Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goblin Standard Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Geral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Goblin Standard Deck Reply with quote

Well hello, im new here and ive allways loved goblins Very Happy . Im from the onslought time so i just came back and i wanted to make a standard goblin deck. After a few tests and plays around this is what i have:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
20 [MI] Mountain (2)

// Creatures
4 [RTR] Ash Zealot
4 [GTC] Foundry Street Denizen
4 [M13] Goblin Arsonist
3 [GTC] Hellraiser Goblin
3 [DKA] Hellrider
2 [M13] Krenko, Mob Boss
4 [GTC] Legion Loyalist
3 [PD2] Mogg Flunkies

// Spells
4 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
4 [M13] Searing Spear
2 [ISD] Brimstone Volley
3 [M13] Krenko's Command

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MM] Arms Dealer
SB: 2 [M12] Reverberate
SB: 3 [GTC] Skullcrack
SB: 2 [ISD] Traitorous Blood
SB: 3 [RTR] Electrickery
SB: 2 [M13] Smelt

Anyhow, the deck seems to work sometimes but just when i think its competitive i start to lose. The biggest problem i have is that sometimes i have lots of lands and nothing to play or viceversa. The deck used to have 2x Burn at the Stake, but i either won before i had it in my hand, or i didnt have lands/creatures to use it.

Please some feedback Very Happy thx.
poizonous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I have a few problems with the deck.

Ash zealot just makes the deck feel like RDW with a bunch of goblins thrown in. He is nice to come out of the SB but i dont see him as a mainboard creature here.

so - 4 Zealot

+ 4 Guttersnipe - Essential T2 goblin

Pillar of Flame as a 4 of is not going to cut it with gatecrash.

- 2 Pillar (Move to SB)
+2 Skullcrack (From SB)

Sideboard issues

I dont see reverberate being helpful from the SB, you are either mainboarding this card or taking up space in SB. 3 Arms dealer seem to be a bit much.

- 2 Reverberate
- 1 Arms Dealer

+ 3 Mizzium Mortars

should run a lot smoother with those changes. Let me know if you like my changes
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guttersnipe is a combo card -- not terribly useful in this list. I do think that Lightning Mauler is better than Ash Zealot so that you have more opportunities to go off with Krenko
Fefestars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ash zealot just makes the deck feel like RDW with a bunch of goblins thrown in. He is nice to come out of the SB but i dont see him as a mainboard creature here.

so - 4 Zealot

+ 4 Guttersnipe - Essential T2 goblin

No, Guttersnipe does nothing for this deck. The Deck plays 13 instants and sorceries and will use them most likely before Guttersnipe comes down (e.g. to burn away blocker/mana creatures, get those goblin tokens etc.).

Quote:
I do think that Lightning Mauler is better than Ash Zealot so that you have more opportunities to go off with Krenko

Not sure about this. Lots of creatures already have haste and playing four Mauler to 'combo' with only two Krenkos seems weak to me. If you'd like to add Lightning Mauler I would increase the number of Krenkos. But I think Ash Zealot is a stronk card to have for your deck.

Quote:
Pillar of Flame as a 4 of is not going to cut it with gatecrash.

- 2 Pillar (Move to SB)
+2 Skullcrack (From SB)

No, please think about what that deck tries to achieve: Play lots of little goblin cards on the first turns. Right now i count 15 maindeck creatures that are 1/1 or 2/2. To force through some damage this deck needs to blow away every blocker there is. Skullcrack doesnt help at all to achieve that goal. And only two of them wont help to burn out the opponents. The 'cant gain life'-effect will only help against certain decks (most likely control) and that's why you keep them in sideboard.

I like the idea of playing a goblin deck, but tbh I dont see this deck being competitive in the near future. It's like RDW but with weaker creatures. For example: Why would i play a Goblin Arsonist when I have Rakdos Cackler? Or why would I use a Foundry Street Denizen over Stromkirk Noble?

Ya, Krenko is a realy good creature and when the deckplan works and the opponent doesnt interact it's a fine aggro deck. But nowadays you have to fight your way through Bonefires, Terminates, Supreme Verdicts and lots of spotremoval. To win you have to kinda overcommit and then lose to any of those cards.
Strid3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have 4x Krenko, Mob Boss if you want to have a "goblin" deck and not a RDW
Geral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strid3r wrote:
You should have 4x Krenko, Mob Boss if you want to have a "goblin" deck and not a RDW

I had 4 krenkos but it usually comes a hand with 2 of them or even 3... thats why i just put 2.

Fefestars understands the deck but as he says the biggest problem i have are those Boros decks.... anyhow anymore suggestions or the deck will not be competitive in a near future?
Fefestars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cut the Goblin Arsonist (coz he is really bad) and would add another Hellrider, another Mogg Flunkies, a third Krenko and maybe another Brimstone Volley or another Krenko's Command. I dont think it's good, but maybe you can try Goblin Rally in sideboard against Wrath effects and stuff.

But tbh I think right now the deck lacks some good cards: some kind of Goblin Chieftain would be needed, Siege-Gang Commander would be strong and even Goblin Grenade would increase your damage output by a lot. As long as there ain't any of those cards with simular effects I dont think the deck can be competitive. It's just too slow/weak against the T1 decks.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you're forcing goblins just for the sake of it. As far as I know there are only 2 true goblin tribal cards in current T2 (Krenko and Arms Dealer). If you're not going all-in to take advantage of those, you might as well just play RDW.

Playing weak cards like goblin arsonist/krenko's command/foundry street denizen just to keep goblin theme alive isn't great.
Geral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems true goblins are fun and may win some competitive games, but it still lacks some better cards for now. Im thinking splashing some white to have boros charm, since as for now the problem is those big creature removal spells, any thoughts?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1