Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New "Fun" Other Format - Super Legacy

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Steveman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: New "Fun" Other Format - Super Legacy Reply with quote

So last night we were having a discussion about a possible new format that would be fun and exciting to play that I dubbed as "Super Legacy."

Super Legacy is simple, it's Legacy with the following cards unbanned

- Bazaar of Baghdad
- Earthcraft
- Goblin Recruiter
- Hermit Druid
- Mana Drain
- Mental Misstep
- Mind's Desire
- Mishra's Workshop
- Oath of Druids
- Skullclamp
- Survival of the Fittest
- Yawgmoth's Bargain

I want this format to be exactly how it sounds: Super LEGACY, meaning I want to unban cards that AREN'T restricted in Legacy. The two exceptions to this rule are Mind's Desire and Yawgmoth's Bargain because there's absolutely no way to give combo decks a boost without unbanning a card that's unrestricted in Vintage.

The unbannings were carefully selected to boost as many archetypes as possible while keeping a system of checks and balances to make sure nothing is too degenerate. Here's how I broke it down.

Aggro / Aggro-Combo (Creature-based strategies)
- Skullclamp
- Goblin Recruiter
- Oath of Druids
- Survival of the Fittest
- Earthcraft

Control
- Mana Drain
- Mental Misstep

Storm-based Combo
- Mind's Desire
- Yawgmoth's Bargain

Graveyard-based Combo
- Bazaar of Baghdad
- Hermit Druid

Prison
- Mishra's Workshop
Iso1nano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem i forsee is it just turning into vintage format without p9 ? for instance dredge and then other combo decklists vrs turn one trinisphere ..... trinistax would be dominant for a while do to workshop what about restricting them instead of unbanning them.....
Steveman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso1nano wrote:
the problem i forsee is it just turning into vintage format without p9 ? for instance dredge and then other combo decklists vrs turn one trinisphere ..... trinistax would be dominant for a while do to workshop what about restricting them instead of unbanning them.....

I disagree. Remember, Storm Combo was at its peak when x4 Trinisphere was legal in Vintage. For example, TPS played Wasteland + high number of basics to combat Stax. There's also plenty of answers that Stax will just scoop to such as Hurkyl's Recall. Also, Dredge is a direct counter to Stax because it doesn't need to cast a single spell to win the game. Oath and other Aggro decks are also very strong against Factory based decks.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJ Steveman!

Gonna go brew some Mind's Desire now. Finally, can relive the glory days of UW Desire.
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyword is "fun"
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think unabnning Bazaar of Baghdad would make super legacy dredge faster than vintage dredge because you can run 4 LEDs?
pg8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
I think unabnning Bazaar of Baghdad would make super legacy dredge faster than vintage dredge because you can run 4 LEDs?

Why would Vintage dredge want to play LED?
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... So turn 1, you play Bazaar then LED. Crack LED, discard a dredger/fatesticher, resolve Bazaar activation, use the blue mana for fatestitchers and then GG. The Black Lotus and Lotus Petal could definately be replaced with LEDs which would make room for 3 total LED's. Mox Sapphire or Ancestral Recall might be able to be taken out for the 4th.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/22511_2011-Vintage-World-Champs-Report--Challenge-Accepted---.html
pg8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
mmm... So turn 1, you play Bazaar then LED. Crack LED, discard a dredger/fatesticher, resolve Bazaar activation, use the blue mana for fatestitchers and then GG. The Black Lotus and Lotus Petal could definately be replaced with LEDs which would make room for 3 total LED's. Mox Sapphire or Ancestral Recall might be able to be taken out for the 4th.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/22511_2011-Vintage-World-Champs-Report--Challenge-Accepted---.html

A lot of dredge lists don't play Lotus or Fatestitcher anymore.
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I haven't really been kepping up with it, but if you can use 4 Bazaar and 4 LED I have a feeling Dredge would be a really good deck until it gets played too much and hated out with sb.
Steveman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's going to be a lot of Rock / Paper / Scissors going on. Dredge will beat Stax but lose to Storm Combo and possibly Goblins. Stax will have an edge against Storm but lose to Oath / Dredge, etc.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1