Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 185 -- unconventional costs (JUDGED!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuberr wrote:
Rushwood Invigorator - 2G

Creature - Spellshaper

Each opponent gains 3 life, T: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Activate this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

2/2

You forgot rarity.
MagusGee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:

Did you notice that this is ridiculously broken? I let you deal 1 damage to a million different targets: I make a 1000000/1000000 Ooze in your next end step.

Reworked the card and forgot to put the limit on it again. Editing. Thanks for pointing that out xD But if your oppononent did one damage to 1 million target creatures or players. Well, I suppose if you had a platinum angel on the field.
Omnom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind-sculptor Mage 1UB

Creature - Human Wizard (R)

Exile the top two cards of your library: Target opponent exiles the two cards of his or her library. Activate this ability only once each turn.

1/3
Canabiest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windswept Oasis
Land - Desert
Rare

Choose a creature you control, T: Add W or U to your mana pool. Windswept Oasis deals 1 damage to that creature.
Bairdsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muck Pile

Land (rare)

Muck Pile comes into play tapped unless you control a creature

TAP: discard a creature card; add 1 to your mana pool.

Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may untap Muck Pile.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stucco wrote:
Induce Amnesia...............1BB
Enchantment...................R

Discard a card: Target player discards a card then loses 1 life for each card he or she discarded this turn.

"I can't seem to remember how we even entered this god-forsaken mire."
So I discard 5 cards in 5 times and my opponent take 1+2+3+4+5 = 15 dmg
_Godica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:
Teysa, Ascended | 1WB
Planeswalker - Teysa (Mythic)

Whenever loyalty counters are added to Teysa, Ascended, target opponent gains that much life. Whenever loyalty counters are removed from Teysa, Ascended, target opponent loses that much life.

+3: Exile target creature

-1: Exile target creature in your graveyard, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

//2

This new one brings Teysa into the ranks of the Planeswalkers and her abilities are basically paid for with your opponent's life (by either gaining him life or making him lose it).

As you'll notice, she has no ultimate ability, but being a 3-mana enchantment that can exile a creature per turn seems good, imo.

Also, she can't be removed by combat damage or spells...

Edit 2: Set her default loyalty to 3, so it still punishes you for attacking it while not being unremovable by damage.

Planeswalkers weren't what I had in mind for activated abilities, but it does meet the requirements and "using" your opponent's life as a resource is a very cool idea. However, I don't think this particular card showcases that idea as well as it could. Also, seems a bit overpowered. Once you've used the +3 twice, she will probably never get killed. Combo decks (or anything else that wins by something other than attacking) would get way too much mileage out of this

7/10

Balaviaris wrote:
Zalef, the Mana Trader 2RU

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Mythic

Counter a spell you control: Counter target spell.

“-It is said that a fair bargain leaves both sides unhappy. I've yet to see Zalef unhappy.”

2/2

A very flavorful card that pairs a creative cost with a fitting effect. But turning path to exile, lightning bolt, vapor snag, thought scour, etc. into 1-mana counterspells is too powerful without some sort of drawback. The small body isn't enough, because what will ever kill it?

8/10

ShamedShadow wrote:
Hunter's Season 2G

Enchantment [Uncommon]

Exile a land you control: Target creature you control fights another target creature you don't control.

As we carved roads and paths over the hills and through the lands, the animals became increasingly easier to track.

---------

I guess the flavor of this kind of card would come from some sort of "Frontier" block/set, where the people are exploring the untamed world around them and taming it.

The reason it's Exile instead of sacrifice is because once you've paved over a section of earth with roads and towns, it's hard for nature to reclaim that or for it to still be usable.

In a set like you described, this would make a lot of sense. It's a powerful card (maybe a bit too good in limited, depending on the set) with a good top-down design. 95% of decks are not going to notice the difference between exiling and sacrificing a land, though, so it seems a bit like you just made it that way to make it fit the CaC. However, exiling makes this a slightly less devastating combo with knight of the reliquary or sun titan, so I can see why it might be printed this way.

8/10

Strid3r wrote:
Ooze Swamp 2BG

Enchantment - Uncommon

Put two -1/-1 counters on a creature you control with thoughness 2 or more: Put a 1/1 black and green Ooze creature token onto the battlefield.

"Death is just a part of natural cycle." - Elf of Deep Shadow

Well balanced, but there's something missing. I just don't see the connection between making a big dude smaller and getting an ooze.

6/10

Domine wrote:
Ethereal Angel - 3UW

Creature - Angel

Flying

Return Ethereal Angel to your hand: You gain 3 life

3/3

Uncommon.

Great finisher for a control deck, as it is almost unkillable, the cost is a benefit and you also get some life.

This is a strong card that would go well in any control deck. I love the ability, but I don't think it's appropriate on an uncommon for limited's sake. It's a recurring chump-blocker that will gain you life in the process, or a reasonably strong evasive creature that can't be killed. That level of power and flexibility deserves to be rare, imo. Other than that small complaint, I like this card a lot.

9/10

Kuberr wrote:
Rushwood Invigorator - 2G

Creature - Spellshaper

Each opponent gains 3 life, T: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Activate this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

2/2

This seems like one of those awkward cards that gets printed every set just to keep limited interesting. That's not necessarily bad, though -- while this probably wouldn't see much play in constructed, it would add important strategic decisions to limited games. For that, I like it a lot. The cost seems a bit forced, though. The life gain could just as easily be part of the effect, with no real difference in the flavor or use of the card, and if it were printed it would probably be that way. Rarity is missing, probably common?

7/10

sc4rs wrote:
Bitterness Blade
Artifact - Rare
Sacrifice a creature: Bitterness Blade gains all colors of the sacrificed creature.
Remove a color from Bitterness Blade: Destroy target creature of the removed color.
Only more blood can wash it clean.

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is a set where changing something's color matters a lot more (i.e. a set where you could reprint Chaoslace, Purelace, etc. and have them maybe not suck as bad). This is one idea in that vein.

I love the idea of a card that gains and loses colors while doing its thing, and this is a good execution of that idea. If the color of this card is a "value" that can change every turn, it needs something physical as a reminder. Tokens, maybe? There might be playability issues too. Since it's dead against a deck that doesn't play the same colors as you, it's a sideboard card at best -- and I have a hard time imagining a matchup where there wouldn't be something else I'd rather be able to board in. Obviously this depends on the block, though.

8/10

MagusGee wrote:
Masochism
1BB

Enchantment

Your opponent deal 1 damage to up to X target creatures or players : Put X Pain counters on ~. Play this ability only once a turn, and only when you could play a sorcery. X Can be no greater than 5.

Remove X Pain counters from Masochism : Put a colorless X/X Ooze token on to the battlefield. Play this ability only once each turn.

I made sure that you could pop an ooze out if you needed on your opponents turn. Interesting, I think x3

This might be a wording issue, did you mean "X damage divided as they choose?" Because otherwise with no creatures there's no reason to make X less than 5, since you can only take 1 damage.

Turning life into dudes is fun and can be strong, but to keep this card balanced you've added too many restrictions. "Only when you could play a sorcery," "no greater than 5" and "only once each turn" applied to three different parts of the same card is a recipe for disappointment. A card like this has a fine line to walk -- too few restrictions and it's overpowered, too many and it's no longer fun to play.

7/10

AxiomBlurr wrote:

Implements of Ritual 1

Artifact - Mythic

1, T, Shuffle a card from your hand into your library: Choose a card you own from outside the game, reveal that card and then put it into your graveyard.

“And there I witnessed an ancient ritual with a mask and urn...” - Last words of Ali Ibn’s Occidental expedition journal.

Awesome card, one of the most creative I see here. I'm glad you made it shuffle in instead of discard. I'm still worried about the power level though. For a mere 1 mana, this card gives you more every turn than anything else I can think of. In legacy, resolving the ability more than twice would probably be a win, and with that consideration either the artifact or the ability needs to cost more.

9/10

pseudodespot wrote:
Evasive Mastermind 1U

Creature - Vedalken Wizard (rare)

U, T, Exile two or more target spells: Draw a card for each spell exiled this way.

2/1

This is well balanced, it can be very powerful in the right deck but requires careful play and is slow and small enough to not be completely overpowered. It doesn't seem fair to be able to exile your opponents' spells without even using the stack, though.

8/10

iSperia wrote:
Alarm Wake - 1RW
Instant - uncommon
As an additional cost to play Alarm Wake, untap three tapped creatures you control. Creatures you control get +1/+0 and first strike untill the end of turn.
"Alaaaaarm!" is the melody boros soldiers wake up with

I like the card, but it doesn't have an activated ability.

0/10

thelemys wrote:
Creeping Fungus 3GGG
Legendary Creature - Fungus R
Return a land you control into your hand: regenerate Creeping Fungus.
As long as you control Creeping Fungus, you can't play lands and opponents can't play lands if they control more lands than you.
4/4

It's my green version of Realm Razer, I think with a full green it may be more interesting.
Art source: http://voyeursmiiind.deviantart.com/art/Hoia-Baciu-188550317

I like this card, because it seems like it could be good in the right deck but bad in many. It's not the strongest 6-CMC creature for green, but may justify that with it's ability to stall the board. The flavor of the card and the effect of the ability don't really explain the land would be returned to hand instead of sacrificed, though.

8/10

Omnom wrote:
Mind-sculptor Mage 1UB

Creature - Human Wizard (R)

Exile the top two cards of your library: Target opponent exiles the two cards of his or her library. Activate this ability only once each turn.

1/3

Not the most powerful card, but people seem to like milling even when it's weak. The effect is fair and appropriate, but ultimately underwhelming. It doesn't mill enough to be useful for a mill win, and doesn't open up the possibilities it could if it used the graveyard instead of exile. It's not a bad card, but it's not interesting or powerful enough to be a rare.

7/10

Canabiest wrote:
Windswept Oasis
Land - Desert
Rare

Choose a creature you control, T: Add W or U to your mana pool. Windswept Oasis deals 1 damage to that creature.

An interesting card with several layers. A land that can't tap unless you have creatures is a significant drawback, especially in U/W. On the other hand, the longer the game goes the less the drawback matters, especially in U/W. No tap for colorless option is a good flavor decision, enforcing the desert theme. I'd like to see another ability though, since I can't think of a reason I'd rather have this in my deck than Glacial Fortress.

8/10

ck3gds wrote:
Essence Channeler 3G

Creature — Elf Shaman (rare)

T, Exile a creature card from your hand: Add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool, where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost plus one. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells.

He coalesces the strands of lifeforce from the aether into beautiful birds and towering colossi alike.

2/2

Not the most creative cost, but simple can be good. The cost/effect relationship already makes sense, and the flavor hits it home. Can be the overpowered enabler in a lucky hand, but most of the time it's powerful without being unfair.

9/10

Bairdsy wrote:

A new take on a classic. Neither ability is new, but I don't think they've been seen together before and it's an interesting synergy that rewards good decision-making.

9/10

Stucco wrote:
Induce Amnesia......................3BB
Enchantment...........................R

Discard a card: Target player discards a card then loses 1 life for each card he or she discarded this turn.

"I can't seem to remember how we even entered this god-forsaken mire."

I don't think changing the mana cost fixes all the issues. If you can empty your opponent's hand while you still have cards, this will prevent them from ever using the cards they topdeck. Combining hand denial and life-loss is a good decision, and the cost works well with the effect and the flavor, but I don't feel that hand denial and topdeck prevention should be combined in a single card.

6/10

Mrrr wrote:
Muck Pile

Land (rare)

Muck Pile comes into play tapped unless you control a creature

TAP: discard a creature card; add 1 to your mana pool.

Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may untap Muck Pile.

Great use of what could be a terrible cost, turning it instead into a potentially explosive combo piece. I love the design, and the drawbacks seem to make it fair -- but it's reminiscent of Bazaar of Baghdad, and that worries me.

8/10

---------------------------------------------------

It's a tough decision, but between Ethereal Angel, Implements of Ritual, Essence Channeler and Sengir Patriarch the winner is Sengir Patriarch! Congrats Bairdsy.

Honorable mentions to Windswept Oasis and Muck Pile, I had a hard time judging lands next to other more interesting (to me) card types.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg go next!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was thought to be part of a cycle of course, but the name I came up with fit U/W the most.
The reason to have it over Glacial Fortress is probably Block Constructed Wink
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing a +1/+1 counter to get a bat is obviously the most innovative that has ever been put on a card. No wonder this wins....

Rly?

There where tons of better choices, but oh well...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2