this wonderful thing in action: I've entered about 2 tournaments on here. Current win rate: 75%. Projected win rate in reality: 25%. The deck wins by resolving Academy Rector. Then, you either play Kaervek's Spite and win with Barren Glory or Hex Parasite and win with Near Death Experience (assuming you find another sac outlet). Dark rit and Lotus Petal are because this deck isn't actually fast enough to do anything against real decks and sometimes gets free turn 2 wins. Top is the only real way to filter that I could find, and it works well with the excessive amount of fetches that are necessary with Near Death.

So... before I start trading for this, anyone want to give any suggestions? I'm fine with bad suggestions, it's a bad deck. I just want to see if I can maybe beat a person or two with it at fairly competitive Legacy events (assuming that it's the typical top-tier meta).

As for matchups (based on MWSplay):

RUG is difficult. Far too many counters to strip, plus Lightning Bolt. Fetching Moat then waiting for Spite is the only real option.

Non-blue aggro decks are actually good matchups if you find Rector quickly, unless they have Qasali Pridemage. As per usual, resolving Rector is usually a win.

Stax isn't a real deck. (kidding, Steveman) But seriously, Humility is game over.

This deck cannot currently beat an Extirpate. This is a problem.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure this deck would benefit from 4 Cavern of Souls. You always need to resolve the Rector (at least, from what I can tell at least 80% of the time), and Cavern shuts down counterspells.

I also feel like Lion's Eye Diamond has a place in this deck. Perhaps even over Lotus Petal. It's Dark Ritual 5 through 8, and it does part of Barren Glory's requirements for you. LED also lets you hit Rector really early on as well, Turn 1 if you so chose.

Moat feels out of place, as does the NDE + Hex Parasite combo. Maybe it's just personal preference, but overall I think I would play a list something like this:

//Lands (24)
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
3 [A] Scrubland
1 [R] Plains (2)
3 [ONS] Polluted Delta
2 [8E] Swamp (1)
1 [8E] Island (1)
4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
3 [A] Underground Sea
1 [A] Tundra
2 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Creatures (4)
4 [UD] Academy Rector

//Spells (32)
1 [FUT] Barren Glory
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
4 [VI] Kaervek's Spite
4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
3 [MI] Worldly Tutor
4 [A] Dark Ritual
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
4 [CMD] Brainstorm
2 [10E] Wrath of God

Sideboard I'm not going to worry about cuz those aren't my strong point.

Adding blue for Brainstorm seems like a solid switch. You might go as far as to add some Force of Wills, I'm not sure those would play unless you went heavier into blue.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED not equal to Dark Ritual. With LED you have to discard your hand so you cant use the mana to cast anything from your hand. Discarding your hand isn't even going to help for the Barren Glory because the only way to get rid of the lands is with the Spite.
styx^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cast at least 1 thing with LED.
pg8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cast 1 thing with LED, but only if its on top of your library so you draw it with top. Too much work, I think.

I'll try out the extra Caverns. I've been trying to stay away from lands that can't help with Kaervek's Spite, but extra Urborg could cover that. Moat and NDE are for the many times where you simply don't see a Spite and you need to win (or not lose) right away. I'm thinking Brainstorm is also a really good addition, if only to shuffle away Barren Glory. And ShamedShadow, that list kinda needs a Bayou.
Spyx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't run the moat since insectile aberation and griselbrand kinda laugh at it.
styx^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too familiar with moat, so i gotta make myself look like a moron :E.. why do they laugh at it?
pg8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

styx^ wrote:
Not too familiar with moat, so i gotta make myself look like a moron :E.. why do they laugh at it?

Because they fly.

Is there a better replacement, though?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so much card-disadvantage cards like worldly tutor etc in your deck, you might try Ensnaring Bridge.

What makes this deck worse than Shared Fate ?
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:

They have one more turn after you resolve your enchantment to draw into an out. With Shared Fate the second it hits the board they are drawing dead.
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:
With so much card-disadvantage cards like worldly tutor etc in your deck, you might try Ensnaring Bridge.

Fine, Flippi, I'll play your deck... It is fun...
Spyre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what would be worth splashing red for in this? Greater gargadon. ^^
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1