Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 color RAMP!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: 5 color RAMP! Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [AVR] Alchemist's Refuge
4 [GTC] Breeding Pool
3 [RTR] Temple Garden
3 [M13] Glacial Fortress
2 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
2 [M13] Sunpetal Grove
3 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb
1 [GTC] Watery Grave
1 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
1 [M13] Drowned Catacomb
1 [GTC] Godless Shrine
1 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
1 [GTC] Stomping Ground

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 [AVR] Griselbrand
4 [M13] Thragtusk
3 [M13] Rhox Faithmender

// Spells
3 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
4 [M13] Farseek
4 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
1 [M13] Elixir of Immortality
3 [GTC] Urban Evolution
2 [RTR] Chromatic Lantern
3 [M13] Ranger's Path
3 [AVR] Terminus

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [GTC] Urban Evolution
SB: 2 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 3 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 [M13] Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
SB: 3 [RTR] Rakdos's Return
SB: 3 [RTR] Slaughter Games
SB: 2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

This started as just a fun deck to play while I was giving up on making a successful control list. I liked playing ramp a lot but I started noticing something...it was winning much more frequently then I thought it should. So I looking into seeing if I could make it competitive and so far WOW. Right now it appears that the meta is very aggro heavy which is good for this deck, right now its practically pre boarded for the aggro matchup so if that ever changes the main deck might need to change a little to compensate, but right now its pretty incredible.

Creatures

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim: So this one was a late addition to the deck and solved many problems the original list had. The main weakness this list originally had was that its ramping was slow and inconsistent. The only 2 mana ramp spell in standard is farseek which means that many times you spent your first 3 turns pretty much twittling your thumbs which is completely unacceptable in this meta. So in order to solve this problem I tried out arbor elf which was AWESOME and really helped solve the consistency problem. My main concern with this idea originally was that they are vulnerable to removal however I quickly found out that this was not a problem since if my opponent spent mana killing it they weren't spending mana slamming me with aggressive creatures so the ramping speed that I lost was compensated by my opponent not killing me as quickly. Also late in the game he can play the role of chump blocker. The reason I changed from arbor elf to pilgrim is because sometimes you dont get a "forest" as your green source in the early turns which makes your one drop pretty anemic. And considering how easy it is to get all colors online on time the loss in flexibility is negligible. Also he's another body for wolf run.

4 Thagtusk: What better things to ramp into...best creature in the format right now for fighting the aggro decks. There isn't much that can be said about thrag that has not already been said.

3 Rhox Faithmender: I'm always surprised just how good he is against aggro, especially now. First off, it turns your good life gain into insane life gain second he's got a huge amount of toughness. Also he's particularly good at fighting off rekoners (something that thragtusk cant do that well). What happens is you block a reckoner, you do one to it, and it does one too you, but you gain 2 in lifelink so you net 1 life. Also he combines well with wolf run.

1 Grisselbrand: This is one slot that I'm not entirely confident in. I wanted one big bomb that can end the game but he isn't very consistent in it. Sometimes he's just overwhelming, other times he's just a nice roadblock or eats a ultimate price or victim of night so there might be something better to replace him with.

Ramp

4 Farseek: staples of ramp. You want your mana as fast as possible

2 Chromatic Lantern: didn't want to many of these since 3 mana is a bad spot in your curve for a ramp spell. But it makes it so you never have mana issues and helps your ramp after you cast one of your early ramp spells

3 Ranger's Path: These used to be gilded lotuses, but my mana already reaches arbitrarily large amounts and I would rather use the cheaper one that thins my deck instead of the bigger one.

3 Urban Evolution: This combines 2 things this deck loves, card advantage and ramp. Very good spell in this deck.

Wraths

3 Supreme Verdicts: 4 mana is a good spot in the curve and its uncounterable which makes it useful against control decks that use creatures or blue aggressive decks.

3 Terminus: these are a little more expensive but there are a lot of creatures in standard right now that are very resistant to removal however there aren't many creatures that are resistant to this. Also every now and then you miracle it which is nearly always incredible.

Others

4 Sphixes Revelation: resolving one of these is like resolving a Jace, its SOOOOOOOOO hard to loss at that point. Also this is just stupid when you have a faithmender on the battlefield.

1 Elixir of Immortality: First off, this is an out against those mill control decks, second off it keeps you from killing yourself when you try to sphixes for like 12-19. Also it lets you put your threats back into your deck since there arent that many of them in the first place.

Special Lands

2 Alchemist's Refuge: Probably one of the most important cards in the deck. It makes it so that you can cast your wraths durring combat, before combat, eot. Also you can use it like psudo haste playing cards at the end of your opponents turn and swinging when you start your turn.

1 kessig wolf run: This turns everyone into a win condition and with all the mana, its pretty huge.

anyways thats the deck. Hope you liked it, tell me what you think
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strictly worse than the existing one - which is really a joke deck that can occasionally eke out a win.
poizonous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and disagree with the previous posts. The deck as is, is well bad. If has no win condition. With all the cards your drawing you cant even hope to win by milling your opponent to zero. with all that ramp you may as well throw a door to nothingness in there, or even a devil's play that can hit for a game winning blow late in the game with all the ramped mana. I totally disagree with Rhox being in the maindeck here. What I propose is switching up only about 10 cards in the deck.

- 3 Faithmender

+ 2 drogskol reaver
+1 Griselbrand

- 1 Urban Evolution
- 1 Ranger's Path

+ 1 Door to Nothingness
+ 1 Devil's Play

Okay so now you have win conditions. But still no way to get them definitively, so we do this.

- 4 mana dorks. Face it with all the board wipes they are going to be more useless than useful.

+ 2 increasing ambition
+ 1 rakdos' return
+ 1 nicol bolas

Now your deck has a lot more win conditions. Reply and let me know what you think of the changes
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Barandis: Thanks for the input, like I said, the original version ramped "into something" usually being omniscience door to nothing but that was very bad since a lot of those cards are dead till you have all your mana and take up too many slots in the deck, and caused to many situations where your hands were virtual mulligans as such all the cards in the deck (except griselbrand) are cards that are good in my opener and better late in the game so many of them have lower cmc then most things in a ramp deck.

Now since I've been playing this deck more then you guys have a lot of these things seem more obvious to me then to people who have not played it so much. What that large amount of mana lets me do is cast incredibly large sphinxes revelations, activate alchemist refuge for terminus/thrag/grisselbrand or combinations of them, or fireball my opponent with kessig wolf run.

So no I'm not ramping into one thing, I'm ramping into the ability to do more things then my opponent, a lot more things. Usually the win is just EOT terminus thrag thrag.

This strategy does not use up slots in the deck for cards that are dead till you win which is important in a slower deck in an aggro format.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know a lot about this format yet as I am not playing a lot of magic atm so take my words with a pinch of salt. What I will say though is 7 board sweepers and mana dorks is a big deck building no no. Some one pointed it out before I think and I agree, pilgrims do not belong in this deck.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
I do not know a lot about this format yet as I am not playing a lot of magic atm so take my words with a pinch of salt. What I will say though is 7 board sweepers and mana dorks is a big deck building no no. Some one pointed it out before I think and I agree, pilgrims do not belong in this deck.

Fully aware, if you read my article it addresses this issue.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1