Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priority questions

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
116.3. Which player has priority is determined by the following rules:

116.3a The active player receives priority at the beginning of most steps and phases, after any turn-based actions (such as drawing a card during the draw step; see rule 703) have been dealt with and abilities that trigger at the beginning of that phase or step have been put on the stack. No player receives priority during the untap step. Players usually don't get priority during the cleanup step (see rule 514.3).

116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.

116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action, that player receives priority afterward.

116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. If any mana is in that player's mana pool, he or she announces what mana is there. Then the next player in turn order receives priority.

To super-simplify this, you have priority when it is your turn or whenever your opp wants to do something.
Mrrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a bit older, but from what i can see still relevant explanation:

http://www.essentialmagic.com/articles/thestack.asp
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I play a creature, then I cast it. My opponent takes priority to play something before it enters to battlefield? Apart from common counters. I don't know, play whatevever card, an instant.

Yes here is how it would work.

You cast your creature.
Then you have the option to play more spells and abilities before you pass priority.
Then you pass priority.
If your opponent doesn't do anything, When he pases priority back to you, the creature spell will resolve (if he does cast something, you will end up getting priority again).
Hoaxed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
Quote:
When I play a creature, then I cast it. My opponent takes priority to play something before it enters to battlefield? Apart from common counters. I don't know, play whatevever card, an instant.

Yes here is how it would work.

You cast your creature.
Then you have the option to play more spells and abilities before you pass priority.
Then you pass priority.
If your opponent doesn't do anything, When he pases priority back to you, the creature spell will resolve (if he does cast something, you will end up getting priority again).

Actually if he does cast something, he has priority first.
As described by 116.3c
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thread seems to be over-complicating the idea of "priority."

Simply put, at any given time only one person can cast a spell or activate an ability. This is the person with priority. When a phase/step begins, or a spell/ability resolves, the person whose turn it is (active player) gets priority first.

If both players pass priority in succession without doing anything, the top object on the stack resolves, or if the stack is empty, the current phase/step ends.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clariax, people do need a refresher on priority, i hate like for example, i play a creature and they immediately play a kill spell targeting it. im like no, you can't do that yet. most of the time they get huffy. and its like you can't; until i do something else or pass the phase. it really is a common problem, and not just cuz i live in WV =P
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1