Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolve creatures

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Fefestars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it works this way:

Whenever a creature comes into play you get an evolve-trigger. Then the power of the creatures is checked on resolution.

Which means when you flash in an Snapcaster to get an extra counter it will not work. The first trigger resolves, your evolve-creature becomes 2/3 and then the second trigger is checked. But your first creature is only 2/2 so it has the same power now and you cant get another counter.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trigger condition is checked twice.

It is checked when the creature enters the battlefield. If the condition is not true at this time, the trigger doesn't go on the stack.

It is also checked when the ability resolves. If the condition is not true at this time, the triggered ability won't do anything.
StarWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar question though I assume the answer is no: what if I have a 1/2 evolve creature, and I play metropolis sprite. Am I allowed to pump metropolis sprite when it comes into play to evolve the 1/2, or does the ability not trigger at all because it had neither greater power nor toughness when it entered the battlefield? Comparing this to something like Triumph of Ferocity (which checks on resolution and has different wording), I assume this isn't possible, but wanted to make sure.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarWolf wrote:
I have a similar question though I assume the answer is no: what if I have a 1/2 evolve creature, and I play metropolis sprite. Am I allowed to pump metropolis sprite when it comes into play to evolve the 1/2, or does the ability not trigger at all because it had neither greater power nor toughness when it entered the battlefield? Comparing this to something like Triumph of Ferocity (which checks on resolution and has different wording), I assume this isn't possible, but wanted to make sure.

You are correct. When the sprite enters the battlefield, its power and toughness are checked, and because neither is higher the ability does not even go on the stack.
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

603.4. A triggered ability may read "When/Whenever/At [trigger event], if [condition], [effect]." When the trigger event occurs, the ability checks whether the stated condition is true. The ability triggers only if it is; otherwise it does nothing. If the ability triggers, it checks the stated condition again as it resolves. If the condition isn't true at that time, the ability is removed from the stack and does nothing. Note that this mirrors the check for legal targets. This rule is referred to as the "intervening 'if' clause" rule. (The word "if" has only its normal English meaning anywhere else in the text of a card; this rule only applies to an "if" that immediately follows a trigger condition.)

Are the ability conditions and the targets checked at the exact same time?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1